Adam Rippon's Quad Lutz

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jenna, May 10, 2011.

1. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

As nice as this is looking, with the current degree of under-rotation, my money is still on Plushenko to get there first. I bet he's kicking himself a little that he never tried it again after CoR 2001, because this is going to come down to one simple thing: the order that the GPs are run in.

I think it would be kind of unfair if Plushenko (or someone else) has got there first in practice but he doesn't get to be the first because CoR is the second or third GP of the season and he doesn't get assigned the first or second.

2. floskate

floskate Vacant

Why would it be unfair? No one has landed this cleanly in competition. Who ever does it first and has it ratified by the tech panel will have the honour of a place in history. There are so many skaters who did amazing things in practice but who never put them out in competition for a number of reasons; playing safe, didn't need it, fell, 2-footed, tried too hard and popped etc etc. There are a number of men who could land triple axels before Vern Taylor in 1978. Some tried them in competition (McKellen, Matsumura), others didn't (David Jenkins, Robin Cousins). But Vern Taylor has the footnote despite the fact that the one Jenkins landed in practice in 1957 was of way better quality! It's up to the skater and how much it actually matters to them. :)

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

floskate,
    Thank you.
    :respec:

4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

What you said!

5. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Beautiful - I love the cheering after he lands the jump. Thanks for sharing the link!

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the first throw triple axel in international competition almost immediatly followed, in the same competition, by another throw triple axel? (Maybe I'm misremembering).

Imagine "the record books" being set only by the draw order, not even the competition schedule.

Life isn't fair. I hope Rippon does the first one. His lutzes are AMAZING. Plushenko has a lot of "oomph" but Rippon's seem effortless to me.

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Yay Adam - keep it up! :hat1:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. foreverkwanfan

foreverkwanfan Member

I think it's funny that a few people are saying this jump is underrotated and so forth. This is one jump. Who knows how many he did that day? This is just one attempt that was recorded. Off season has just started summer hasn't even officially started. Adam has a lot of time to get this 4 lutz to near perfection.

9. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: Showing your bias much? Exactly what floskate says.

10. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

This!

In Salt Lake City I did feel a little bit sad for Frederic Dambier in the sp though. He landed his 4 salchow, but an hour earlier or so, Timothy Goeble landed his 4salchow and became the first man in olympic history to do so. That's life, the draw decided who went down in the history books.

11. misskarne

Jeezus Christ, you try to make a point in this place and you get dogpiled.

I said Plushenko OR SOMEONE. I didn't say it had to be him. I still think it's most LIKELY to be him. But if it came down to, say, Skate Canada, and it hadn't been done yet, and Chan got the "record" because he was the skate before Adam, that'd still be unfair, because Adam's Lz is much nicer-looking than Chan's. IMO.

Obviously life's not fair. But it's also not fair that you can't state an opinion in this place without getting dogpiled. I wasn't attacking anyone, I wasn't being rude or overly harsh or unfair. I made an observation of opinion that Adam's 4Lz was slightly underrotated (which it was but who knows what his other practice jumps were like?), and followed it up with a stream-of-consciousness comment.

12. fscric

fscric Active Member

How is Chan being dragged into this is beyond me :rolleyes:

Even if Chan's lutz is less nicer looking, if he landed it before anybody else then he's got the record, how is it unfair? But don't worry, I don't think Chan is going for the quad lutz, so the record will be left to those who can do a better looking lutz.

13. luCN

luCN New Member

er ha~UNFAIR?It's rediciouls :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

the opportunity is there,everyone can do it,try it or not,land it or not,it's just about themself.

yes,Adam try it in practise,but do you know how many people have tried that?

do you know the chinese player Jialiang Wu practice 4Lz for a long time???

but if other person land it in competitions,we won't blame them and shout it's UNFAIR!!!!!! ╮(╯_╰)╭:rollin:

plus,am I the only person who never found adam's lz is better than anyone else?

14. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I don't give a rat's axel if Adam is the first or the 10th to land this in competition. I just want to see him return "with a fire in his belly" and compete like the beautiful skater that many of us love.

15. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Nope, I&B's throw triple axel was done in the SP at the 2006 Olympics. No other team tried it in competition for years after that.

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Ditto!

17. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Ditto number two.

18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I think that was the throw quad salchow.

19. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  20. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

21. ros01

ros01 New Member

Skittl, you might be thinking of the brief resurgence of the ladies 3x (now it's just Mao, I think). I remember there was all that buzz about Meissner, Nelidina? and Mao, and it just seemed like 3x after 3x for a teeny little while.

22. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

That would be Nakano and Nelidina at Skate America 2002. Though Nelidina's was really quite small and unimpressive.

23. misskarne

Oh my god, it was a freaking EXAMPLE. I just typed Chan because he happened to be the first other skater that popped into my head. If I'd said Abbott no doubt you'd all be dogpiling me too.

You lot are really impossible to deal with.

24. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

25. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

bye.

26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

misskarne, I'm a little confused at how it's unfair. I agree that it's beyond the skater's control, if that's what you mean, but unfair suggests something completely different.

Look at it this way: the skater who goes for it later as the advantage of having more time to prep/perfect it. Do you believe that's unfair to skaters who skate earlier in the GP season?

27. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

It's a message board. Do you think that you somehow should be exempt from anyone commenting on your posts? There's a saying about how if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen.

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think their is a problem with the word "fair". It means a lot of different things to different people.

When I think of "fair" in the terms of sports- I think of rules being enacted properly and giving all skaters their best chance at winning.

But when I think of "fair" in the game of life, I think of it as "wouldn't it have been nice if the chips had fallen another way". I mean, it's not fair that I have very little athletic ability, and thus my skating sucks. Or it's not fair that I didn't get to skate as a child. Or it's not fair that Dick Button didn't have access to the athletic technology we have today- if he did, maybe he could have landed the quad lutz.

Fair is kind of a silly word. Nothing is fair, everyone has a problem with something. (It's not fair that we can't even reply to some posters without them thinking we are attacking them... or is it not fair that they can't post without being attacked?)

29. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Um, if you consider that a dogpile, you need to get thicker skin. You know, opinions work both ways. If you state an opinion, you have to know that other people will state their opinion of what you said. That's how message boards work.

To whom is it unfair? Other skaters? Plushenko? I wasn't aware that figure skating revolved around fairness to Plushenko.

You're not required to deal with us, you realize that, right?

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Floskate's post was fine, but the forty-eleven subsequent posts chastizing misskarne are dogpilling.

Moving on to the point of the thread: Yea Adam :cheer2: I would hate for a skater with such talent not to live up to their potential. Hoping this season ends much better than last year.