Adam Rippon to be coached by Rafael Arutyunyan in Lake Arrowhead, Calif.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 11, 2012.

1. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

It's about technique and the axel is more dependent on great technique than any other jump. For whatever reason, he doesn't have great technique, he doesn't step up into the axel quite like the men who have consistent axels, and then tends go off axis as he shifts his hips & weight over his right side getting into the backspin position.

2. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

^Exactly. Adam doesn't have good technique on the axel, that's why it's inconsistent. New coach=new technique, possibly more consistency.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Maybe he'll bring the curls back in a modified way at some point if he feels it will work with a future program. Right now, Adam is likely trying to focus on crafting a look that will fit the programs he has prepared for this season. Sure, it is a shame to flatten down such gorgeous natural bouncy abundance. But I'm for anything that helps Adam get his mojo working for him. AdaRipp, Rip ON!

4. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Seems like he's grasping at straws.

5. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Arutunian & Carroll hardly seem like grasping at straws - GO ADAM!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Seems to me like Adam is not giving up or giving in. I wouldn't refer to what any hardworking athlete does as "grasping at straws." Easy for us non-athletes on the outside looking in to be dismissive.

7. tkaug

tkaug New Member

To consider that he's changing coaches so quickly,
    I just don't see he's going to succeed with Arutyunyan IN A SHORT TIME.
    That looks like what he's looking for and
    Morozov would have been the best for him in terms of that.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Adam's young. If something doesn't seem like it's working then why not try something else? Last season under Jason and Yuka, Adam's approach to his 3A seemed more cautious and labored than in previous years. I think it's good to have a technical coach like Rafael work with him on this. Maybe the 3A will be the one jump that will never be Adam's friend, similar to Lambiel's, but he has to try something different.

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Adam is turning 23 in about a month, is that really considered young for skating? Most would consider him a long shot to make Pyeongchang in 2018 because of the age he will be then. Sochi is his goal, and I'm not sure all these coaching changes so close to then will help him get fast results. Moving around takes time, adjustment, and idk, it seems like he's working for a quick fix to get a consistent 3a and quad, and to be honest, he'd probably be more likely to achieve that if he stuck with one coach and just sought out additional help.

10. tkaug

tkaug New Member

Personally I don't care if he changes his coaches again and again as long as he still has something good that he learned from former coaches, but I don't see it in him at all. I wonder if it's really an issue with the coaches.

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Sochi is his main goal, but there is more to the sport than the Olympics. I am sure that if he were to win a medal at Worlds in 2015 or 2016, he would be a very happy man.

12. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Because he jumps like a girl (he has a faster rotation). Men usually jump with power, they jump higher, using more their legs to gain enough strength for their jump. Ladies usually have a lower elevation, but rotate faster. There are a few exceptions, of course. Hanyu is one of them in the men, and Kostner in the ladies.

13. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Well-Known Member

Which seems to confirm that having a 3A is nothing to do with muscle power. I'll add Mao Asada to the list, she looks like you could snap her between your fingers, and she can do it. Skaters of widely different builds do that jump. I think re Adam, it's a mental block thing.
    As an aside, I've seen him in person a couple of times and he doesn't look scrawny or frail to me!

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If your technique is good, you don't need a lot of power and strength.

Jumps are all about good use of edges and correct timing.

Rippon's axel technique looks :yikes:.

Changing your coach again and again in hope that they will provide you with a magic fix looks like grasping at straws.

Especially given that by his own admission, Sato and Dungjen seemed to have a very good attitude (and if they could make Czisny land fully rotated jumps... ;)).

Maybe he really was unlucky with his coaching relationships. But this could also point towards a failure to take responsibility for himself (what berthesghost said).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

23? Wow, he looks 16 :lol:

16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Dear Nikolai:

Thanks for NOT teaching me the 3axel and leaving me to figure it out on my own. See where it's gotten me?

Not coming back,

Adam

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  17. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

I wish he had gone to Arutunian when he left Morozov. Arutunian didn't have a prominent senior since Jeff retired.

By the way, Jeff was 22 and several months when he went to Arutunian. There is a hope for Adam!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  18. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I disagree considering he has Takahashi, Amodio, Leanova... I am beginning to reconsider even my own negative thoughts about this. It's Adam who gets up every day and trains until exhaustion not us or his coaches. As long as this was not a flippant decision then I wish him the best.

I do think that the key for Adam is ownership. Ownership of both the technique as well as the progress.

19. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Lambiel is exactly the person who came to mind. With that, Adam will either own the axel or own the difficult quads. Without them, he just does not leave the same impression on an audience or judges to influence them to mark him higher.

In my observation, Jason and Yuka give their skaters space to work things out themselves. It sounds like Adam wants more of a hands on, i'm going to flat out tell you what to do every minute of every hour approach. Its almost like he wants what Patrick Chan is turning away from as coaching styles go.

Either way it goes, I wish him the best.

20. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

This all sounds more like a psychological problem than anything. He's probably a little scared of the jump, so he doesn't fully commit. Stepping up and shifting the weight over the right side is scary when you aren't sure about the jump in the first place.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Some positive hearsay I received: In a recent training session with Arutunian, Rippon reportedly "looked very focused and his jumps all looked very solid including the 3A." Sounds encouraging and I hope it will carry over to competition this season.

Nan, alilou, kwanette and 5 others like this.
  22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

After all the "doom and gloom"/writing off Adam as a contender, it's great to hear some good news!

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Nathan Chen just scored 75.15 for his SP in his JGP debut, so maybe he really can offer Adam advice and be a good training partner. I imagine his 3a must be pretty good to garner such a score as a newcomer at an international junior event. Raffael knows what he's doing, so I hope Adam will find something that works so he can stay put for awhile.

24. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

You can watch Nathan's SP with the triple axel as his opening jump on youtube. It's on the isujgp youtube page.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I think Adam can offer Nathan advice, too. :D However, both will likely follow Arutunian's advice above all.

ETA:
    For those who don't have access to the Kiss and Cry section (where this competition is being discussed in the JGP Austria thread), the link is posted in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84703

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Nah. Nathan has Asian hair. The last thing he needs is advice on how to straighten his hair or how to keep it curly and Shirley Temple's cute. :p

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It takes athletic ability as well. Skaters don't go to the gym and train off-ice for no reason. If you are pre-pubescent you might get by on quick rotation alone, but he isn't.

28. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

what else will these help him other than his axels ? :confused:
    I dont' know much about Arturyan other than a few of his coaching students careers, can someone give me a brief

29. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:respec:

30. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Good for Goldilocks (no more). Sounds like it's paying off. Good luck Adam. You can do it.