Adam Rippon to be coached by Rafael Arutyunyan in Lake Arrowhead, Calif.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

On the overall scheme of things Yuka and Jason (esp Yuka) are very inexperienced coaches. Yuka went from a novice coach in 2010 to being the go-to person in two years. That was expecting perhaps too much from a "young" coach like her.

2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Looking forward to Adam strengthening his technical skills this coming season. Good luck Adam.
    I miss Adam's goldilocks!:(

3. Bogie

Bogie Active Member

I agree. I also think that if something's not working, better to cut your losses and seek out help from an expert who has proven that he can teach a good triple axel. Adam is a great talent and I give him props for assessing his needs in order to regain his place as one of the top U.S. men in the run-up to Sochi.

4. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

The Lake Arrowhead altitude will be good for him.

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

This is a pleasant surprise! I've got a feeling that this is gonna work for Adam, finally! Hope I'm not jinxing him, though.

6. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Forgive me if it doesn't work this way, but I would have thought that if you are trying to get a certain jump or element consistent, chopping and changing coaches would be the worst idea you could have...

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes. Different coaches will have different technique and adjusting may take time.

8. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Same here. I hope he brings back his curls, but that's totally his decision.

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Now launching the BRING BACK ANGEL BOY! campaign :p

10. isamelia

isamelia Member

I wonder if Adam switching coaches now was a result of US Figure Skating suggesting it at Champs Camp. Otherwise, wouldn't he have made the change sooner, like right after Worlds, since he is saying he felt he needed a new direction after that competition last March? There's no better technical coach than Rafael in my opinion. I just question the timing.

11. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I guess I am an in the minority, but I think this may be a good move for Adam. Rafael is a good strong technical coach which can only help Adam.

Some skaters may thrive in a camp with as many strong skaters as Sato/Dungjen have, but I can also see how some skaters may feel they need they have to be at the top of their game every day and feel overwhelmed.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Article with quotes from Rippon: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120912&content_id=38300996&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm very hopeful for Adam.
    Advice and counsel from Frank seems a wise move.

14. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I feel this tells the tale.
    Basically they told him that success had to come from within, he needed to be more self motivated. So he decided to look for more of a babysitter.

And I'm so sure that orser coached an oly and world champ and sato a nat champ by being "hands off". :lol:

15. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I agree with all of you. I am an uber - but the 3A seems to be a mental block for him. At some point in time he either gets it or moves on.

I would love to see him do something way different for him - not lyrical but edgy.

16. inskate

inskate Active Member

Well, to be fair, I think that he basically meant that he was the most successful while working with Morozov, and you don't get a more "hands on" :grope: approach than that. :slinkaway

I'm really sorry, I couldn't resist. :cold:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  17. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think his problem is physical not mental. He just isn't powerful enough to get around more than 3 times.

18. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that that is exactly what Orser thought but Adam wouldn't listen. Maybe Adam has matured and is now ready to listen and learn. Sometimes it is not so much who the coach is as whether or not the athlete has reached a point where they are really ready to listen and do as they are told. Let's hope Adam is now at that point.

19. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I'm also concerned about all the changes, but still wishing Adam the very best!

20. mathil

mathil Active Member

If power is the issue, then how come Hanyu has such a consistent 3A? Or the young junior skaters like Boyang Jin?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I assume power related to leg/quad muscles, not so much upper body strength.

22. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Me too. I like what Rafael did with Jeff Buttle and his 3/Axel

23. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Well, sounds like someone is closer to realizing that THEY are the problem.

24. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Hanyu has great speed and very pure technique. Certainly, there are plenty of slight skaters capable of landing 3a and quads consistently. Brezina and Farris are examples of skaters with beautiful 3a jumps, also capable of landing quads, that aren't big muscly guys but if you notice they don't hestitate before going into the jump but rather fling themselves into it, so they don't have to be super strong/muscular to get the jump around and land it. But for someone like Adam who skates fairly slowly, doesn't have the strongest jump technique, and tends to stalk his jump entrances, getting these jumps around and landed can become more a factor of muscling them out, which someone who is built like Adam isn't as capable of doing compared to some other skaters who are noticeably strong/muscular in their build like Joubert, VanDerPerren, etc, who can usually land the big jumps without a perfect takeoff or a lot of speed going in.

25. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Adam used the summer to build muscle and strength. He said it helped with his jumps.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Maybe because his timing is pretty great or because he's scrawny...

27. mathil

mathil Active Member

I understand now, thanks! Orser's approach was quite sensible, then. If he'd stayed with him he might have already solved the issue, but then Adam was younger and likely, less patient... he appears to have learned now. Let's hope it all turns out well for him and that he doesn't change coaches again if this season doesn't go as well as he wants... he needs to settle down until at least Sochi, IMO.

28. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ There were some other issues that cropped up with Orser (not sure what it stemmed from but Orser seemed impatient with Adam in the kiss 'n cry during their last season together, and Adam seemed embarrassed and uneasy). From the IN article quotes, Adam apparently is crediting Yuka and Jason for what he learned under their tutelage, and he has decided to move on in order to continue improving, and hopefully he will slay the specter of Axel Paulsen.

Hey, numbers123, didn't you read the early summer IN article about Adam working with Michael Seibert on a new, edgy fp with a "Mad Men" type theme? That is likely why Adam has eliminated his "Angel" curls -- in order to depart from a soft, lyrical persona. Great for Adam to do whatever works that allows him to find his own identity on the ice and fully express himself, rather than how others see him.

Adam, I will always looove you! Work hard in sunny California. Go get 'em!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Adam is the total skater, IMO. I want nothing more than to see him succeed and make the Worlds team this season.

KEEP THE CURLS, ADAM!!!

30. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

^