Adam Rippon reveals his new program music

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Interesting that he was initially presented with Prokofiev's R&J, but he ended up preferring Tchaikovsky's R&J instead. I'm the opposite as I'm a bigger fan of Prokofiev's version. Regardless, the program sounds great and I'm very excited to see it!

As for Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2, I'm right in line with Adam's love for that piece of music. I too could listen to it over & over. Hopefully he'll be able to present a program that's equally as beautiful as Lu Chen's incredible 1996 free skate to the same piece of music.

3. care bear

care bear Active Member

Russian classical music continues to inspire athletes ...

4. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I wish he were using Prokofiev's version of Romeo and Juliet instead, but I'm so excited to see his new programs anyway. I love that he's really focused on developing as a skater, both athletically and artistically. Can't wait to see what he does this season.

5. Valentina

Valentina New Member

not the most original choices but I'm excited to see him this season, he is cute and semes to be hardworker. Like Rock said, its really cool that is very focus on improve and get more mature. good luck Adam :)

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I just hope his programs this year will allow the audience to see a more dynamic Rippon. The LP last season was ZZzzzzz.

7. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't love the long program last year, although it definitely grew on me as the season went on (probably because he started skating it better). But I love Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 and will never tire of it, so I'm excited to see Rippon's new program. I really like his overall attitude, he really seems like a determined and hardworking kid.

8. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

If he skates this beautifully to music he didn't pick himself, I can't wait to see how beautifully he skates to his very favorite piece! :swoon:

9. care bear

care bear Active Member

Am I the only person who liked last year's LP? :cool:

10. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I really got to know the music and I really liked his long program. It was a very avant garde music selection last year with a degree of dissonance, but the more I listened to it and watched the choreography, the more I liked it.

11. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I just went out and relistened to the Prokofiev version. I think that it is far too pedantic and deliberate and might not suit Adam and the way that he skates. The Tchaikovsky IMO is far more lyrical and suits him better.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I agree. At first I didn't love it, but the performance at 4CC was so pretty and the music seemed just perfect for him. I hope Adam has a great season, I really love his skating

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

No, I loved it, and the Barber Violin Concerto is among my favorite concertos.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think I prefer more contrasting and melodic choices for Rippon. I positively hate his programs last season.

Can't wait to see which cuts he is using and how the programs will look!

15. PEKINGMOO

PEKINGMOO New Member

Ditto. It was so refreshing to watch a program and not hear an old warhorse or movie muzak. This year's choices are a little safe IMO, but at least it's NOT Carmen!!!

16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

So, the music choices are not unusual. In this ( rare) particular case I don't care, as I think Adam has enough sincerity and originality to make the classics come alive. I would be looking forward to his new programs regardless of his choices. I am actually kind of excited about Rach 2nd. As overused as it is, it is a great piece of music, and if Adam approaches it with fresh ears, the program can be a classic for ages. Adam has a great ability to listen to music and project romanticism, so I am hopeful.

17. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

LOL, I am completely the opposite. In recently re- watched Adam's performances at Worlds and once again was struck by how fluid, musical and sincere he is. I loved both his SP and LP.
    I am also very glad Adam is partcipating in choreography. A lot of of creative skaters do, at one point or another.. I am glad he starts early.

18. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

No. I loved it. Not an easy music, but he did it justice.

19. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I didn't feel like I got anything from his LP last season. He was too busy to connect. I was thinking "you know there is an audience watching you!"

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

He absolutely was fluid, musical and sincere but the way the music was cut didn't allow him to express himself.

In terms of expression and interpretation I think I much prefer what he did with Send in the Clowns from the 2009 season.

21. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Me, too..

I loved both of his programs from last year. There is an "Angel Boy" quality to his skating and I think that his purity came through in both of his programs..

Looking forward to both of his new programs..And, like Adam, I could listen to Rach 2 forever..

22. elanor

elanor New Member

I liked his LP from last season too. He doesn't have interpretation at this point to make such program really shine but it was a very pleasent one and the quality of his skating is already great. Plus he had wonderful and interesting music.

More music this season that was done to death and more. I guess it's better to give up and not expect something original from skaters. At least he's skating to the music he chose himself.

23. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Not at all; I thought they were great!!

Not thrilled with these overused music selections, but that's ok. Love me some Adam anyway! :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Does that include the people whose posting names are inspired by this piece? :cool:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    kimkom and (deleted member) like this.
  25. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

Love Adam. I'm also pleased that he seems to be getting some good support from USFSA. He's got great GP assignments and good buzz in the off-season.

I'm looking forward to seeing his programs.

26. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to get negative rep for this, but...well...I don't have any friends anyway, so... :rolleyes:

To be clear, I'm a Rippon fan. But, I'm going to be as delicate as I can here and suggest he lose about 10 lbs. I'm not saying he's overweight, but his body type is a little bottom heavy. He lacks jump height, speed and quickness on the ice while his stroking is slightly labored. I think this can all be noticeably improved with a leaner build and this could help him get to the next level.

Again, not being critical of him in general or encouraging him to start barfing up his dinner as there are safe and healthy ways to lean out a little, but you can bet I'll be pulling this post out of the archives when he does ultimately go in this direction.

However he approaches the coming cycle, I wish him success!

27. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that he struggles on the triple axel and that losing weight can help with jumps. No controversy here.

28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

This isn't just a response to your post - but to this theory.

I understand the concept - smaller = faster rotation, lightness = easier to get off the ground.

But what puzzles me is if it is universally better to be thinner and lighter for the sake of jumps - then why were Midori Ito and Tonya Harding the first 2 women to consistently land triple axels? In the history of women skaters they are certainly not the tiniest!

29. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

The really big legs and lower body only work for you if they generate a lot of power.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!