Adam Rippon on The Skating Lesson

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by axel12345, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Judging from Nationals, Rippon finally seemed to have the 3axel technique nailed under Arutunian so I wish him the best going forward. He is going to need a quad plus both 3axels and lutzes and every tenths of COP points to even have a chance in making the 2 men US Team to Sochi.

I have enough trouble as it is picking 3 men out of these 6: Aaron, Lysacek, Abbott, Rippon, Farris, Brown. And then there is also Miner and Dornbush. Realistically I doubt the USFS would leave home someone who isn't already some sort of National, World or Olympic Champion or someone who had Aaron's quad consistency.

Regarding TSL, I actually like that Dave has an opinion and a clear passion for skating. He clearly is a purist and prefers skaters' skaters like a Kwan or a Browning. His standard is very high and he has great taste :p. For me anyway, he is very relatable as a skating fan and webmaster. Also, I would hate for any new audience or fan to the sport to think or pass on any thought that hip thrusting on centre ice or absolutely ignoring the music but for a few flares here and there should be highly rewarded in competition.

2. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

I agree but the Sarah Hughes remark came out of nowhere.

3. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Try 2. US can only send 2 men.

Aaron and Abbott past national champs. Abbott is GPF champ. Rippon and Farris are junior world champs. Dornbush and Brown are JGPF champs. Miner none of the above. If you judge by past results, Miner would be the first one to leave out. But none of these men (except Lysacek) has ever been on the worlds podium. The best worlds result among them is like 6th or something. But in January USFS will simply send the top 2 at 2013 Nationals to the Olys. End of story.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as emotionally invested in US men as anyone here. Ultimately, I suspect US men will do more or less the same regardless of which two are sent to Sochi, which means somewhere between 6 and 15.

4. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Is Evan really going to compete next season? having had three years off, is there any way that he is going to be competitive anymore?

5. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Evan is supposedly planning to do the US Senior B in Sep, so (if he shows up) we'll get to see just what his competition level is then.

6. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I really like TSL's interviews. I learn so much
    As for the comment about SH, it was really more about the bad choreography and it was related to Adam wanting to be authentic when he does a Spanish program.
    Adam was a delight!

7. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have a different take. FWIW, Dave explained his wide eyes on his Aunt Joyce Formspring page once. It is a medical issue, a reaction to a certain prescription drug, and he is trying to work on it. Anyway, to me Jenny's gushy style and the way she constantly interjects herself into the interviews are annoying and unprofessional although she is capable of good questions and insightful comments, esp. on technical matters. Dave's knowledge of skating's history as well as its present is encyclopedic -- far, far beyond Jenny's. I have seen guests like Carroll and Bezic widen their eyes at the sharpness of his questions. His snarkiness is so much less than it was in the blog that I welcome it -- I miss AJICS! OTOH he has a very likeable sweet side that comes out on video, although he too can join in the gushiness a bit too much. I would like them both to keep it on the objective side, if they can manage to be enthusiastic and objective at the same time. They don't need to be telling the skaters how much they love them.

I do think this duo has a lot of potential. Their podcast is a great gift to skating. I am basically waiting for them to take over from Hamilton and Bezic.

As to Adam... an hour is too long for an interview with anyone but a legend, IMO. But I will check it out later.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I haven't watched this one or any of their podcasts in a while, but I don't mind the snark.

I'm not bothered by Dave's snarks, but I also don't pay much mind to them - his opinions and snarks are no more valuable, witty, or interesting than the snark of any FSU poster. He just happens to be friends with Jenny.

Where I think the snarking is worthwhile is that it creates a very relaxed and informal atmosphere, and the skaters are less uptight than in official interviews so they're more likely to be snarky too, and cut through a lot of the BS. Goebel's interview was great that way.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The questions are sometimes very long winded, and Dave sometimes asks the same questions more than once. NNN had to explain her feelings heading into the 2000 nationals at least three different times during the interview. Sometimes Dave also grasp at issues that aren't there; In the Chin interview, he was implying that Nick somehow publicly embarrassed Tiffany about her weight in the K+C. Tiffany was like "Huh?". TSL then showed the supposedly incriminating clip, and I was like "Huh? That's your smoking gun?"

10. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

This.^

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Kirk again shows her ignorance of CoP: a Rippon Lutz does not necessarily get the same points as a standard Lutz. The base value may be the same, but in the guidelines, it counts towards features in GOE.

12. TSL

TSL New Member

We would like to start for thanking you for all of your comments. We do read them and take everything into consideration. As we approach the next skating season, we feel like there are some clarifications that need to be made.

1. There are no specified roles on the show. As a former skater, Jenny is able to relate to many of the guests. Many of the guests are not always used to being so open and will look to Jenny for guidance or shared experience. It winds up being a major asset, as the responses from the guests are often much deeper than they might otherwise be. Many of the guests are aware of Dave's writings and are kept on their toes in advance. Guests are fully aware that we are going to be honest with them, but they are also assured that there will always be a level of fairness. We are not out to blast any guest. Though we may ask difficult questions, we allow them to speak and tell their story, which is one of the reasons why we rarely edit out portions of guests' answers or the interview. Rather than short soundbites, we want to give our guests the opportunity to speak fully and freely.

2. In other threads it was mentioned that Frank Carroll was offered a list of questions in advance. That is not correct. We have never offered guests a list of questions ahead of time. An upcoming guest did ask for them, but our policy has always been that we are looking to have an open, honest and candid conversation. Providing guests questions ahead of time is not a common practice by interview outlets. We also limit our pre-interview discussions with guests. There have only been two guests that we ever spent much time talking with during the lead up to the interview.

3. One commenter stated that 'Dave is only on the show because he is friends with Jenny.' The initial idea for the podcast was Dave's idea. He had been listening to podcasts at work and thought it was time that a new conversation was had about the sport. We had been friendly prior to the start of TSL, but we had never spent much time together. (To this day, the only time we ever spent together was at Skate America when Jenny was interviewing fans at the event.) Dave's initial idea was to do an audio podcast. Jenny had the idea to make it a video series. There were two on-camera test sessions prior to the initial interviews (where Dave could not see the guests, as we were unaware that we both needed premium Skype).

4. Joint interviews present a lot of challenges. Many on-air teams have signals with one another. Barbara Walters has said that she would put her hand on Hugh Downes' thigh when she wished to speak. That is not possible for us. We film the show in two different locations and are not able to communicate with one another during the interviews. Though we can read each other well, it is not always possible to ask as many follow up questions. Over time, we have learned to interject more when we feel this is warranted.

5. As a duo, the interviews are prepared in script form prior to the show. It is often random which host is asking which question. After the final set of questions is agreed upon, names indicating which host will ask which question are assigned. Though the questions may be slightly reworded when they are delivered, there are not 'Dave' questions and 'Jenny' questions during an interview; the assignment of questions is random and based on giving each host the same number of questions.

6. It has never been our aim to gush over guests. After the questions have been set, we approach every interview with the intent of reacting in an open and honest way in order to present a better interview and discussion. Many of the most successful interviewers have long provided their own opinions. Given that we provide our opinions during our recap and 'This and That' shows, we feel it would be disingenuous to merely read questions without any degree of personality or perspective. It is simply our approach. If it appears as if we are gushing over a guest, it is simply because we genuinely admire our interviewees and the success they have achieved both on and off the ice.

7. While we would love to announce a schedule for future guests, it is simply not possible. Scheduling is difficult and it is not uncommon for a guest to have to reschedule. We recently had a guest reschedule three times. It is our aim to provide interesting content every week. At this time, we have not had any formal discussions with Sarah Hughes about being a guest on the show. Our upcoming guests are always subject to change at any moment.

8. Dave enjoys his necklace. He also enjoys seeing what Jenny will wear every week.

We thank you for your comments and support and hope that you will continue to enjoy TSL.

Kasey, os168, flutzilla1 and 11 others like this.
  13. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

TSL, Thanks so much for posting and for the clarifications.

I absolutely love your podcasts. I find it so refreshing not to have a totally sanitized view of the sport. Thanks for all that you do! Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I like watching them, they seem to get the fun side of the skaters than many interviews don't capture.

15. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Don't worry. You'll have plenty of opportunity in the coming year to lament over the Yuna-worship. Did you hear she's come back and intends to defend her Olympic title? Just imagine the Yuna coverage during and after the Sochi games! If you think she's overrated now, just wait until the Olympics... If she wins, some might even dare to say she's the best ever. Just imagine all the talk and all the gushing, how deplorable it will be! ;)

16. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

And there will be me, complaining and gagging about her free leg in the layback and her ugly spiral foot ;)

17. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

or the never ending bitterness just like this... ;) it must be painful when she won that second world title eh? :rofl: besides some will continue to b!tch about yuna's extension because that's the only way they can discredit her skating..;)

18. AndyWarhol

im not bitter... i just don't like ugly positions. she jumps better than Mao, it is true.

19. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

if ISU give more points to that.. i'm sure yuna will fix it.. honestly she doesn't have the extension like mao or alissa.. but she could have give more effort.. but heck it doesn't even matter to her.. it didn't cost her anything.. :lol:

20. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

I'd say it has more to do with her back than laziness. Stretch/extension is due in large part to a supple back, and Yuna's chronic back injury since her junior days doesn't make it easy.

21. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I love this duo.
    As Spun Silver said, Jenny&AJ's podcast is a great gift to skating.

22. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Dave and Jenny Kirk are doing a great job with their podcast. They are honest, nothing fake about them. They tell it like it is and some people don't like that, but I like it.

23. AndyWarhol

Turning out the free foot has little to do with the back. She does have excellent back flexibility, which is shown in her lay back and ina bauer, its jut the free leg (and the arms) that ruin it. The fact thact she CAN do such a beautiful ina means she could turn the free leg out if she wanted to. But why bother? If only we had Dick to call her out on it, everyone just gushes over every little move she does, whether or not is aesthetically pleasing or otherwise.

24. Maureen

Maureen Member

Thanks for your response. I love your interviews and look forward to This and That each week. Keep them coming!

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

TSL, thanks for posting here and sharing some of the details that go into the podcast.
    There is room for a variety of opinions about skating; as well as many approaches to interviewing.
    I'm happy that you are part of that mix.

Keep them coming, please.

26. shine

shine Well-Known Member

So you needed to say this because? You know, if it was say, Michelle Kwan instead of Yuna Kim being injected into all these interviews I would still be annoyed. Why are you so passive-aggresively defensive?

27. os168

os168 Active Member

Hey TSL... congrats on doing a fantastic job promoting skating. Really enjoyed ALL the series so far and see much improving efforts and thoughts to keep it relaxed, informal and personable - and informative. Not easy to do.

Hey do you take requests? If so... I really want to put forward 4 letters!

Kwan!!!!!

(only because i know you'd really REALLY want to. Easily the 5 parter 2 hours epic!!! Complete with much bowing, pleading and watching a tuxedo Dave try not to faint or get overwhelmed. Yeah i'd tune in for sure. Where do i click the youtube sponsor ads!)

The other 4 letters:

Yuna
    !

(Maybe after the Olympics? gives you some time to polish your Korean?)

People are too easily annoyed on this board, bitterness and complaints about everything. Sometimes I wonder if they are really watching skating. Think happy thoughts... sunshine and rainbows, purple. Have some warm milk and cookies. Hug a puppy.

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I appreciate your posting these explanations, but I have to say I`m a little annoyed by this statement. There`s enough room in the skating world for different kinds of podcasts and for interviews conducted in different ways. Each has something to contribute, and each should be recognized for what they bring to the party (so to speak). I think there are ways to explain why you decided to start your own podcast without sounding like you`re dissing the ones that already existed.

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if SH cared about what people say or think about her, she wouldnt show up at ice shows without any jumps

30. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

How is saying that he "thought it was time that a new conversation was had about the sport" in any way dissing other podcasts? It's merely saying there's room for another point of view / approach.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.