Adam Rippon on The Skating Lesson

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by axel12345, Jul 3, 2013.

1. axel12345

axel12345 New Member

Every time I watch the Skating Lesson with Jenny and Dave I am more surprised on how informational it is and what a quality interview they do.
    The most recent interview was with Adam Rippon and I loved it.
    It is a long one, over an hour and change but it was a delight to watch especially hearing all the nice things about Detroit ;)

Here it is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiAflwj7BAQ

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. whoa

whoa Member

This was such a great interview. He has such a stronger personality than I'd thought! It was invigorating to hear his determination to succeed this season. I hope he can accomplish his goals; if not this season, then the next.

3. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Loved the interview. Jenny and Dave do a terrific job..and, of course, I love Adam.

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

He is absolutely delightful and quite well-spoken. Best of luck to him this season.

5. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I think i might love Adam a little bit after that interview!

"you know what, this is gross, but it works" about Evgeni Pluschenko standing at centre ice and skaking his hips :rofl:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

For the most part, a really good interview piece. I love that Adam answered everything. Jenny and Dave are doing a good job putting these interviews together. I'm impressed at how eloquent these skaters are in theset interviews.

A few gripes about TSL (hopefully they're constructive :) ):

1. Dave, and sometimes Jenny, needs to refrain from making catty criticisms directed at another skater in these interviews. The shot Dave took at Sarah Hughes was unnecessary and put him AND TSL in a bad light; Do that in your own time with your friends but not during these interviews when he's representing TSL. TSL looks like it's a forum that is becoming popular and is watched by not just skating fans but also by people in the skating circles, ie skaters, coaches ...Do they reallly want to possibly alienate some people in the industry and hurt their chances for nabbing future interviews? I for one would love them to interview SH but after this I'm not sure she would if they ask.

2. Does TSL seem 'obsess" with Yuna Kim? I though TSL wasted a large a chunk of NNN's interview asking about Yuna Kim, and I felt they almost did the same during Adam's interview. Enough already.

On a superificial note: I find Dave's necklace very distracting. I kept staring at it during the NNN's interview, and I did the same during Adam's. LOL.

7. lala

lala Well-Known Member

exactly: "Evgeni is the only one who can shake his hips in the middle of the ice and you say "This is gross but it works"" he loves Plushy's skating

and:

"When I started training the 3axel when I was 17 everybody was "Plushenko was landing them at 15" Oh great start, I'm already 2 years late"

But he was wrong, Plushy landed 3A at 13, he was landed 4t-3t at 15

8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I don't get the whole thinking that hip movements can't be a part of a program and/ or is gross? Every program needs to be the same Lori nichol stuff?

9. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

You don't understand what is gross about a man standing at centre ice and doing the pelvic thrust? This goes for Plush, Joubert and anyone else i'm thankfully blanking on that does/has done this in the past.

And since when does not air humping = only Lori Nichol choreography? Most choreographers (dear I say nearly all?)tend to steer clear of dry humping as a choreographic move, thank god.

10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It's depend on who does it, how it's done, and in what context is it being done. I thought Viktor Petrenko was always very embarrassing when he did it in his exhibition programs. On the other hand, if one skates to Tom Jones' "What's New Pussycat" then some pelvic thrusts are definitely called for.

11. caseyedwards

No I don't! If it fits a program and works than so what? What's the problem? Calling it air humping is just wrong and meant to just bash Without going into real detail and being prejudicial. It is hip movement and can work really well!

There's also lots of good stuff in this interview like talk about doing the rippon lutz! why didn't he get unique bonus? How does one ever get that if he can't?

12. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

That's an interesting question. Has anyone ever gotten a bonus for originality?

13. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Good question. As far as I remember, one is lucky not to get penalized for originality, let alone reward, because the rules have not been written to explicitly reward an innovation the first time around (otherwise it's not an innovation), and judges often don't seem to know what to do with something they have never seen before. At the very least, an odd judge here and there giving originality a bonus will not make up for the "unfamiliarity deductions" or plain indifference from most others.

I wonder if this is similar to the phenomenon that originality in arts takes time to be tolerated and morph from "grotesque" to "beautiful" in people's mind. Rite of Spring caused a riot at its debut but is now a beloved piece of music. Same for Picasso, modern dance, and nearly all movements in modern art. Most originals must suffer indifference, bewilderment, and hostility from others, before time can sort out the good ones from the bad and ease people's fear and discomfort with the new and unknown.

OTOH, the Rippon Lutz has been around for quite a while. The rules are rewritten fast enough when people complain about quads not getting enough reward, but tend to draft their feet about rewarding something clearly more difficult than a flat choctaw before jump entry or a loop after landing.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  14. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

In ISU competition, I don't think anyone has received a bonus for original element, and I don't think it even exists anymore. I couldn't find reference to it here in a very quick search:
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-206192-223415-177357-0-file,00.pdf
    http://www.usfsa.org/content/2013-14 Rulebook Final 07-01-13.pdf

Can anyone confirm if/when it was taken out and if there was any notification of that fact?

Some countries have in the past had bonuses for completing certain difficult jumps. Russia did and Canada did at one point at the Novice level at least I think.

15. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I myself enjoy the "catty comments" on TSL, even if I don't agree many of them. It's a podcast, not official press releases of USFSA or broadcast TV commentary.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  16. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

It's not like they are asking every single person they interview about her. Rippon trained with Kim for a while and was Kim's only peer/training partner in Toronto that was at an elite level. It's relevant with NNN because she was around Kim the one year she trained at EWIP. And it's also interesting because NNN was basically Kim's predecessor in a way with all the endorsements and ice shows in Korea. Of course NNN was nowhere near Kim's status now, but I wonder if she would have been a mega-superstar like her in Korea if she became a World/Olympic champion.

17. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I wonder though if they are going for a specific dynamic though. Jenny comes off as very professional and serious about the show, while Dave may work very very hard but he comes off as first and foremost an excited, wide-eyed Kwan fan who still can't believe he is interviewing some of these skaters. Sometimes shows play up certain aspects of one's personality for entertainment purposes and I wonder if that's what they're going for. He's playing the part of obsessed Kwan fan who makes catty comments, while Jenny is the serious partner. Just a theory.

18. Maureen

Maureen Member

Great interview with Adam. I really love his skating. Hoping that he has a great Olympic season.

19. Sasha is DIVINE

Sasha is DIVINE New Member

I completely agree. Dave's snark is legendary and that's one of the things I love most about him.

I am over them asking everyone about Yu Na Kim. That is my bias though because I think she's overrated.

And poor Adam. He is a long shot at best to make the Olympic team.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's the clip of the debut of the Rippon 3Lutz at TEB in October 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spyhUMUEcaU
    You'd never know it was the first time from his detailed protocol :p: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra09/gpfra09_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

From Rippon's official site: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/news.html
    "Adam wrote an article for the Athlete Advisory Committee's 'Athlete Corner' about his 2013 Gardena Spring Trophy experience with Team USA that was published in the May issue of SKATING magazine (p. 43). A scan of the article can be viewed here courtesy of U.S. Figure Skating." Link: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/13Gardena.pdf
    IMO, it's a very well-written, thoughtful piece.

21. whoa

whoa Member

As do I. There are more than enough outlets for PR-friendly daisies and flowers nice nice nice interviews that skaters can do. I think their strengths are the conversational and at times snarky tones of their interviews. Their interviews have given me a better understanding of all that goes on behind the scenes and skaters' mentalities; the Max Aaron interview is also a good example.

I don't really mind all the questions regarding Yu Na; if I were them, it could also be a good way to gain viewership for those who pay attention to only the "headliner" skaters.

22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I agree. I've just started skipping over those parts of the interviews.

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Oh I don't mind the snarks but when they specifically single out a skater, like Dave did with Sarah Hughes, I found it quite jarring. I guess TSL has no intention of ever asking any of the Hughes sisters for an interview? That would be a shame, because Sarah's LP at SLC was one for the history book. Overall, I do enjoy watching the TSL interviews. I just don't think they need to directly put down certain skaters in their pod cast. It cheapens the show, IMO.

But if you were the subject being interviewed and you get a bunch of questions about "What was Yuna Like?", "How did Yuna prepare for competition?", "What is Yuna like off ice?", etc., wouldn't you at least say to yourself, "Hey, wait a minute. I thought this interview is about me and my career?"

24. caseyedwards

But yuna is like an extreme legend of figure skating history now? Every skater who trained with her knows they have been near that legend. It just demands questions. Like actors working with Brando or boxers who fought Ali. Singers who sang with Sinatra. Etc.

25. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Jeez, I am laughing out loud here at Adam's endless sighs that he is such a geezer now. "All the youths ..." :D

26. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

What? Worst Olympic gold medal performance! haha. I joke, but really, that skate is not going to be recounted in history books in the future.

Im sure these skaters are just happy that someone in interviewing them.

27. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

The more snarks, the better IMO. Since the beginning, Dave and Jenny have expressed their distaste for skating interviews and fluff pieces to be too PC. I think they do a great job at balancing some good gossipy snark with great questions about technique and competitive mindset.

It's my understanding that Sarah has already requested an interview and is being considered. I doubt she takes herself so seriously that a snarky comment about her arms would deter her from talking to Jenny and Dave.

28. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Oh my, it took an hour just to navigate through all his coaching changes. Adam struck me as well-spoken, but someone who has a higher opinion of his level than has often been warranted by his results. At this point, I think all of his coaching changes speak volumes. He's not at the beginning of his career anymore and he still lacks a consistent triple axel, has no triple axel-triple toe and no quad. His Olympic chances are pretty nonexistant when you look at the field and he's not a kiddo anymore with an extra 4 years to spare. Still the best hair in skating though!

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^ My favorite line from Miley Cyrus's new song: "...Forget the haters cause somebody loves ya" :p

Badams and (deleted member) like this.
  30. caseyedwards

I'm sure Hughes knows how bad she can be attacked on internet videos too! Like the infamous taping of hams to thighs.