Adam Rippon Makes Coaching Change - NOT an April Fool's thread

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Apr 1, 2011.

1. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

No I wasn't suggesting that Brian can't teach 3 axel. Adam should have gone to a proven tech coach to practice 3axel so he would know it's "him" who just can't do it. By going to Brian, I think Adam would always have some douts because he hasn't really coached anyone with that jump. I know Brian has one of the best 3 axel but like you said being able to do the jump and being able to teach the jump is totally different. I think jumpers like Adam would make a better coach because he struggled so much on jumps that he had to work so much more harder. Someone like Midori, the jumps came so natural to her, I don't think she had to work much hard.. she probably wouldn't be a good jump coach because she was so gifted physically that she probably wouldn't understand struggles that Adam's been going through on 3axel. I am guessing Midori would tell him to just jump higher!:)
    Yeah I agree that Brian is still learning. He will be a better coach for sure.

2. bek

bek Guest

I don't know if we can assume that a great jumper can't teach jumps correctly. Some skaters are great jumpers precisely because they have great technique, and that great technique is something they worked extremely hard on to develop. But I think there is absolutely something to be said for someone having a proven track record of teaching those jumps.

But sometimes if something came easy for someone as a skater it can be hard to have patience for those who don't get it right away.

3. Sinclare

Sinclare New Member

I agree :cool:
    I said unfortunate only because it puts expectation on a person. It's hard to improve after your student wins OG.
    I think the same happened to Rippon this season he exceeded expectation early. He had a great skate at Japan Open it may have been a cheese event but he skated great and finished ahead of the current WC and Evgeni. Then went on to skate well at Skate Canada where I saw his 3A with my own eyes, (BTW). His season was better than last year of 3rd and 6th this year 3rd and 4th and was an alternate at the GPF. But he failed to meet continued expectation.
    I do think Yuna was Brian's first regular student. He may have given seminars but that is a far cry from being a head coach. Who has Orser ever taught a 3A to before?
    Orser had a long impressive personal career no one can ever argue that! But as a coach you are right it takes time to develop the mental strategies for each student cause everyone is different.

4. bek

bek Guest

Just because one great technical coach can't teach you the 3axel, doesn't mean another technical coach won't be able to do so. It really is one of those things that sometimes someone can say something or do something that just cliques with a person.

5. Sinclare

Sinclare New Member

I agree with you nearly on all points. I think everyone's communication style is different. I don't know if you are implying that Orser is a great technical coach, (I don't think you are) one day he may be but he needs to prove that at some point in the future.
    I think that is what Rippon is doing by going to a more technically experienced coach. I don't think it is an execution issue, like I said I saw him land them effortlessly in practice. I think it was more of an issue of landing them in pressure situations and that is why a more technically experienced person may know more about this. (than me, you and Orser)
    :hat1:My hunch is that if he was permitted to work whenever he wanted to with this Briand this season he would not have made any announcement about a coaching change.
    Here is his 4CC FS video from last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pHhqa7b1yA
    He was in 7th place more than 12 points out of first then went on to win the competition by almost 10 points.
    Here is the FS video from 4CC from this year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBW_fyrSyUM He was in a stronger position, 5th after the short with less ground to make up. But he ended up more than 12 points from the podium. PJ said in the first video that Briand was with him at the boards and in the kiss and cry in 2010. I think that is the guy Adam wants to work full time with.

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Whether Kim's leaving Brian and going to Peter was a good move has yet to be put to the test, but will be in a couple of weeks, although ,even then, conclusions will only be speculations. I would like to see Mirai go to Brian, as much as I have admired Frank. And if not her, maybe Ashley.

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Mirai and Brian would be a horrible match, I think. Mirai's attitude, silliness, and inconsistencies in her trainings would probably drive him crazy. Ashley I could see working with him, though.

8. amaro

amaro Active Member

Orser's reaction and body language toward Adam at K&C is icy cold and disconnected as if he is saying "I deserve a better skater." I mean Adam even turned his head to him but Orser ignores Adam flat. I think Adam made a good decision of dropping him. Brian should learn from this experience and be nice to Christina through thick and thin because she is his last chance to prove that he is a capable technical coach. First task he should accomplish is to fix her Flutz.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I think they're called Yunabombers, actually. ;):slinkaway

10. bek

bek Guest

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen or read. Orser coached the reigning Olympic champion to World and Olympic titles. He's more than a capable coach. So what if it isn't working with Adam, or stopped working with Yu-na. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Now is Brian the bestest coach ever? I'm not so sure about that. Just as I'm not sure that Yuka and Jason are the bestest of coaches ever either. I don't think the success of one student proves that. It takes time and practice to be great at anything.

Its a ridiculous amount of pressure to put on Christina to say she proves whether or not Brian's a great coach. Talent matters too. You could be the best coach in the world but if the other coach has the better or more driven skater, well...The only thing Brian or Christina can control is Christina's skating. They can't control how good someone like Adelina is going to be.

11. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS Member

:rofl: Nicely said

12. ros01

ros01 New Member

Orser could be the worst coach in the world and he would still have been an Olympic gold medalist's coach, not to mention a double silver medalist himself, and well loved in the skating community. If he ends up not having a big coaching career, I'm sure he'll be fine, as he wasn't looking for one when Yuna and her mother showed up. Anyway, Adam's statement was very gracious, and I hope things work out for him. I don't want him to be one of those skaters who gets constant if-onlys and might-have-beens.

13. amaro

amaro Active Member

Really? FOA, I am not sure what you mean by "Bestest". Best among the best coaches perhaps? No one is putting any pressure on Christina. She was one pumped up lady ready to work her butt off last time I read her interviews and I hope she doesn't go through a coach change since transition takes a lot of costly effort. It is Brian who probably feels pressure because he couldn't have missed critics of his coaching ability doubting how much contribution he actually made toward Yuna's win at the Olympics given that Yuna was already a star with all her technicality (Brian repeatedly acknowledged that she was already technically complete before he became her coach) when she picked him as his coach. Now Adam does not have a consistent 3A after having been coached by Brian for two years, he dropped Brian and now seeks a full technical assistance from his former assistant coach. That surely doesn't send a rosy signal to those outside the club about how Adam perceives of Brian's coaching ability. Now Christina has been under Brian's tutelage for a while, but still no sign of significant improvement on her 3 Lutz and jump consistency. If he wants to be taken seriously as a technical coach to his critics, he should be able to demonstrate his ability to guide a skater to making a significant technical improvement on his/her weak skills, and I haven't seen him accomplishing that so far.

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

You talk like you know a lot about how relationships between skaters and coaches work. What you actually say shows that you really don't know much about it at all. There are many coaches who get along just fine with their former students and with their former student's new coach. Until you have some reliable information (and not just speculation that you are pulling out of your *ss) about Orser and Rippon's feelings toward each other, maybe you should just leave this topic alone.

15. amaro

amaro Active Member

And this is a novella you pulled out of your a*s. Where did you get the information that backs your speculation? I am just following the herd. Look, if a bit of speculating from others gets to you so much, perhaps you should stop reading the posts and leave the thread.

16. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

"Following the herd" that blindly believes everything Camp Yu-Na said about Orser and inferring from that (alleged) scenario that Orser is mean to all his skaters and a terrible coach, hence Rippon leaving him as well :rolleyes:

In case you haven't noticed, Rippon is not Yu-na, and the fact that Yu-na left Orser means that....Yu-na left Orser. Nothing more, nothing less. The *factual* information that I'm basing my suggestions on is that many coaches and skaters break up with no bad feelings, and there certainly wasn't any exodus of skaters from the Cricket Club once Yu-na took her single tear down to LA. Both these facts seem to have escaped you, but then they wouldn't help you paint Orser as the villain you think he is.

17. os168

os168 Active Member

Well given both parties belong to IMG, it is hardly surprising the PR side would work out much more smoothly this time round. (Although lack of kind words or best wishes from Brian's side would seem to indicate something else.)

Adam is a young gifted skater with wonderful potentials, and I am glad he is courageous enough to take new directions to try to fix whatever that is not working.

Best luck Adam, I hope to see you next year represent the US along with Jeremy. (& please grow back your gorgeous magic golden curls, love them to bits!)

18. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I agree. And Adam's hair at 4CC was the real tragedy of this season, imo.

19. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I have a feeling that Rippon might be headed to another club and coach soon, regardless of how the split went. It would be better for him to have a change of scene.

Speaking of Gao, given her growth spurt, I think she actually had a decent season, though it was not up to the expectations of many. She could have done better at JWC, had she had a better warm-up before the final skate. She took a couple of really hard falls during the warm-up, and looked like it knocked the wind out of her and she was the first to skate in the final group. She seems to be in rapport with Orser, has big jumps, and when she get her axels stabilized she would be a contender for US title and Worlds podium for many seasons to come. But that’s if she overcome further growth spurt. Judging from her upper and lower body proportion, she seems still growing.

No matter what you want to call them, they are the fans. Be prepared to see more and more after each season, as you would expect the same with your favorite skaters. Isn’t it great? ;)

20. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I agree with this and hope she stays with Orser at least through next season when she finally makes her senior debut. Also, it's possible that Christina might just be very long legged naturally. Yuna's lower body is much longer than her upper body, and she stopped growing a while ago.

21. amaro

amaro Active Member

I saw this a while ago and now a post at GSF brought my attention back to this: Adam said in an interview w/ Universal Sports that he called Ghislain Briand after his LP at 4CC 2011 and Ghislain talked to Adam about his skate and gave him words of encouragement. Taking it together with the interaction between Brian and Adam seen at the K&C zone, Adam's decision of leaving Brian for Ghislain makes sense to me now.

http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=bf8f9f39-c03d-411a-a619-6c0a44314d8f.html

22. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I loved Adam's curly hair.

23. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

Wasn't it you who talked like you know a lot about what happened to YuNa and Brian?

I remember how you tried to paint YuNa as the bad girl you think she is.

24. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought this title was owned by Robin :lol:

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Leeedward

Leeedward New Member

Hmmm! I thought the reigning Olympic men's gold medalist was Frank's skater! In fact Lysacek represents Frank's FIRST--and only--Olympic gold medalist.....Hardly a career gone kaput!!!

26. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

They were being sarcastic.

27. amaro

amaro Active Member

No, last time I checked "follow the herd" it has different meanings depending on a given context and what I meant was I follow what others do here, which is to speculate based on available information. You might want to check your dictionary or read more books before you throw a cheap shot. :rolleyes:

I don't know where to start but let me try. You said "*factual* information that I'm basing my suggestions on is that many coaches and skaters break up with no bad feelings." How in the world do you know for *fact* that the general *impression* you have, which you call *fact* but it isn't, about coach-skater breakups applies to the breakup between Orser and Adam? How do you know many breakups between coaches and top skaters are done with no bad feelings? Did you take surveys, or are you basing it naively on what they say in public? The way I see it is that you will very rarely find out what truly caused breakups unless you are in it. Can you even see what you said is based on your gut feeling and not on a fact? And yes, I can distinguish Kim from Rippon.

You are speculating as much as I am and in a way many who posted here are doing the same. Like I said, you might not want to read posts here if a bit of speculating from others bother you so much. And if I remember correctly, and also as lakewood pointed out, you were a master of speculation when Orser and Kim parted ways.

28. itsartemis

itsartemis There will only be one Daisuke!

Following the herd is hardly something positive.

In Norwegian the expression is "a herd of sheep" meaning people who do not think for themselves at all and are known as highly unintelligent. ;)

29. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Same meaning in English. I've never heard "following the heard" used as a positive. :shuffle:

30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Or for it to be self-acknowledged. :lol: