Adam Rippon Makes Coaching Change - NOT an April Fool's thread

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Apr 1, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Unless you are Brian Orser yourself, you have no idea how Brian might or might not feel about the situation.

Maybe Brian and Adam parted on good terms, with a clear understanding of why Adam was moving on, and both are being mature and professional about the change. And Brian would feel OK watching Adam having productive sessions with another coach at the same rink.

2. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I would have been surprised if they had contacted Orser. There is no reason for them to do so. Rippon announced the change and his reasons for making the switch which is all that such press releases usually include.

3. amaro

amaro Active Member

No I think it would be still uncomfortable no matter what the reason for Adam's dropping Orser was. There would be very few cases in which having to watch his former student consulting a junior coach full time for jumping techniques is not awkward.

What I am really curious about is whether Adam would still keep working with David Wilson next season. If that is the case, that would be another major blow to Brian.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

IMO, it's a legitimate question because USFS press releases about coaching changes usually do include quotes from all parties involved.

I don't see a connection? Orser and Wilson are separate people. Whether or not Rippon uses Wilson or different choreographers next season, the decision will be his own and made, it is hoped, for positive reasons.

5. amaro

amaro Active Member

It's a bit weird he hasn't said anything in public yet about the breakup, considering how eager he sometimes seems to give interviews. Perhaps Brian is a bit too proud to admit in his own words that Adam left.

If this was the first time that it happened to Orser, yes I would see little connection. But twice in a row? That gives an idea of to whom the departing skaters attribute his/her recent improvement.

6. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I think it´s good for a skater to make a switch, if he believes there will be improvement in his results with some other coach. On the other hand so much depends on the skater´s mental strength and future will show whether Rippon is champion material or not...

7. Shaia

Shaia Active Member

athletes change coaches ALL the time. and it's silly to use the term "breakup" in most situations. Rather, it's a routine course of the sport. Brian need not say anything about this.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

Sylvia 1 | Dragonlady 0

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Most high-profile U.S. figure skaters' coaches belong to the USFSA and so can be expected to be available for comment when the skater makes a change. I would assume that Orser doesn't belong to the USFSA. Does he?

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

PUNKPRINCESS, I don't appreciate you making this look like a personal issue or contest between me and another poster. For me, it's not.

venja and (deleted member) like this.
  11. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

Logic 1 | Talking out of the ass 0

12. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I went back through all of the coaching change press releases over the past couple of seasons because I couldn't ever remember comments from coaches in the press releases and the only one which contained a comment from the coach was Alexe Gilles recent move. I looked at the press releases for Samuelson & Bates, Jeremy Abbott, Alissa Cizny, Kimmie Meisner, and none of them contained comments from the coaches.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44554&type=news
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=40436&type=news
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=39369&type=news
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44593&type=news

Certainly in articles on IceNetwork.com they would get quotes from all of the parties, but not in the press releases.

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I feel like Adam hiring Ghislain as his head coach is probably just a temporary fix so he has time to go coach shopping and make a well-thought out decision without having to pack up his bags and leave right away. I sort of doubt this is a permanent arrangement, but a coaching change is not a decision you make on a whim, and Adam knows that. My guess is he knew it wasn't working with Brian anymore so he broke that off but he doesn't yet know who he would work with better so he's hired Ghislain as his full time coach for now until he figures out who he does want to train under.

14. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Actually, the "release" about Jeremy that you linked was a general news update about all retirements, coaching changes, splits et al that summer. Here is the full Abbott coaching change release: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43074&type=news

And there is a quote from Tom Z.

Also, the release on M/B's coaching change has a quote from Dalilah S.

I have no insider info on the USFSA's PR process, but as someone works in marketing and PR, I will say that it is standard for all parties involved in a release to be contacted for comment. Sometimes someone may decline comment, or they may simply not return the call (vacation, busy schedule, extenuating circumstances, etc) and there gets to be a time when the release just has to go forward. I wouldn't assume there is :drama: any time someone isn't quoted in a release.

15. bek

bek Guest

I'm actually feeling bad for Brian now. First he's skewered for being too public about his break up with Yu-na. Now its for saying nothing at all about Adam. I think saying nothing is better than airing dirty laundry in public. Its really none of our business in either case. This being said of course its fun to speculate.

16. Sinclare

Sinclare New Member

I have seen Adam land beautiful 3A(s) in the event practices as well as in live competition at Skate Canada this year. I don't think that the 3A is a jump Adam needs to learn, just perform better in "crunch" times or at least needs to look more confident with the jump. It is not like he is falling on the jump at every competition he just looks like he thinks he is going to.??? (IMHO) Maybe that was the issue, Brian was not the right person in the "crunch" times? Who knows? I don't think this was a hasty decision watching the K&C all season, I think it was in the making for some time. But I think just because someone can or has performed a skill doesn't necessarily mean they can teach it. And just because they can't teach it doesn't make them a bad person. Who knows how much time Adam has been with this technical coach this season as opposed to last? Maybe that was the issue.

17. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Or not. :cool:

Skaters pick coaches for all sorts of reasons. As long as Brian's skaters produce results, other skaters will go to him. His time as the "hot coach" that everyone fights to train with may ebb and flow as it does with all the top coaches, but I doubt he'll have problems getting students unless he gets a reputation for skaters that consistently under-perform or for being difficult to work with and that doesn't seem to be happening.

18. Sinclare

Sinclare New Member

I agree skaters pick coaches for a variety of reasons. I don't think anyone would be turned off from going to Orser because of his students performances but I do think he hurt himself as a professional being so angry and self absorbed in the Kiss and Cry. He looked like he took it personally and that kind of personality is difficult to work with. IMHO

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  19. bek

bek Guest

This may be the case but Adam's 3 axel isn't competition consistent. I remember Yagudin saying that you have a jump consistent when you can do it consistently in competition. Adam's other jumps are fairly consistent in competition, so I think the guy DOES have 3 axel issues. Its silly IMO to suggest he doesn't. Maybe its a mental block I don't know but the jump isn't consistent.

I think that Brian kind of got launched into the big time with Yu-na, and maybe in someways she spoiled him. Kim was a girl who for the most part knew how to compete and knew how to deliver fairly well in the big moments. She was also quite driven with a huge work ethic. Sure Mama Kim may have been a pill and a half to deal with, and maybe Yu-na is drama too (don't know the girl personally). But she was a skater you win with, which is why Kim herself wasn't fired. :lol:

Now he's dealing with skaters who may not necessarily have the same competitive fire/talent.

I think Orser is still a new coach and there is time for him to figure it out though.

20. Copper

Copper New Member

Does anyone know how much Briand had been involved in Adam's training in the past? If Adam has been training with him all along, what kind of technical changes can he expect? Wouldn't it be better for him to go to someone new, like Arutunian, for example?

21. Sinclare

Sinclare New Member

I think it is a big leap to assume what Yuna's mother's influence was (helpful or interfering)
    I'm sure she gets a good laugh at all the times she was pegged as crazy when she dusts off her daughter's OGM or sees her daughter's face on her country's currency. :rofl:
    But I think it is a bigger leap to tag Rippon as not having competitive fire. I disagree with that.
    You are right Orser is a new coach and unfortunately for him his first student won OG so no matter how great his students did this season it was a downward projection. From the look on his face in the K&C I think Orser was the one with the most "head" issues this season.

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I realize for some people the world begins and ends with YuNa, but she most definitely was not Orser's first student.

23. bek

bek Guest

I never said Rippon didn't have competitive fire, but he might not have the same competitive fire/talent as Kim had. Kim had her bad skates sure, but she's never finished of the podium at international competition. There are good skaters and competitors, and great ones.
    She was the first major one.

24. miki88

miki88 New Member

The only people who's making this into a big deal are the same ones who dragged they story of his previous breakup on for months. As a coach, he will have all kinds of students. Each one presents a different situation. Even the best coaches like Frank Caroll lost his star pupils from time to time.

25. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

wow, so many Yunabots in here. :scream:

26. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yeah I feel bad for Brian also. I never thought Brian would be a good coach for Adam though. I know Brian is an excellent skater with great tech skills but that doesn't make him a great coach instantly. Adam should have gone to a proven tech coach to work on his 3 axel.

27. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0bIVfuh3-I
    the person alongside with Adam at kiss and cry zone would be Briand, I guess. as for the expected changes , I can only assume that with Wilson helping him polish his artistry, consistent triple axel with other improvement on jumping areas-like quads, maybe? but I think this coaching change is a temporary fix before finding someone else that fits the job like others said.

and I guess the war would never end, huh?

28. bek

bek Guest

I actually think its ridiculous go suggest that Brian not being able to help Adam with his 3axel means Brian can't teach the 3axel. I know Lambiel worked some with Mishin on the 3axel, (although not on a regular basis) and Lambiel never had a consistent 3axel. I don't think anyone doubts that Mishin is a brilliant jump coach. Of course maybe if Lambiel had been with Mishin on a more consistent basis the 3axel would be there. Talent/other factors imply.

That being said absolutely I would think a coach with a background of teaching the 3axel is a better bet then someone who had it as a skater. Because teaching doesn't mean doing.

I will hardly say its unfortunate that Brian has an OGM student. Most will never get that opportunity and he did do a great job with Yu-na. This being said I think being a coach is a learning process too, and Brian is still learning. I think ten years from now he'll be a much better coach.

29. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I thought Lambiel's 3 axel issue is was more due to his hip injuries:confused: Was it just his constant problem throughout his career?

30. bek

bek Guest

It was always an inconsistent jump for him.