Adam Rippon Makes Coaching Change - NOT an April Fool's thread

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Apr 1, 2011.

1. amaro

amaro New Member

But that doesn't help Brian much now does it. He was renowned for his technicality when he skated competitively, and that track record was perhaps why Adam hired him as head coach two years ago. Now that Adam dropped Brian without a proper explanation other than "it's a right time to move on" or something like that, other top skaters who considered Brian as their future coach may now have second thoughts.
  2. tripleaxle

tripleaxle New Member

It is good Adam left Brian. But to go with Ghislain may not work. If Adam has worked with Ghislain for two years as he said and his triple axle still has not improved, he needs to look elsewhere.
    I am wondering whether this is an interim solution. Adam needs a strong technical coach right now. The one that comes to my mind is Priscilla Hill. Look at Armin. For the short time he moved to Priscilla, he got a beautiful triple axle. Adam needs a technical coach that has proven success. I am not sure if Ghislain has achieved that. He used to have Maxim Billy F who is a talented jumper competing head to head with Kevin R and Patrick Chan. But now we do not hear from him anymore. I heard there are a number of young talented skaters at Cricket Club who have not progressed much in the last couple of years. Some have left Criket and others started to train in the US part time now. It makes one wonder if there is a strong technical coach at that club.
    As for Christina Gao, she is a very talented jumper. Like Yuna, she already had all her jumps when she moved to Brian. But she has not fixed her two jump problems: flutz and double axle. This year Agnes beat her in almost all competitions. She should have come 2nd or 3rd at Nationals based on her program contents but finished 5th two years in a role now. I am not surprised if she is thinking about moving too.
    Having said all that, a coach and a skater have to match personality wise. Not all coaches will work well with all skaters. All the best for Adam, Brian, Ghislain and Christina.
  3. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Yeah, go ahead and jump. Don't forget to take with you Orserbots and other trolls who can't waste an opportunity to drag Yu-Na into this.
    Shaia and (deleted member) like this.
  4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

finally:rofl::rofl::D

Not just yunabots, also yuna haters! :yikes::rofl:

anyway, I wish good things with Adam;)
    Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: The thread is about Adam getting a new coach. It shouldn't have anything to do with Yuna. Brian is the ex coach and from what we gather their parting was amicable. I've never even heard of an Orserbot. Is that a phrase Yunabots use? Do they have little Orser dolls that they stab with needles? I truly wouldn't know. Now let's get the thread back to Adam shall we?
  6. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

I had great hopes for Adam this season after he won 4CC last year, but he really went backwards this season after a strong start at Skate Canada. I hope he can get back on track because I really like his skating. It's makes you wonder when a skater changes coaches 3 times in 4 years though (to Morosov in 2007, to Orser in 2009, now Briend).
  7. amaro

amaro New Member

It must be really awkward for Adam and Brian to run into each other at the club from now on no matter what the reason for the breakup was. Hopefully this thing ends here... we have seen enough of what Brian is capable of.

Funny, "Maobot" and "Yunabot" are not exactly words found in an English dictionary either.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  8. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I meant this kind of bot. This lady seems to me really biased and speaking on limited information. Fact is, Yu-Na said words of appreciation and wished him well with blessings on multiple occasions.

You cannot blame so-called yunabots for responding to such unfair accusation.
  9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Idk. You make some good points, but as far as I can tell, Christina and Brian get along well, and Brian really seems to care about Christina. Also, with Yuna and Adam gone now and Christina scheduled to make her senior debut internationally next season, there could be perks to her being Brian's "star pupil" and getting a lot of attention and 1-on-1 coaching. And further, Christina has improved tremendously under Brian, whereas Adam seemed to take a step backward this season. Gao maybe didn't have as good of a season as she hoped, but that was probably more due to her growth than anything else. Her flutz is improving and her 2a technique has always been bad, although unfortunately for her, she can't just leave it out of her programs like Yuna leaves out 3lo, Miki 3f, Mirai and Alissa 3s, etc. A lot of skaters have a problem jump and they aren't leaving their coaches. With Adam the issue seems to be mental, and his problem is on a jump crucial to making it internationally - with Christina, it's different, she already has a 3f-3t and while her faulty 2a is a setback, it's not killing her chances to do well.
  10. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

The idea that I'm any sort of Orser uber is ridiculous. I don't think either party behaved particularly well under the circumstances, and have said so more than once. However, I do have knowledge of the accepted way of changing coaches.

I also note how quickly you and the other Yu-Nabots jumped into this thread to trash Orser over Adam changing coaches. What knowledge do you have of the situation?
    reese and (deleted member) like this.
  11. amaro

amaro New Member

Hope you are right and Gao stays with the current coach, because changing coaches takes tolls.
  12. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Thank God no media blitz this time. Good for him and good for Rippon. I feel that Orser would have handled the split with Yu-Na in a different way, had she had a backing from a stronger federation.

This could be a good thing for Gao since she can have more attention, and I really, really wish her to stick with Orser as she is now his only top prospect.
  13. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

i agree that adam's programmes this year were v. boring and uninspired. he's so young. needs to go out and have some fun!! rach two and romeo & juliette - way too serious ...
  14. care bear

care bear Active Member

I loved both programs, they were very beautiful, he is a figure skater who knows how to interpret the classics in my opinion. And "Romeo" is a program definitely for a young skater.
  15. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

LOL.. It was YOU who quickly jumped into this thread with judgment loaded statements biased against Yu-Na.

You are free to see what you want to see. But I believe I have better picture of what really transpired and who were behind it.
  16. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

By the time I posted in this thread, you and the rest of the Yu-Nabots had already been posting that Adam leaving, which has nothing to do with what went down with Yu-Na, was proof positive that it was all Orser's fault and this was proof positive that Orser was a bad coach.

But like the skater you adore, you can't admit when you've behaved badly. Speaking of which, I see your darling Yu-Na is embroiled in yet another lawsuit. Why do so many of her business relationships end up badly or in court?
  17. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Please don't feed the trolls!
  18. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

I was not surprised at this news at all.
    I figured out that Adam could not stay with Oser any longer.

But,,it's nobody's fault.
    Coach changing issue is nothing special in figure skating world, therefore we just need to respect skater's own decision.
    That will do.
  19. lakewood

lakewood New Member

I remember how quicjly you and the other YuNa haters jumped to trash YuNa when the split happened without any detailed knowledge of the situation.

This is her first lawsuit ever. The previous one was between companies and had nothing to do with her. Another evidence that you bashes YuNA without exact knowledge.
  20. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Gosh, you are really of the kind that take a quick glance of the headlines, make a judgment, and never bother to investigate as to what the truth is, aren't you.
  21. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Well, isn't Rippon leaving Orser the topic of thread? And please don't exaggerate. Who said before your post it's Orser's fault and he's a bad coach?
  22. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Oh dear @ this thread.
  23. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

I thought this thread is about Adam? :rofl::dog:
  24. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I was hoping that this was just an April Fools' Day joke, but I guess it's true. :( I wish both Adam and Brian all the best.
  25. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

:lol: @ you and others b1tching about the Yunabots, when in fact (outside of Rumblefish) NO ONE even jumped on this thread and posted that Orser was a bad coach. :rolleyes:

And you asked "what knowledge do you have of the situation"? Hypocrisy much? You and others judged Yuna's character like you know the truth between Yuna-Brian's split. Unbelievable. :lol:
  26. amaro

amaro New Member

Dragonlady is well-known Orser-ultrafanatic (as defensive and intense as Orser himself) not just here but in other skating forums as well and this person will bash and trashtalk anyone to death whoever ditches Orser, including Adam as he/she started above by bashing Adam for having history of changing coaches, the same crappy reasoning he/she put out to bash Yuna when she split with Orser.
  27. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

EXACTLY!

OMG, thank you for being the sole sane voice of reason in this entire thread of utter nonsense! :lol:
    Eys, and had Adam left for Frank or Morosov or someone else completely different this statement would have made sense. But he didn't. He says he's training with the same assistant coach he's been training with the past 2 years, in the same rink. It kinda makes the quote the same bs all skater spew when they don't want the truth revealed, doesn't it? :blah:
  28. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

Ditto. I bet he's a nice man, but when he's unhappy, he seems like he'd be "difficult."

I didn't hear that at all. Au contraire, according to what Adam said, and from various other reports, he's been in contact with Ghislain regularly over the past 2 years. Sounds like Adam has wanted or needed additional external support outside of Orser and Wilson, and that he contacted Ghislain after this year's disappointing Nats (the same one where Orser was visibly pissed off at Adam in the Kiss and Cry.) :scream: I am completely not surprised...
  29. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Anyone is free to believe it's "bs" but only Rippon really knows and can/will determine the effectiveness of working with Ghislain Briand full-time in Toronto. It's his career and he's taking responsibility for it.
  30. amaro

amaro New Member

I see Adam hiring Ghislain as his main coach and seeking technical support from him a sort of major blow to Brian. I mean that does not make Brian look good in the eyes of his future potential clients.
  31. berthesghost

^ITA that it's a major blow from Ghislain to Orser. I suppose this happens in business all the time, an employee poaches big clients when he leaves the co.. but in skating its usually big gossip, like when Morosov and TT split. I'm perplexed on why everyone chooses to completely ignore this tid-bit to instead rehash stale YuNa/Orser crap from months ago.
  32. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I have always had the utmost regard for Brian Orser. Until I know for sure that he is an ogre, I'll keep that opinion. I absolutely LOVE Adam..With the exception of the Japan Open and to a lesser degree SC this yr, he never seemed all that comfortable with his programs..or maybe I wasn't. I loved his programs from the previous year...I thought that they displayed the purity of his skating, much like his exhibition to "Cinema Paradiso" does. While the degree of difficulty in this yrs' program may have been there, I thought that they "took the Adam out of Adam"..

I hope that Adam finds what he is looking for...and, of course, 3 triple axels.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  33. amaro

amaro New Member

It would be painfully awkward to see Brian watch Ghislain go over a 3A session with Adam on the rink. Brian would want Adam to move out of the club because his presence would be a constant reminder to others that Adam moved on from Brian. Perhaps Adam might consider Ghislain as an interim coach before he finds someone outside the club.
  34. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

I'm curious about her, too.
    Why does she (or he) overreact to 'Oser issue' so frequently? :confused:

I'm not sure but she (or he) must be a huge fan of Oser.
    If not............???? :eek:
  35. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I don't get all this business about "why hasn't Adam given us the real reason why he left?" Do most skaters normally issue press release about exactly what they were unhappy with about their coach or do they just issue some generic, grateful press release and then move on? Alex Gilles just switched coaches, did she give us a detailed list of why she moved to detroit? No. Skaters don't do that. So I have no idea why you would think that Adam would be the first skater ever to offer fans an itemized list of why he left a coach. That would be unprofessional to start.
    mag and (deleted member) like this.
  36. berthesghost

I think we are in agreement. It's their business and people in all walks of business issues these type of PR statements. My point was not that he owes us the truth, but to counter argue the point that his statement did tell us the whole story. It really doesn't tell us anything. Weather it should or not is something else entirely. I was merely pointing out that it didn't.
  37. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I am curious as to why Brian Orser is not quoted in the USFS press release? I wonder if he was contacted for a comment?
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  38. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Actually, before Skate Canada he had that amazing performance at that team competition in which he scored over 160 for his free skate (while landing both triple axels, I believe). But rather than improving as the season went along, he seemed to fade off.
  39. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I didn't mind Adam's programs this season, in fact I loved parts of them, but those programs are more Wilson than Orser.

Adam has definitely not had the season we all anticipated so it's not shocking that he's looking elsewhere. It's not unusual for skaters to move on when they aren't getting the results they need. Good luck to him because he's a lovely skater and I hope he finds what he needs.
  40. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Yes, here's his Japan Open FS from early October 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLTw8A79EKQ