Adam Rippon Makes Coaching Change - NOT an April Fool's thread

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Apr 1, 2011.

1. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

:lol: Adam just tweeted that the press release was supposed to go out yesterday, not today.

2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

That sucks for Brian. First Yu-Na, then Adam. Maybe since Christina's the only top one staying, others are leaving because he devotes all his attention to her? just a thought, I don't even know how much attention he pays to anyone

3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

For him it is now or never. He needs a 3A (in competition) and a quad to be an international medal contender. Isn't he already in his 20's? If he can't manage that by next season I think he is done whether he wants to be or not.

4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

That's what I'm thinking..

He spent a week in Col Springs recently..I assumed analyzing 3 axel..Was he coach shopping?

Of course, I'd love to see him with Frank Carroll.

5. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Don't bet on it.

6. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

That makes sense. If he needs a change, staying in Cricket would defeat the purpose.

But please no Tom Z.:yikes:

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Yeah, when Kwan left Frank, his coaching career went kaput and he hasn't had another good skater since.

8. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

My bet is top skaters know exactly why Brian and his students parted (whatever the reasons or the eventual responsabilities were).
    Stepping into the dark won't be the issue.

-- JMO

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Copper

Copper New Member

Brian himself was such a successful skater and his first student happened to be equally (or even more) successful. Brian's competitiveness and high expectations for his skaters is his nature. If a student doesn't progress fast under such an environment, it is simply not a right fit. The skater is responsible for finding his ideal coach. I believe Adam made a right decision for his career. It is also a good time to do so.

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I agree. Brian isn't everyone's cup of tea. He doesn't have the gentlest bedside manner and a lot of skaters need that kind of sensitivity/cheerleading to thrive. Some don't. Adam seems very nervy and emotional (not necessarily a bad thing) and might do better with someone who takes a more nuanced, psychological approach to coaching.

11. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

It will be interesting to see whether Rippon remains as a cast of Canadian SOI and when B starts to blame Rippon's parents for the break up.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

In a recent interview Weir said that Rippon's body had matured a lot this year and that would affect his skating.

13. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

I've though it's another April Fools' though... :fragile:

Hope it helps for a more successful future to Adam and Brian both.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Rippon did some Canadian SOI guest spots last year; he wasn't signed to any part of this year's Canadian tour (those contracts were signed a while ago).

ETA:
    That's good to hear :) - thanks for sharing this practice tidbit!

15. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Exactly:lol:

16. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

You expect that Brian Orser will do that??? You don't think YuNa's parents weren't involved with the decision to leave Brian? I've watched Brian Orser for a long, long time. He's always been classy and yet sensitive. I don't think the YuNa team handled things very well and he got emotional about it because he really cared for her. It was a very sudden inexplicable split, so assuming Brian is the one at fault, without really knowing anything, even about Rippon and why he's leaving, isn't fair.

I think Rippon has not been skating well; and when that happens, skaters often switch coaches. Lots of skaters do that.

17. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Some other skaters should have, like say Emanuel Sandhu. Anyway, back on topic.

18. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Like you said, skaters often switch coaches. Orser was the one who made a big fuss about Kim leaving. If history is any indication, Orser will likely make a fuss about Rippon's departure as well. I don't think my reasoning is out of line at all.

19. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

If that happens, I might fly to CO springs to stop him from getting off the plane.

20. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Notice how Adam made the coaching change and promptly issued a press release thanking Brian for everything that Orser had done for him. He didn't hang around the rink for months on end ignoring Orser and then have his parents do the dirty work, and then still not bother issuing a press release or making a public announcement.

I don't think there will be any awkwardness at all if Adam chooses to stay in Toronto.

21. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Or maybe he learned from that experience and don't make Orser angry. :p

Anyway, I still remember you posted at the break up thread and bragged Adam's accomplishments under Orser and he will be fine after Yuna left him with a strong showing at Japan Open. So, what happened?

22. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Adam parted with Morosov in a similar manner. There's just a right way and a wrong way to do things and this is the right way.

23. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Right wayyyy by talking to the media like it never ends. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I wish Adam well and the same goes to Brian.

24. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I'm confused by everyone's assumptions here.

1. This is hardly Adam's first coaching change, so why is it assumed to all be Orser's fault.

2. I doesn't sound like a change at all. The article makes it sound more like an assistant coach poaching one of the head coach's top students.

3. If it's all about a better 3a, and Briand can give Adam that, why didn't he give it to him two years ago when he first started working with him?

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

BWAHAHA. I don't think it was Orser sending out Tweets about people being liars.

26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

1. Because Orser had a student leave him recently. We can assume it's always his fault based on recent history.[/sarcasm]

2/3. It'll be interesting to see how Rippon develops. He's had such a dramatic downfall since the Japan Open. He went from beating the reigning WC on his home ice (fluff competition, I know) to not even medalling at his own Nationals. Regardless of speculation, something didn't work this season

27. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

You need a time-line. :lol: It was ORSER who talked to the media first and painted Yuna's mom being the culprit from the break up with Yuna responding to defend her. :p It was HIM who made a big fuss about a student leaving. :p

28. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

That is exactly Orser's claim. If you believe it, fine. But, I don't.

Dragonlady and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Thank god we finally have another place to argue about the split between Brian and Yu Na! I had been missing those threads from last summer. :wall: :wall: :wall:

30. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I'll help stage that intervention.