Adam Rippon Injury

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by arakwafan2006, Feb 4, 2013.

1. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I don't think they care. Neither do any of the other skaters - because they know they'd be doing the same!

(I do get your point - just being ornery. :p )

2. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Well, what about wearing a surgical mask to protect others? :)

3. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

If they are at an athletic event, I don't think that wearing a surgical mask is going to help them when athletes need all the oxygen intake they can get!

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Seriously? Now just how untiffed is that? :drama:

5. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

LOL. I think Asian, esp. Japanese skaters often wear surgical masks at airports or while traveling, although I have no idea if it's meant to protect the wearer.

6. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I don't know whether a surgical mask would be practical or not. It just seems like to me they would possibly be choking and coughing in those masks because of exhaustion after skating their programs. They would then have to take the masks off to use Cleanex tissue. ;) :)

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've heard of skaters using masks to train their programs to simulate the effect of high altitude :)

But yeah, at a competition, they'd have to take their masks off when they train, so the other skaters will be exposed anyway. Maybe wearing one around a concourse would put fewer people in danger of catching the flu, but I think most of the sick skaters just go back to the hotel to rest.

8. Fudove

Fudove Member

Bummer not seeing Adam at 4CC but congrats to Ricky for making the most of his opportunity. With all of the injuries I am reading about it looks like who can be healthy at competition time takes the advantage. Injuries you think about sprains etc, but the flu, food poisoning they can be as debilitationg on the day. So wear those masks, wash your hands and stay out of crowds!:cold:

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They don't really work.

And yeah, the oxygen intake thing.