Adam Rippon Injury

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by arakwafan2006, Feb 4, 2013.

1. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

2. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Maybe it's his hand? Such a shame, whatever it is. Hope he makes a quick recovery.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I posted USFS' press release in several different relevant threads earlier today:

Dornbush replaces Rippon at Four Continents - press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48962&type=media
    "Rippon, who placed fifth at the 2013 U.S. Championships, sustained an ankle injury on Saturday. He is expected to make a full recovery."

ETA these tweets by @Adaripp:
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  4. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

The article says that he injured his ankle on Saturday. Get well soon Adam!
  5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Did he have a previous issue with his hand? Why would that be suspected (seems like an odd injury for a skater.)
  6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Perhaps Coco was referring to what looked like a scrape to Adam's hand when he unexpectedly fell on the second of the 3/3 combo jumps in his U.S. Nats sp. But I don't think a minor hand injury generally keeps skaters from skating. In any case, the press release clearly states the injury he sustained.

Sending well wishes to Adam. :saint: I hope he is better soon and that he has a great off-season. It would be nice if Adam gets the opportunity to skate his "Incredibles" fs again sometime soon. He had such fun with it in its new incarnation at Nationals. :)
  7. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I thought he had to get stitches so maybe it had gotten more complicated. Sorry to hear it's his ankle :(
  8. Sylvia

Actually, NBC showed Rippon backstage after his hand was cut on the side of the boards during the 6-minute warm-up before his FS. It looked like 2 different medical people were trying to stop the bleeding and he skated with his hand bandaged up.
  9. Skittl1321

Thanks- I don't recall seeing that, my attention was a bit divided during the broadcast.
  10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Part of me is very happy Dornbush gets a chance to compete and maybe get himself on the SB list for next year's GP, but another part is worried that he might have been better off taking a few weeks off to fully heal his own injured ankle. Hopefully he skates well in both programs.
  11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I sort of got the impression from interviews that Dornbush's ankle injury was not that severe and more of a minor, nagging sort of thing. Still not any fun, but I think he mostly talked about having had the flu as the main reason for his fatigue at Nationals.
  12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Ah yes, thanks Sylvia. I recall now that Adam hurt his hand during the FS warmup, but I didn't see him being treated backstage. I'd forgotten when Adam had the problem since in fact several skaters seemed to have sustained minor hand scrapes at this Nats, including Philip Warren during his free skate. Skating is indeed a dangerous enterprise. ;)
  13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I wish quick recovery for Rippon.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The instinct is to protect yourself from a full impact of a fall so you will reach out with your hands. If it's a hard fall, it's easy to sprain or even break your hand.
  15. Skittl1321

I've never met a skater with a hand injury from this. Plenty of wrist injuries though. (I myself had a very severe wrist sprain that took months to gain back useage, and we have at least a sprained or broken wrist every year at the rink.) Perhaps at the higher levels the force of the fall is more likely to injure the hand than the wrist? I only have experience with one elite skater, who doesn't regularly train at our rink.

ETA: (I've seen many people get cut by catch blade spins, but I wouldn't really call that an injury, not one you'd withdraw from a competition for. That's why I was asking if Adam had previous hand injuries that that would be suspected.)
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^ During competitions when the ice is resurfaced fairly regularly this isn't an issue, but sometimes FS sessions don't have a zamboni come out after every hour and if you fall and skid on the ice it's pretty easy to hit bumps and scrape off skin. That's why most skaters wear gloves if they're working on a move where they expect to fall. If you happen to do pairs or dance, you might as well have boxes of band-aids on stand by since you'll always get some cut or another.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ah yeah you're right that a sprained wrist is more common and it would be quite rare for the hand itself to become injured. But maybe when the palm was open?

A common injury is cutting the hand with your blade I guess but that would only require a few days off ice in most cases probably.

Although I also know of cases where the cuts were so deep, skaters needed surgery and some important nerves or muscles or tendons were damaged and recovery time was really long.
  18. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Back to Adam's ankle. Wishing him a speedy recovery!
  19. apatinar

apatinar New Member

2 medical people trying to stop the blood and not one of them had any gloves on... I was SCREAMING at the television!!
  20. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Good point. I didn't notice the gloves thing. Is anyone not too happy about people (skaters and others) still going to this event knowing that they have the flu!? I wonder how many days after you start to feel a little better you could technically still spread it? Tanith reportedly caught it there.
    Back to Adam, I hope he and all others recovering from injuries take the needed time to recover properly and feel better soon.
  21. jlai

jlai Title-less

Missing 4CC is a bummer but the bigger bummer is missing out the chance to improve his season's best and ranking, and Adam may need USFS's help to get on the gp next year and he may have to do sectionals.
  22. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

Because Adam was 5th at Nationals this year, he has the automatic bye to Nationals next year. The top 5 get the bye.
  23. jlai

jlai Title-less

Oh, I kept thinking he's 6th. Oops
  24. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Alissa, Jeremy and Adam....and all three friends....ouch...get well soon. ref: Tanith, I have read up on the spreading of flu and one gets lots of different versions of when one is contageous and for how long. All I can tell you is that no one in that arena or at the airports or on the planes every wore a surgical mask to protect others....its not the American way. I went to medical at the arena at Omaha to get a mask for a sick friend and they didnt have any! I am shocked the medical people didnt wear gloves when treating cuts...the arena air is very dry and my hands were splitting even before I was clapping very hard....I carry antibiotic vasoline to every event now. Chris who knows three folks who have had MRSA, and one is dead.
  25. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

It all goes to show, when you venture out into the world, s#$t happens.
  26. Sylvia

It's looking that way, yes. Fortunately, his 5th place finish at Nationals will qualify him for Team B envelope funding next season.
  27. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I've always felt a John Curry vibe from Adam. I'm hoping he can deliver on that when it counts.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  28. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Me, too. It's his arms...
  29. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Unless they're missing a body part or have some other sort of serious injury, the skaters will be there. A cold/flu is nothing to them, considering the importance of this particular competition.
  30. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I understand, but what I was meaning was the fact that they go knowing they could spread the flu.
  31. purple skates

I don't think they care. Neither do any of the other skaters - because they know they'd be doing the same!

(I do get your point - just being ornery. :p )
  32. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Well, what about wearing a surgical mask to protect others? :)
  33. apatinar

apatinar New Member

If they are at an athletic event, I don't think that wearing a surgical mask is going to help them when athletes need all the oxygen intake they can get!
  34. purple skates

Seriously? Now just how untiffed is that? :drama:
  35. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

LOL. I think Asian, esp. Japanese skaters often wear surgical masks at airports or while traveling, although I have no idea if it's meant to protect the wearer.
  36. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I don't know whether a surgical mask would be practical or not. It just seems like to me they would possibly be choking and coughing in those masks because of exhaustion after skating their programs. They would then have to take the masks off to use Cleanex tissue. ;) :)
  37. Skittl1321

I've heard of skaters using masks to train their programs to simulate the effect of high altitude :)

But yeah, at a competition, they'd have to take their masks off when they train, so the other skaters will be exposed anyway. Maybe wearing one around a concourse would put fewer people in danger of catching the flu, but I think most of the sick skaters just go back to the hotel to rest.
  38. Fudove

Fudove New Member

Bummer not seeing Adam at 4CC but congrats to Ricky for making the most of his opportunity. With all of the injuries I am reading about it looks like who can be healthy at competition time takes the advantage. Injuries you think about sprains etc, but the flu, food poisoning they can be as debilitationg on the day. So wear those masks, wash your hands and stay out of crowds!:cold:
  39. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They don't really work.

And yeah, the oxygen intake thing.