Adam Rippon Has "It"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sk9tingfan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

A really nice interview on Lifeskate with Adam Rippon. According to David Barba and James Pellerito, when asked who was likely to be the next big US skating star, they both were impressed with Adam and said he had "it". Topics include:
    • The impact of the Orser Kim breakup
    • His new programs
    • How Morosov and Orser are different, or not
    • The evolution of the Rippon Lutz

http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2010/09/adam-rippon-poised-to-be-the-next-big-star.html

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The questioner could have been a little more detailed in the question of "figure skating-athletic or artistry?" His answer was the best it could have been under that question! Like in mens skating does doing a quad make doing less complicated choreo acceptable? Is it better to do a lot of choreo and put the jump ceiling at triple? Who deserved to win the 2010 Olympics Lysacek or Plushenko? LOL!

Thanks for the link to this interview! Hope to see a Rippon Lutz after a quad!

3. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I love his answer though!
    "Figure skating is so unique that if you aren't athletic, you can't be artistic. I feel that you have to skate as a performer, but at the same time be so finely trained as an athlete. To skate effortlessly is incredibly difficult and only someone who has trained endlessly can give you the impression that what they are doing is easy."

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Thanks for sharing the link!

Rippon's fans might also be glad to know that he will be the featured cover story in the upcoming October issue of SKATING magazine.

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love Rippon and hope he has a great season! :cheer2:

6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep, great answer. IMO, there really are no "sides" to fall on, as the interviewer suggested. The ultimate challenge, goal, essence of figure skating is to master technique and to meld athleticism with artistry. Like Adam said, you have to be an athlete first before you can truly be an artist in figure skating.

7. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I just love this guy more and more... He sems to have both his head and heart in a right place.

8. sk9tingfan

Just posted out on Twitter; notice of Universal Sports' interview with Adam. Boy, he is firing on all cylinders! I just hope that this doesn't make him nervous with respect to expectations!

http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=493413.html

9. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

A perfect balance to be sure...

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks for the link. Kudos to Adam for handling the questions about Yu Na with grace and for showing a real affection for both Brian and Yu Na. I hope Adam has a great season, I just love his attitude.

11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

"What was your relationship with Yu-Na Kim like? I've read so much about her mom too -- did you interact with her on some level or did she mainly stay out of sight?

AR: Yu-Na and I were very close last year and it was such a great and exciting experience to train with someone who would later go on to win the Olympics. Her mother never said too much to me but she was always very polite. I hope that they are enjoying LA and wish them all the best. "

It may be just my read, but the "were very close last year" and "wish them all the best" sounds like there isn't too much of a friendship any longer. Very polite, but some distance, rather like someone working hard to be really polite after a divorce.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think the only thing he's got is the "Zzzzzz..." :EVILLE:

On a more serious note, Rippon has some very good qualities (the 3lutz with both arms aloft is extremely impressive) and I wish that they could be channelled in a better way. Not impressed with what Wilson has been doing for him so far.

13. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Ouch. Tell us what you really think.

Ziggy, if they ever decide to recast the original Cutting Edge movie, you'd be perfect as Kate Mosely.

14. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. ;)

15. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

:lynch:
    Well, you can always use videotapes of his skating as a sleeping-pill.:D

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. I really like Adam's skating and hope he has a great season and beyond. :encore: Definitely one of the US eligible skaters I'm pulling for the most.

17. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

No, he doesn't. He might be the closest America's got, but he certainly has no star factor. Good skater nonetheless.

18. sk9tingfan

It's all a matter of opinion. There are many both within as well as outside of the US who think that he's just great. My question to you is, have you ever seen him skate live in Korea? I have at Festa in 2009, and saw over the course of three days how someone could go from a complete unknown to a figure skating star with a cacaphony of screams. He also has a significant following in Japan, Russia and Central Europe. We all can't be wrong.

19. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

:blah: They will cheer for a piece of wood gliding on the ice. I see where TD is coming from. Rippon has neither the look of Lysacek nor personality of Weir or Bradely. Nonetheless, I think he can be a star soley on the basis of his skating and subtle style reminiscent of Savoie.

20. Le Amarant

Le Amarant New Member

He is remarkably good looking. Prob. the best looking of the male skaters now. I'm expecting lots of fangirling once he really debuts into the public's eye.

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!!

22. Allisanna

Allisanna Member

For me, Adam either already has or is further developing all the qualites needed to be a star in the skating world. Hopefully those that aren't big fans yet, will have a change of opinion over the next few years as Adam continues to grow as a skater.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If you're into twinks, maybe. I'm not a fan of Bel Ami, personally. :p

A Bel Ami video, featuring Brezina and Rippon would probably be their biggest hit ever. :D

24. floskate

floskate Vacant

I for one love Adam, he's my kind of skater. He's one of the few top men to fully express the music with his whole body, he has gorgeous line and extension and is incredibly musical. He has beautiful spins, good flow and edges, although I don't like his crossovers. But most importantly he skates with honesty IMO. When I watch him I buy it and there's very few skaters who can do that for me. :)

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

See I totally agree on the lines and extension and he generally is very elegant and has a lot of good qualities.

I just think he could do much more with the music.

But I blame David Wilson. ;)

26. floskate

floskate Vacant

I agree on Wilson. With his ability to really dance, Adam would do so well with Dickson. I'd also be interested to see what he could come up with if he choreographed his own programs. Ditto for Abbott and Cassar.

27. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

I'd love to see what Adam's programs would be like with another choreographer. I've seen him do Morozov and Wilson choreo, but it would be great to see someone else's work on him. Maybe he could start with an exhibition piece and go from there...

I'm really looking forward to his performances at Japan Open. :watch:

28. sk9tingfan

He, along with Molly Oberstar choreographed his Cinema Paradiso Exhibition, which I think is a beautiful piece. However, it doesn't afford him an ability "to dance" per se. Maybe he and Molly will continue to choreograph other programs that are not as lyrical. Personally I disliked his "R U Gonna Be My Girl" exhibition, which I believe was choreographed by David Wilson. There was a short segment of his second footwork sequence within his SP last year that indicated that he probably could indeed dance

29. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Have you ever talked to him or spent a couple of hours with him? When he was a novice skater, he asked me if he and Austin Kanallakan could sit in the seats next to me since the people who were going to be sitting there would not be present until later in the week. It was pairs short program at US Nationals. He was so excited to be there, told me all about the skaters that he knew from his club.

And remembered me the next two years when I saw him in the concourse. I get the feeling that he could be star quality of Ryan Bradley when he chooses. But then that is based upon my interactions with him.

30. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I have heard nothing but positive things from people who have met him in person, so I have no doubt he is a very likable person. I just have hard time imagining him as "cheezeball on ice" a la Bradley:D or "popstar on ice":lynch: Maybe he has it in him or maybe he doesn't. Regardless, I think his skating alone can take him to stardom.