Actress Greta Scacchi's Shocking Revelation: My Cousin Fathered My Son

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

She had an affair with her first cousin!
    Not a crime in her neck of the woods, but I cannot help but to find it unsettling...and now what will her son have to go through now that it's public knowledge? Before, only family members knew.

D'Onofrio sounds like a twat though.

I always wondered what happened to her - she was white hot for a while and I loved her in Heat and Dust and White Mischief. She totally could have done a much better job than Sharon Stone did in Basic Instinct. I'm sure of it.

But the admission about the paternity of her son? Skeevy? Or not? Discuss.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Ick... Such a close blood ties is not good for the child. I read that the world's oldest woman had married her first cousin and lived to see her only child die from illness. She also outlived her grandson. Best of luck to both her and the kid. Modern medicine can do wonderful things and hopefully her son has nothing to worry about too much.

3. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Yes, there can be medical problems if first cousins have a child, but it's not illegal in Europe so it's hardly a scandal.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Not sure what the fuss is either.

One set of great-grandparents on my mother's side were first cousins. It was quite common within their family, for first cousins to marry. I'd like to think I turned out ok!

5. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

It's not illegal in half the states in the U.S. either, so I don't see why the huge fuss either.

6. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

My brother in law is married to his first cousin. They have two kids intheir 20s and 30s. They are fine. It was hard for me as an outsider in the family because I was the first to join the family in years, but I barely think about it now.

7. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

In many smaller farming communities, it was common because it was a small population base and not easy to travel to other communities. First cousins, second cousins, etc.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I remember hearing about this many years ago - that she had the relationship, and then later had a child. She even says in the article that it was public from almost the beginning.

9. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

It was quite common for royalty in Europe to marry cousins.

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Penny still being on The Next Food Network Star is not illegal in Europe and at least 2/3 of the US, but people still can be upset about it.

11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure why this is being treated as a big revelation, unless Greta is trying to get her name back in the public eye and/or is looking for work.

What the story doesn't mention is that prior to hooking up with her cousin, she was going out with Tim Finn (NZ musician, in Split Enz and Crowded House), and he so couldn't stand being away from her for any length of time that he basically sidelined his career and followed her around the world. And she dumped him (very bitterly and publicly) to be with her cousin, and the fact that he was her cousin was very well publicized at the time. So it's not like it's ever been a secret.

And yes, I am a Tim Finn fan, and recall that at the time she dumped him there were a couple of thousand fangirls who thought she must be the stupidest woman on Planet Earth :lol:

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I remember the relationship with D'Onofrio, including some paparazzi shots of them bickering in public, but not the relationship with her cousin that resulted in a child.

I don't know about that, but maybe a little stupid for letting D'Onofrio keep her from choosing film roles, maybe.

14. duane

duane New Member

Common perhaps, but still icky. I mean, their parents are siblings! There are too many people in the world to date than someone who has the same grandparents as you.

15. znachki

znachki Active Member

Was this in the last issue of News of the World? ;)

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Good point.

17. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I have a rule that if I share a common ancestor with someone within the last 4-5 generatons,it just isn't happening lol If someone else wants to,it's their business but it is something that doesn't interest me.

18. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

What if cousins simply fall in love?

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

IIRC, Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt were fifth cousins....were they not?
    When does it affect genetics? How close do you have to be related before the risk of defects increase?

20. duane

duane New Member

I guess it depends on when simply falling in love is enough. Is it ok if we're talking brother and sister? Uncle and niece? Father and daughter? Your son and your brother's daughter? IMO, icky all around.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My cousins are more like brothers than my own brothers sometimes. It is just rrreally hard for me to imagine. :scream:

22. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

IIRC, incest doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as genetic problems or illness goes. I read a study that debunked that a while back. It's still sort of creepy just due to social norms, but yeah, overall sort of eh.

I mean next thing you know, gays will be marrying or something :rofl:

23. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I don't have a male first cousin worth looking at twice. :slinkaway

24. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm not an expert at this, but in one generation, I believe the risks aren't large. However, when this happens over multiple generations, then the risks get larger. That's why some "small" populations have tendencies toward certain diseases or disorders...For example, Ohio Amish have a genetic tendency towards "Cohens syndrome," certain middle eastern tribes which intermarry have higher rates of certain genetic disorders than the general population, etc...

I usually like to quote scientific sources, but this 60 Minutes article gives a very good explanation of Cohen's syndrome in the Ohio Amish:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/08/60II/main700519.shtml

Here's one related to co-sanguinity and genetic disorders in Jordan: http://ncd.org.jo/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=132&Itemid=79

25. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

One of my first cousins is very close to my brother in terms of both age and looks. So... never ever ever....:slinkaway The other male first cousin I have is around 20 years old, I have not seen him since he was 8. I do not know where he lives or what he looks like now, so if I'm ever in a cougar phase I need to be careful of ever picking up any guy named Austin without looking at his birth certificate. :rollin:

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

From the Amish story:
    Can't argue with that kind of logic. They sound so willing to accept the risk.

27. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I have two first cousins who have been married to each other for about 35 years (their mothers and my mother are sisters). They have three children who are all fine. Their mothers were very upset when they eloped but got over it. We still make jokes about them being their own cousins by marriage. That, and other things, too (those two cousins always were a bit strange). :shuffle:

28. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

It may be another of those instances where the celebrity makes the revelation (comes out, etc.) because the "reporter" has come to them saying that an article is being written on this. Do they have any statements that can be added? Chad Allen had this happen. He was told he was about to be outed by a tabloid, that had proof. Did he want to be interviewed to do this nicely, or should the tabloid put their spin on the whole thing.

29. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I don't get the ick factor. I get that if can complicate a child's genetical make-up, especially if repeated through generations, but do not emotionally feel that first cousins are automatically taboo. Who do you think people in small villages married 500 years ago? I think it depends much more on circumstances of upbringing- if you played your whole life with a first cousin, he/she will probably feel more like a brother/ sister; if you saw each other first at 18, it might feel differently.

30. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

My mom's younger sister married their first cousin, who they did grow up with and were very close to as children. :yikes: They've been married for 30 years and have two children and grandchildren, so I guess it worked out for them, but it was pretty awkward when I figured out as a 5 year-old that they were related and their own children didn't even know. :lol: