According to The Skating Lesson, Gracie is getting a new SP.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ComplimentsFrom, Nov 19, 2013.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't think Totentanz is necessarily easier on the ears, though.

2. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Love it! Come on, Gracie! Make this happen!

3. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I cant believe her music choice has not leaked out.

4. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Isn't that a nice change though? In this day and age, everyone wants to be the big shot who announces big news to the masses. I think it's kind of cool no one has blabbed it yet. It won't be long though. :rolleyes:

5. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I get that the current SP could sound screechy and frenetic and in parts it's music that's hard to keep up with but I liked the short. That music comes with a lot of delicious little notes and phrases to interpret and I thought "finally something not so utterly bland for her to skate to" when I saw it. I thought the program had a lot of charm and could have scored very well in its prime.

I wonder if she just had a hard time feeling comfortable with the pace and given her history of struggles in the short. If that's the case, yeah, EoE, here we come. Kill me. Now.

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

She scored 69 points at SC with that music so i think she should have stuck with it. It's the LP that is giving her problems right now.

7. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Neither have I. Even the title of that song puts me to sleep. zzzzz...

Gold Digger FTW!
    I think Totentanz would work great with Gracie - she could even Rock a unitard!
    You know you want to know what Gracie's choice is just as much as the rest of us! :p
    Yeah, I question the wisdom of scrapping a program that scores that well but we'll see how it goes.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with Gracie's SP or her music.

8. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I was hoping that Gracie would have some backbone... It is not a good idea to start changing a good programme (which brought her excellent scores), because some skating fans were not happy with the music. She definetely should keep herself off skating forums!!!

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Do you really think that Gold is changing her SP because some fans didn't like it, and Frank Carroll sat on the sidelines and said, "Sure, Gracie, however you want to use your time is fine with me?"

10. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that´s ecactly what she is doing.... What other reason could there be? The judges liked her sp programme (based on the scores she was getting). Also I believe that the choreography will not be much different in her new sp.

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Didn't Gracie mention, in a recent interview, that she changed her LP dress from the pwincess-pink to the lilac specifically because the pink had generated so many negative online comments after SLC? Of course, GG listens to the chatter out there. It's not just fans chattering.

12. fenway2

Gracie definitely reads tweets because she has favorited or retweeted many over the years. I think Gershwin's work is a masterpiece and it was the basis for Gracie's best program ever. But folks like TSL, and some ultra-conservative old fuddie duddie fans, couldn't handle its uniqueness so she folded. Some of us appreciated the music, Gracie. Oh well, there will be a lot of happy people when she shows up at nationals with twinkly piano music. Zzzz

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  13. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Oh I can just see Frank now.... Anything you want is great with me! We will just skip happily along.

First of all.... I think the only place we have heard about an SP change get is TSL... A little suspect at this point since nothing has leaked.
    Second... With Grace's lack of musicality it probably won't make a huge difference technically. She can change the music, keep the choreo and the points.

I wish there wasn't such a rush with her and her team. With seasoning and ballet, she could really develop into a lovely and exciting skater

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

15. fenway2

16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I would rather Kostner go back to Mozart…I simply adore that program and it is the program that solidified my fandom. Although some may argue that Bolero was never skated up to her potential whereas Mozart was, I would argue that Kostner's Mozart with a 3/3 and higher tech. than what she gave us at 2012 Worlds would probably be my favorite Ladies LP performance of the past quad (outside Suzuki).

Back to Gold, I'm surprised that people are chiming in about how much they liked it when it seemed like the clear consensus was that people hated it. I personally don't see anything redeeming about it…not just the screechy violin version of a good Gershwin piece but that choreography and "dance" was all kinds of :confused:.

I know people said that it scored well…but I think a clean and inspired SP with any music would have scored about the same. Maybe Gracie really wasn't feeling it and felt as awkward as she looked out on the ice. Psychologically, changing it could be advantageous for her.

17. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

For the short, it will ALL come down to the 3 jumping passes. I can't see a lot of the other stuff REALLY mattering.

18. Jammers

I agree. With Gracie it's all about landing her jumps. If she does that in the SP then she will probably go to Sochi even if she only lands about 4 triple jumps in the LP. A clean SP at Nationals will surpass the 69 points that she got at SC.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

According to npavel in the Kostner thread today, "Carolina never said she is changing her programs... all the rest is pure speculation by the press": http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...stner-Thread&p=4067356&viewfull=1#post4067356

How do we know there was a "clear consensus" if there never was poll thread in the Trash Can about it? ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  20. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Too bad about Kostner. I don't think her Shez program is working.

21. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

For the starters, it's miles better than her LP too.

22. Jammers

Gracie seems to be doing everything in her power to make it as hard as possible to make it to Sochi with her firing her coach just as her season begins then scrapping her SP.

23. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

^This.

24. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Zueva has it down to a science with ice dance and some of her pair choreography is majestic ( Marcotte, Nichol and Zueva are the best IMO). With that being said, her singles work MAYBE with the exception of Yukari Nakano leaves me confused and disinterested. I dont believe it was wise for Gracie to use her in the first place. With that being said, I am just wondering how no one noticed that the choreography Gracie was given and the idea suggested was not for her WHILE THE PROGRAM WAS BEING CREATED!!!!! Gracie would have done well to let Lori Nichol work with her this year. Marina IMO should work with couples and leave freestyle skaters alone.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

According to Dave Lease at the end of his blog post published today on TSL:

26. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter as long as she hits the elements and skates with conviction. My personal opinion is that tepid and "nice" is better than distracting and laughable…which was what her "dance" was in the other SP.

27. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Actually, I'll take "distracting and laughable" over the typical boring US ladiezzzz fare, thanks. :shuffle:

28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Agreed :) Also, the choreo in her Gershwin SP was not choreo that many of her competitors could have physically handled. There's something to have been said for that.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Great, message received backwards. She was supposed to replace Sleeping Beauty with a strong FS, not soften up the SP :drama:

On the other hand, if the new SP allows her to breathe into it and hit her elements, it will have done its job.

30. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I wonder if Frank had Lori do any tweaking to her LP while she was there.