According to The Skating Lesson, Gracie is getting a new SP.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ComplimentsFrom, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Wonder if they will rehash one of Michelle's old sp.'s for her?

2. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Is TSL the only place we have heard about this? Are we sure it is true?

3. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Salome sp would be fine with me, Love Story or The Feeling Begins would not. Unhappy smiley face :( if its Cinderella or East of Eden

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i think frank would reach into evan's bag of tricks, what was that program he had for an entire quad? espana cani

5. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

It's an Olympic season and it's Frank Carroll. Scheherazade. It's a requirement since Linda that all his skaters use that old war horse.

6. zee703

zee703 New Member

Don't laugh - a Lori Nichol choreographed program would probably be a major improvement on Gracie's original SP (they'll need to call in Lori for a special consultation on what GG needs to do about her flailing arm syndrome).

7. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if she will have a chance to try it out in a small competition or show somewhere. I'm sure it will be COPified and they will consult judges, but it would be nice to try it out before nationals.

8. fenway2

I seriously doubt it. For every obnoxious post complaining about Gershwin's great composition, there were others who appreciated that short program.

9. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Didn't Lori brush up Evan's Gershwin originally choreographed by TAT when he won the World title? So my prediction would be Lori would brush up one of Gracie's former short program. Just sayin'.

10. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Gracie's past was all that dreadful work by Scott Brown. Druggie Nutcracker or boobie-shimmy Hernando, which to choose? Lori should definitely start from scratch.

11. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

In a lot of ways Gracie reminds me of Nicole Bobek, certainly in terms of her powerful jumps and speed.

Bobek's short and long programs from 1995 were majestic.

12. fenway2

I agree. It's a shame she doesn't seem to have Nicole's natural musicality though. Nicole could skate to nearly any style of music. I can't think of any other female skater who was so gifted in that department.

13. oliver

oliver New Member

Only Nicole was very musical...

14. fenway2

There have been other musically gifted skaters but I can't think of anyone in recent memory who has had Nicole's diversity. She could skate to any style and never looked awkward from a musical perspective. She was truly remarkable in that department.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Nicole had an element of spontaneity that was thrilling. Say what you will about her work ethic, she was a true master of performance. :swoon:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  16. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Agree. Nicole was something special, right from a young age.

I actually think Maria Butyrskaya and to a lesser degree Elena Liashenko had great interpretation.

Maria, in particular, could go from jazzy and sexy to classical and sophisticated with ease.

Too bad she went for slow music in her final season; I hoped she would do a tango for her Salt Lake freeskate.

Back to the topic at hand.

I really dislike Gracie's FS arrangement, and agree that it invites unfavorable comparisons to Angela Nikodinov's version, which was a masterpiece.

I think the opening suits her style -- powerful and sweeping -- but the rest falls off.

The old short kinda worked with her frenetic arms.

I'd almost prefer they lengthen that with a slow section and recycle last year's short, but that's probably asking for way too much.

17. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

Do we have any inkling as to what the new SP music choice is? Any :sekret: ?

18. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

19. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Even though the Gershwin Trio was a little eery with the screechy violin aspect of it, I thought choreographically it worked for Gracie. There was much more choreography than before, and musically I thought she interpreted pretty well.

If she's with Frank I'm assuming Lori will have a part in the new SP's choreography.

Personally I thought the long was the bigger mess to deal with. It's just not a fit at all for her skating style. She's a square peg and the program is a round hole. Yikes. What a messy season for Gracie. Hopefully she's not getting overwhelmed with all the changes.

I could see Daphnis & ChloƩ working for her. It's not a predictable choice but I think it would suit her speed and youthful sprite.

Also, is it strange that I could see Send in the Clowns too? Don't torch me down on that one...:lynch:

20. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Only if Gracie combines it with Tone Loc :cool:

21. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I actually think "Rhapsody in Blue" would be brilliant for her as well.

Frenetic windmill arms and all.

22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yes, another vote for Rhapsody in Blue!

I would like to add "My Drag" and pretty much anything by Copland as other good options.

23. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

But Gracie doesn't flutz

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Very true, and combined with her performanced quality, she understood how to sell the musical build-up and the high points in the music.

25. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

:duh: jenny12 - Ima let you finish, but "Gold-Digger" is the most name appropriate Kanye song for Gracie Gold of all-time!

"Gold-Digger"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vwNcNOTVzY&hd=1

get down gurl, go 'head get down :rollin:

"My Drag"! Squirrel Nut Zippers!! What a blast from the past, Hopefully more Jamie Dantzcher and less Morgan White. That could be great music for her though, the jumps would look awesome with the tempo and it's got attitude and spunk galore. I'll see your My Drag and raise you a "Black Cat, White Cat"

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  26. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Please not Rhapsody in Blue. I've never understood why it's so popular :scream:

Gold Digger :respec:

27. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

and never awkward looking. She knew how to properly move her body.

28. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I remember Dick Button (at '95 Nats, maybe?) praising her sense of theater and saying "She knows what the audience is looking at" which I thought was very true.

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I am one of the "appreciators".

30. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I am too. Gershwin was definitely my favorite Gracie program so far. I'm sad we won't see it again.

Someone previously suggested Totentanz, which is the music Irina Slutskaya used for her 2006 Olympic SP. I agree it would be a great choice to show off Gracie's speed and power.