According to The Skating Lesson, Gracie is getting a new SP.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ComplimentsFrom, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ComplimentsFrom

ComplimentsFrom Banned Member

I don't know how I feel about this with it only being 3 months til the Olympics. I thought the FP was much more problematic-- of course it is much longer and fixing it now would be more taxing than just fixing the SP.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It was a good program and she got good PCS for it. Crazy decision, IMO, given it's only 2 months until US Nationals.

3. Kathryn2001

Kathryn2001 Member

Can I ask where you found that information on The Skating Lesson? Am I missing something? I haven't seen anything new on their site recently, in fact I've been hoping to see a new This&That.

4. ComplimentsFrom

It is on their Facebook page. I know, I'm embarrassed too for still using Facebook.

5. SLIVER

SLIVER New Member

Not the most relevant point but the music was so hideous, I am kind of glad but agree that it's a tad risky. She'll probably just change the music and leave the lay out pretty much the same. I mean how much choreography is there in a short prog nowadays anyway, when the spins and the footwork take so long. I hope she debuts it somewhere before nationals though, cus that would be madness.

6. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

It's funny how TSL seems to think they're speaking for everyone by behaving like no one else liked the music and it's so great that Gracie dumped it. It's also funny to see some acting like Gershwin was some hack composer. Yeah even geniuses produce mediocre work but Three Preludes is a great work, and I'm not much of a jazz fan. Gracie's program wasn't great but it had potential to be great. Such a shame that she's caving in to the fuddyduddys who won't be happy until she's skating to something generic and safe like Legends of the Fall or Malaguena.

Hey, is this the first Olympics where we won't see Malaguena by anyone? :lol:

7. ComplimentsFrom

Yeah, can we stop it with the "This is not an Olympic program" gripe? Yeah, it's called trying to be push yourself and do something innovative for once for the worldwide audience. Maybe that's why I'm starting to love Volosozhar/Trankov's Jesus Christ Superstar program.

And I thought Gold's SP music was alright; it was different, and different wasn't bad in this case. Regardless, it suits her.

8. marysy

marysy Active Member

The violin version of Three Preludes was actually used by Katia Gordeeva for Stars on Ice during her early pro years, also choreographed by Marina Zueva. Untraditional choice for Gordeeva as well, but I thought it actually made for quite an interesting and charming program. (See http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16po6_1998-soi-three-preludes_music or http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x333k_1998-three-preludes_sport) Unfortunately, I don't think Gracie was able to carry off such a piece of music as successfully. Perhaps it would've improved as the season went along, but in my opinion, not the worst idea to get a new program.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  9. Dolore

Dolore New Member

I believe Elizaveta Tuktamysheva is skating to it in her short program unless she too drops it last minute ( one can hope :lol: But I think it's actually a nice choice for her style of skating ).

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Thank goodness - Zueva is not infallible & Three Preludes in the violin arrangement is a horrendous piece of music.

Yesterday, I was just watching Balanchine's Who Cares? ballet, to popular Gershwin melodies, and was thinking to myself, "Why on earth can't Gracie Gold perform to any of the 20+ tunes in this ballet, rather than that awful Three Preludes?" Any of the female solos in that ballet would make a delightful SP, when translated to the ice. 'Stairway to Paradise,' for example.

11. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Three Preludes is a wonderful composition. It jusr does not lend itself well to skating competitive programs. It seems better suited for a show.

12. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Lucky for Fenway2 Tuktamysheva probably wont compete there.

13. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

FYI they announced on facebook that due to lack of time they will not be doing NHK, TEB and Cup of Russia recaps and will do one after the GP final. The recaps are replacing "this and that" during the GP season.

14. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

I'm puzzled by TSL. The went out all gangbusters for about 4 or 5 months and now they're just too busy? Somethings wrong there.

15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

It's called work.

16. sapphiresky

sapphiresky New Member

:lol:

I agree with other posters. Even though I really disliked the music, her SP was less boring to watch than her LP. I literally fell asleep watching her LP on TV one day haha...
    I also don't know if putting time in to learn a new SP is where time should be spent...she has other areas to improve on, and this isn't a wise use of it. Even if she gets a new SP, I doubt it would make as much of a difference in her marks than working on the other technical areas/artistry and presentation.

17. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:)I think this is good news as I'm not a fan of Gershwin. I can't wait to hear what she will be skating too.

18. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I mean, I admired that she went for something that was not twinkly-princess music, though the music was grating (my ears are grateful for the change!).

Here's to hoping though that she doesn't end up going that route now. Of the two programs, I would have preferred an LP change personally.

19. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

To be fair, the original is quite wonderful- here is Gershwin playing his pieces. Sounds so much more accessible, jazzy and lovely. http://youtu.be/soEUH4H7gog
    The violin version is problematic for ice rinks- violins in general often sound screechy if the sound system is not of high quality, and in Gracie's version I felt that the "early jazz" quality was lost. The SP started to grow on me as the year progressed, but I cannot say I bemoan Gracie's change. Would love to know what the new music is. Hopefully not TOO conventional.

20. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

They are doing it basically for free, so we should be happy to get whatever they are able or decide to do.

21. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^I second that. I have a full-time job and it's tough to update my blog every week. I've managed to stay on top of it this season but when things get busy it's really easy to fall behind. So when other things come up, the blog has to take a backseat.

It takes me a few hours each week and I only cover the ladies; TSL covers all four disciplines! I can't imagine how much time it must take for them to produce a show every week considering they have to coordinate with each other (they live in different cities) and their technical guy to get everything filmed, edited and ready to post...and all that on top of their day jobs and the rest of their lives.

I tweeted them after NHK asking about their review and they said they'd do a GP season wrap up after COR this week. I'm looking forward to it. :)

22. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

The new short program will probably be Carmen choreo by Lori Nichol. :D

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

And here I was hoping that would be the new FS :drama:.

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  24. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

As long as it is not "Sing, Sing, Sing". I can even take Carmen rather than that.

25. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think Gold is being pushed too far too fast. It is only her second year as a senior and the amount of hype she gets is that of an Olympic gold medal favorite. She looks hyper on the ice which is probably nerves and adrenaline. It is hard to stay calm when everyone has such high expectations of your performance.

So many junior ladies get hyped as the next skating legend and then when they are less than perfect at the senior level they are dismissed as failures. Skating is a mental game as well as physical and it doesn't help these ladies' development to be uber-hyped and then abandoned when they don't live up to their PR.

26. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

First Brian changing his program, now G.G., lol I can't even remember their old programs. :D

GOOD LUCK, G.G., KICK BOOTY! :kickass:

27. ComplimentsFrom

Who's Brian?

28. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Joubert ditched his Inception program :(

29. ComplimentsFrom

He's still going?

In any case, I'd just advise him to move on.

30. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

Thanks! I still don't like this music, but this version sounds so much less offensive than the one Gracie used. Good point on the voilin sounds perhaps not translating well to ice arenas. When I first saw her SP I had to pause and pull up a youtube video to test the sound b/c I thought the speakers on my laptop had gone kaput ...

Maybe they will just choose new music and only make slight tweaks from her current program (just enough to match the new piece instead of a complete overhaul)? In any case, hope it works out for her. My ears, however, are pretty grateful for this change :)