Accents and hotness

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 25, 2011.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Oh, goodness, yes. Man just gets better looking as he ages.

But his NOLA accent does make him hotter. That's an accent I do like. South Carolina is also one that can be very, very nice - it has that "genteel" sound to it that someone else had mentioned.

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Here's another thread drift. On Netflix instant watch, there's a movie from 2004 called I Capture the Castle and Cavill was pretty smokin' in that one. BTW, the movie was excellent and also stars Bill Nighy, Rose Byrne (love her), and Elliot from ET. There was actually a lot of great British actors in that one, many of them didn't become "famous" till later on.

3. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

What? We have accents here in the Midwest?

I find that any UK/Australian/South African accent can take a mildly attractive man and turn him into a SEX GOD.

I worked with a man from Montreal who had a :swoon: accent. He was also very attractive before he ever opened his mouth, so the accent didn't really make a difference.

4. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Irish accents very much depends for me - northern irish soooooo not, southern Irish yeeeeeeees!

Ant

5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

As an Australian, that's hilarious. Most Aussies have such flat sounding voices (including my own for that matter).

6. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

Yeah, what was that one girl thinking?! Elliot or Henry Cavill? :rolleyes:

7. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

That phrase alone made my pants drop to my ankles. :swoon:

8. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

You need to get a belt :rofl:

9. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

French and Italian accents are hot. I can't watch Top Chef without feeling frisky. German accents....not so much.

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Well, there's a huge range of "Canadian accents" of course, and if you are Canadian then "ordinary Canadian" is no accent at all. :cool:

We listed Newfie and hoser as being non-hot accents, but actually got into a discussion about that. Newfie & hoser accents make a guy seem less cute physically, but since so many Newfies and hosers are hilarous comedians, and being funny increases a guy's overall attractiveness ...

French-Canadian accents can be hot when they're speaking English; but when they're speaking Quebecois French it's decidedly non-hot. Quebecois French is very gutteral sounding compared to French-French, not appealing at all IMO.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  11. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm Australian too but I've lived in Europe for a few years and have lost quite a bit of my accent. It still comes out occassionally, but a new guy at work was fairly surprised today when I told him where I was from. He hadn't picked up on it at all in the last 2 weeks.

I find the Aussie accent horrible now that I'm living overseas. Like cringeworthy horrible. Equally annoying to me are NZ and SA accents. Sorry :shuffle:

I used to find the Irish accent hot, until I met a couple of Irish guys I loathed, and now it's tarnished :drama: Scottish still holds hotness, English very much depends on the accent, the rest of Europe is quite :swoon:

12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Boston accent = "Not Sexy" I don't care what the guy speaking it looks like. Yes, even you, RFK.

Edinburgh accent = "Sexy", Glasgow...not so much.

Certain west-Irish accents = "Sexy", lower-class Dublin = "I am going to beat you with a tyre iron until you learn to ennunciate so I can understand you on the phone"...or possibly that's just Dave an I have issues from trying to deal with him on the phone.... (Seriously, working-class Dublin spoken quickly borders on unintelligible. Not sexy.)

Northern Irish: Sexy. (Probably because is has a distinct Scottish lilt.)

Manchester: Not sexy.
    Blackburn: Like Mancunians only worse.

Southern US--You have to be more specific.

13. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I love Scottish accents.And I like Southern accents,especially if they sound anything like Matthew McConaughey and I've developed a fondness for a slight Cajun accent.

14. Orable

Orable New Member

I mean...he can have the world's worst accent and squeakiest voice, but with those looks? Still makes me :grope: He's hawwwwwwwwwwt. Also, thanks for the link!

Speaking in generalities? French accents speaking in English? Rowr. Italian accents in English? Not so much. In general, though, the hotness of the accent depends on the hotness of the guy. On Ewan McGregor, James McAvoy, Danny Bhoy (I get a kick out of that name, too :p) the Scottish accent is very, very appealing. I don't find Gerard Butler very attractive, so I'm meh on his accent.

To atone for my sins to all you Butlerites out there, for your Scottish accenty pleasure:

Craig Ferguson interviews Gerard Butler
    Craig Ferguson interviews James McAvoy ("Scottish vacuum of charm" :rofl: )
    Craig Ferguson interviews Ewan McGregor (I seriously think they have the best chemistry evah! Also, how EM pulls off rascally so charmingly, I have no idea...)

Anyway, I love love love all Latin American accents in English :grope: but then again, I happen to think that Spanish is a pretty language and Portuguese might possibly be the sexiest language on earth :swoon: Kaka interview as an example (I know, he talks about the Bible, his wife, baby...I know, I know, a lot of people are meh about Kaka, but listen to the accent! :swoon: ) Added bonus, the interviewer is talking in Pretty Portugese :)

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

We recently got Craig Ferguson on Australian TV. I would love to hear him interviewing Justin and Colin from "How not to decorate". Nothing like a gay Scottish accent (which is strange considering I am a woman).

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I havent called a call center and got anyone in the US in a long time :lol:

17. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I love Craig Ferguson.I have to say that Gerard and Craig have awesome chemistry though,those 2 together are hilarious,I guess it helps that they've known eachother for years.

18. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

My favorite accent is that African clicking language one. But seriously folks, growing up I worked very hard to get the most neutral accent I could get (New Zealander Sam Neil has the best nuetral accent in my opinion. He doesn't sound British, American, Aussie or New Zealand). However when I lived in the USA I found it rather beneficial to bring my Aussie accent back thick and strong. Beneficial :grope: wise that is. I used to hate the Aussie accent because I thought it made us sound unintelligent (think Olivia Newton John back in Grease :yikes:). It doesn't bother me at all any more. I say "G'day mate" when greeting people which at one stage would have made me cringe.
    I find the Irish accent very hot, and my Texan partner has a sexy accent. I still giggle when he says things like "...all y'all..."

19. Artemis@BC

Those three top my list of hottest Scots (sorry Sean Connery, you've been replaced), but even without their natural accents I wouldn't kick them out of bed for eating crackers. Both McGreggor & McAvoy have at times done various English & American accents, and they were still :swoon: And as I mentioned earlier I find funny men extremely appealing, so Danny Bhoy is hot in any accent. (His Welsh is particularly hilarious.)

20. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

David Tennant is :swoon: enough with his English accent, but when he's got his native Scot on...then he's mega :swoon:

21. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that. I go to Lenox, MA once a month for a contra dance, and I have yet to encounter anyone at that dance who has that "Kennedy" sound, as I like to call it.

22. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Oh God, thank you! Ewan McGregor! :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: Charming as anyone could ever be! We really don't see him enough, do we!

Interesting how each of their accents seems to get stronger as the interview went on. Or was I just more and more into it?

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Apparently the one thing he had trouble losing when playing Doctor Who was the Scottish long o (as in moon, spoon, June, etc). So what line do the writers give him?

"Judoon platoon upon the moon."

Really, the man doesn't just have a great voice, he has the patience of a saint.

24. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

But seriously, you would actually waste an evening even discussing such a superficial subject? Pot, kettle, black.

25. Artemis@BC

One of my favourite episodes of Dr Who was "Tooth & Claw" when they went to Scotland. The Doctor/Tennant got to revert to his native language to "blend in." (And then Rose tried to do Scots and The Doctor made her stop. :lol:)

But I first fell in love with Tennant in Taking Over the Asylum -- full-blown Scottish and a red-head!

26. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

Just started watching the new show, "Extra Virgin" on the Cooking Channel with Debi Mazar and her Italian husband, Gabriele. I love his accent. Every word becomes interesting, even "chicken". He is not hot like most Italian men. He has a scrawny neck, but then he is in a band.:lol:

27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love Italian accents. The whole time I was in Rome, I don't think I actually took in a single fact from a tour guide, because I was too busy :swoon: at their accents.

28. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  29. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I don't. It sounds like a fake/incorrect English to me. :p

30. Norlite

Norlite New Member

While I don't dislike it, I somewhat agree. To me the Aussie accent is to an English one as the Québécois one is to French. :shuffle:

YMMV.