Accents and hotness

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I had a girls' night on Sunday and, as oft happens when we get together and have a couple of glasses of wine, the conversation turned to the shallow and superficial. One topic of discussion was which accents make a guy seem more attractive, and which ones less so.

The list we came up with:

Accents with a positive effect on attractiveness: Scottish, Irish, Spanish, Italian, any Scandanavian, Aussie, Kiwi, middle- or upper-class English

Accents that make an attractive man more attractive, and an unattractive man less attractive: French, German, Russian, Scouser, Manchunian, Geordie, Middle Eastern

Accents that have a negative effect on hotness: Newfie, hoser, southern US, New England, Bronx/Brooklin/Queens etc., cockney, Cornish

Neutral/no pattern: all Asian, Indian, South African

Thoughts?

2. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Your accent categories are a little broad. For instance, there is no such thing as a New England accent. I'm from Western Mass. and have a very identifiable and totally different accent than someone from Boston or someone from Maine.

As to hotness, I have no opinion.

3. Artemis@BC

Yes there are obvious ranges within most of these categories. There are many different Scottish accents, as just one example. But we were unanimous in our opinion that all New England accents -- Bostonian, Maine, Vermont, etc. -- had the same negative effect on hotness. And all Scottish accents had a positive rating.

But seriously, are you going to get that picky about such a superficial subject? :lol:

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't think a cute accent makes an unattractive men less atractive. If anything it's bonus point that could offset his "unattractiveness".

I love all European accent and anyone from Down Under :hat1:.

5. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

When I hear an Aussie accent, I lose control of all reasoning. :swoon:

6. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

For me, it's Aussie, English, and Scottish. Of any kind, really... I think they enhance attractiveness. I don't even know why.

I want Gerard Butler and Henry Cavill to record the dictionary together, so I can listen to it all the time. :swoon:

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Visions of Gerard Butler in my mind now....yum. Yum yum yum.....

8. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Brazilian and Portuguese.

9. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Jersey.

10. Artemis@BC

Um, hot or not? Dare I ask?

11. Artemis@BC

It was only for those particular accents. For example: cute guy with Russian accent is extra cute ... but sleezy gangster/pimp type is even less attractive when he has a Russian accent.

Did I mention wine was involved? :eek:

12. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

At your own risk :EVILLE:

For more serious answer, I always found Aussie ladies incredibly attractive.
    Elle MacPherson :swoon:

13. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I really like new castle and scottish accent.

I can't stand Chinese/vietnamese accent or their language.. sounds like they are mad.

14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Well, there goes your invitation to the next family gathering. :p

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Well for me Irish or Scottish.

There is a young French guy who works for my company who has a gorgeous accent. I only get to see him occaisionally. Got to dance with him at the Christmas party.

I can't believe that people find the Aussie accent attractive. Yes I know I am one of them. Although it depends if they are bogans or not. There was a great documentary about the development of the Australian accent because we do have so many different kinds.

16. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. :swoon: You have good taste! (My mom makes fun of me. "He's almost 17 years older than you!" "So? YOU think he's hot." "Yes, but I'm almost 62, I can be a cougar." :rofl: )

AW, I had a co-worker from Adelaide and I thought his accent was just darling. Attractive, but more on the cute side.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

OMG, the Boston accent is :so hot: Have you seen/heard Mark Wahlberg? :fans self: Not as a young cocky baaahstuhd, mind. But as an older, confident actor: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:64&biw=1188&bih=614

Or my goodness, Matt Damon:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=VoQ_TeG4K4Wdlgf_6LWaAw&ved=0CCUQ9QEwAQ

I mean, not that I'm biased or anything being from Boston myself ;)

18. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

I wish Gerard Butler would use his actual accent more often in films. It's a real shame!

19. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Hot-European. Latin
    Semi-hot-Aussie, Kiwi
    Neutral-Middle Eastern, African, Western US
    Semi-neutral-Asian, except Southeast Asian, Cantonese, Eastern US
    Not Hot-Vietnamese, Cantonese, Cambodian, Filipino, Laotian, Thai, Southern, Midwest US

20. missflick

missflick New Member

Me too. Big soft spot for those.

21. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

:fragile: :wuzrobbed

:cheer2: :40beers: :respec:

Of course, my standard response when people ask me why I don't have a Boston accent is that I'm not Irish or Italian. :shuffle:

22. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Me three. Top two, with Irish coming out slightly ahead.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I still think Gerard Butler was at his hottest in the film Dear Frankie. I haven't really liked him as much in his other roles.

24. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Oh, God, did I start a thread drift? :rofl: I haven't seen it but I heard it was wonderful.

I really love chick flicks so I loved PS I Love You. :shuffle:

I'm going to stop now.

Listen to Henry Cavill. That accent...that voice...nom.

25. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

You do realize this is considered the most "neutral" of the accents? That's why all the call centers in the US are here? Our boringness makes us not hot. :drama:

26. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I'll agree that a hard Southern "redneck" accent can be pretty unattractive, especially if you're not accustomed to it.

However, the genteel, Southern drawl (when not overdone) can be quite :swoon: .

As for hot or not,

Scottish, Dutch, Scandinavian, German, Russian - when I hear those, I become Jamie Lee Curtis in A Fish Called Wanda :rofl:

Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, SE Asian, and Italian accents do nothing for me, no matter how hot the guy/girl might be.

27. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

That was the film when I first discovered him. I don't understand why that film is underated. I also love him in RocknRolla. He's so funny in that one and hot too!

28. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

No love for Canadian accents?

I do.

And Southern US - Ooh I like. And I like South African accents. There's something seriously rugged about them.

And there seems to be this idea that redneck/trailer trash/cocky accents aren't hot. Yes they are.

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on whose mouth the accent is coming from.

Case in point: Matthew McConaughey? Attractive. Larry the Cable Guy? Not so much.

30. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

Harry Connick Jr.:swoon: