Academy Award Nominations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

James Franco continues to :rofl: me. The day before he hosts his first Oscar ceremony(/ attends his first Oscars as Lead Actor nominee), he'll have returned to his scene-chewing serial killer role at General Hospital.

And, oh, he hopes to be hosting the Daytime Emmys a couple of months after said Oscars. :lol:

Franco 1 / ego 0

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

The other unwritten rule seems to be that child actors will be more likely nominated in supporting categories, no matter how "lead" their roles are.

3. Artemis@BC

OMG, he might wear a kilt to the awards? I :swoon: at the very thought of it!

4. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Was Despicable Me last year?

I've seen 5 of the 10 best picture noms (working on the rest) and so far I do like Black Swan the best. I enjoyed the social network but I think it was sort of more a great story than a great movie. I understand that a lot of people didn't like Black Swan, though. I loved Inception, but it isn't the kind of movie that wins. I still need to see King's Speech.

5. Artemis@BC

It was 2010, but I'm glad it wasn't nominated. It was pretty lame IMO, certainly by comparison to the other noms, and it devalues the category if they nominate a film just because it "fits."

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

The characters in Despicable Me were cute -- especially the minions! -- but it had no real story to speak of. It was all right to sit through once, but I wouldn't bother seeing it again.

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I honestly think Bening would have won (deservedly!) for American Beauty but she was up against Hilary Swank for Boys Don't Cry, and that one was a lock. 1999 was a very competitive year in all the major categories, unfortunately for the also-rans.

And the fact that Renee Zellweger has an Oscar for anything is :scream:

:eek: I LOVE Despicable Me!!!! :eek:

8. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Did you see Cold Mountain? She saved that movie!!!

9. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

:lol: I'd love to know what he was thinking when he signed up to do a soap - and then really enjoys it! Great to see some actors aren't total snobs.

Bummed for Andrew Garfield, not that surprised that Mila Kunis didn't get nominated. Her part wasn't all that much. Then again, neither was Amy Adams's, though I did highly enjoy her swear-word-laden intercom fight with Christian Bale's character. I'm rooting for Melissa Leo.

10. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

May I join you down there?

:swoon:

Javier in a tux and Colin in a Kilt!!! (I'm of direct Scottish ancestry, so... :D ) I might not make through the Red Carpet Arrivals, forget the actual Awards. :D

11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I thought Bening should have been nominated for supporting role in American Beauty and she would have won. I did not feel it was a strong enough lead role to compete against Hillary's BDC role, which was practically unbeatable. I think another time Bening was up against another unbeatable role by Hillary (Million dollar baby).

I think Natalie's role this year is unbeatable too, and it will keep Bening from winning the Oscar yet again.

In order for Bening to win the Oscar she will need to play a flawed character, like mental or physical problem. Usually those types win the Oscar. I am not saying the actors did not deserve the awards; it's just that it somehow gets higher recognition.

P.S. Talking of supporting role, how did Hailee (True Grit) get nominated for supporting role when she is the main character in the movie? I will be quite upset if she wins the Oscar because of this.

12. Michalle

Michalle New Member

Wasn't Melissa Leo fired from BOTH The Young Riders and Homicide for not being "hot" enough? First of all, she was totally hot in Homicide (didn't like how they dressed her in The Young Riders though) and also, she was as awesome then as she is now. I hope the morons who made those decisions feel like total idiots now that she's picked up Oscar Nomination #2...

13. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks True Grit was overrated and did not really deserve that many (10) nominations? I disagree with the best pic and best lead actor noms. Bridges did fine, but I did not feel it was really one of the best roles, unless he is getting recognized for playing a role previously played by John Wayne.

BTW it was nice to see Winter's Bone and Kids are all right get the recognition with 4 noms each. Usually the artsy films are ignored. I am happy that there are 10 BP nominations since last year.

14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I saw Rush's role as supporting in the King's speech. The main character was very clearly Firth's. I don't think it should even be open to a debate. Rush was very very good, but I think Christian Bale had the best supporting actor performance this year in The Fighter.

About more than one lead in a movie, yes it is possible. IIRC in Thelma & Louise both actresses were nominated for the lead actress Oscar (and neither won, probably because the votes got split).

15. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

ITA, Rush's role was supporting in every way. After seeing The Fighter, Christian Bale is as much of a lock as you can get. Phenomenal performance.

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That would be my guess too. Natalie has gotten so much buzz for that role.

17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I thought Million Dollar Baby was overrated and awful. Anybody should have been able to beat Swank, but I think the Academy went with the 'safe' choice because the field was so loaded. As big a wuzrobbed as Bening was for Being Julia, there was also Imelda Staunton for Vera Drake and the girl who was Maria in Maria Full of Grace. Apologies to the fifth nominee; I don't remember who that was. In any case, this particular field was very strong.

18. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I would have liked to have seen Nolan get a nomination. I also would have liked for The Town to have sneaked in to the Best Picture top ten list.

I don't think Annette Benning's performance was Oscar-worthy and I think might have had even less of a chance in the supporting category, which is a very strong category this year.

Rush was fabulous, but Christian Bale was even better.

I'm rooting for Colin Firth all the way -- kilt or no kilt. :lol:

19. Artemis@BC

Shall we pray for a strong wind that night?

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I can't believe Nolan wasn't nominated :blah:

I've seen more Best Picture noms than I usually have...Inception, The Kids Are All Right, Black Swan, The Social Network and Toy Story 3. I still need to see The King's Speech. I liked Inception and Black Swan both very much. I doubt either will win, though.

And count me as a Despicable Me hater. Ugh, boring, pointless and soooo annoying. :p

21. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I have seen The King's Speech, True Grit and Black Swan. I think I am going to the Fighter tonight. Is it a good movie?

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

He's said it's actually helped him in movie roles because for soaps you have to memorize long scripts very very quickly.

Yeah, Franco is awesome. :lol:

23. mila19

mila19 New Member

Yes he is:D

I'm very :drama: about Chris Nolan not getting a nomination at all. I would have thought Marion Cotillard deserved a nomination as well, she was fab as Mal. Overall I just loved Inception, innit?!:lol:

24. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

My boss has done nothing but rave about it.

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The fifth nominee was Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind. She was my personal favorite that year. I thought Catalina Sandino Moreno for Maria Full of Grace was clearly the weakest of the nominees. I have no problem with Hillary Swank winning for both roles. I think you could make a case for any of those women winning for the Million Dollar Baby year. I was hoping Swank might've pulled off an Oscar nod just to see her and Annette Benning compete against each other again (with Benning winning). That said, I think Natalie Portman definitely deserves it between the two.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I enjoyed The Fighter tremendously. Every performance in the film is first rate, particularly Melissa Leo and Amy Adams. I've over the moon for David O'Russell to get nominated for Best Director.

27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I admit that The Fighter is not really the type of movie I enjoy (it's a boxer movie), but the performances are top notch and the movie is well made. I have been raving over Christian Bale's performance ever since I saw this movie.

28. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Don't know about TYR, but IIRC you are about Homicide. I loved that show and it was when decisions such as this happened is when it started to go downhill. A pity too.

I know that Criminal Minds isn't everyone's cup of tea, but she did her usual outstanding job on an episode back during the Second Season as one of the main Guest Stars for that one. It was great to see her again and I'm beyond thrilled she's been nominated again for an Oscar!!! :D

29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I love Annette Benning but I don't think her performance in TKAAR is worthy of an Oscar. I felt Portman was much stronger, despite what you may think of the film. I think Portman might be robbed because the voters see her as young and having many more chances. If they would just give the awards on who earned it that year then the truly strong actors and actresses will eventually win. If someone is always up against a career defining role then so be it, maybe you will get a lifetime achievement award later.

30. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I was a huge Homicide fan (loved Kyle Secor and Andre Braugher particularly), and remember Leo's departure merely as "not being picked up after her current contract ended." Of course it was a long time ago. Fired for not being sexy? Leo took such pride in not bending to play "sexy" - maybe it backfired on her? With a large cast to write/invent storires for, maybe Homicide PTB decided that keeping an actress who would not do sexy scenes and such was too limiting? Especially when a series gets long in the tooth, it needs to branch out the characters ... sometmies into the love life (re: Secor's character coming out as gay - or at least bi - in the final season).

Whatever the history, I'm glad she's got another Oscar nom, and is this time a real challenger to win it! Outstanding actress.