Academy Award Nominations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

It's the same with Rush in The King's Speech, even more so. But that happens all the time: there's an almost universal unwritten rule that only 1 "lead" actor is allowed per film, so no matter how big the other parts are, they're "supporting." A bit unfair on some of the other noms who really were "supporting," but there you go.

In the case of The King's Speech, though, I'm glad it happened that way, as both Firth & Rush deserve to win and the only way that can happen is if they're in different categories.
  2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Am THRILLED for Melissa Leo!!! Would love to see her win it.

Happy for The King's Speech and delighted for Colin.

My favourite nom though just for the potential pretty in a tux would be Javier Bardem...Ooooh la la!!! :D
  3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I wonder if Franco's Yale classmates will give him applauses when he walks into classes today :lol:.
  4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen Exit Through the Gift Shop? It is nominated for Best Documentary. I am a little worried because this documentary has been heavily criticized as not being real. I don't want to give away anything but many many people feel it was all set up as a huge prank, basically. That is the simple explanation without going into spoiler details. Where do you draw the line between an actual documentary and a film made to look like a documentary (mockumentary as they call them)?
  5. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Interesting - a lot of people had pegged Ryan Gosling and Paul Giamatti instead of Javier Bardem and James Franco, but still pretty good choices.
  6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I thought the original sucked. John Wayne got a career Oscar. He had the dimension and depth of a stop sign. I am certain Jeff Bridges is much better. I've yet to see a bad Jeff Bridges performance.

I want to see Annette Bening get BA - she got robbed twice.
    I read on a gossip site (by FORCE) that Halle Berry was counting on a nod for Frankie & Alice....didn't happen :fragile:.
  7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to see it. A friend was trying to set up a viewing for a bunch of us, but she hasn't been able to find a date yet that works for everyone.

Sez you. :p I think it's an awesome movie and Wayne is awesome in it. The "fill your hands" scene alone was Oscar-worthy. The way he played to his strengths while at the same time playing against his image (the "old fat washed-up gunfighter" now, instead of the iconic cowboy) -- it's not everyone that can do that.
  8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Puh-leeze. He was horrid in most of his flicks - and I actually liked films like The Sea Chase and Blood Alley. I thought it was the same part he played in his other cowboy flicks, except he had a gut :p.
  9. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

I saw it. It's excellent, but I've also heard musings that it could have been entirely staged. I never did hear definitively one way or another, however. I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt that it's authentic, but wouldn't be at all surprised if it was proven otherwise.

Even if it was staged, it is still somewhat of a documentary on the art world and attitudes surrounding it (maybe that's a stretch?).
  10. Wyliefan

Was not.

(Obviously, this was destined to degenerate into a "Was not!" "Was too!" fight -- thought I might as well cut to the chase. :D )
  11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Um, okay. You have convinced me of the error of my ways....:shuffle:

NOT.
  12. Artemis@BC

I questioned that one not because of the "not real" controversy but because I didn't think it was a particularly fabulous film. Enjoyable, sure, but hardly the best example of the genre (esp. when there are so many others to choose from).

I wonder if it was political, though. In the past the documentary branch of the Academy had been hugely criticized for ignoring huge documentary films in the past (Thin Blue Line anyone?). In the most recent few years they've swung more toward "popular" docs -- some still deserving of Oscar nominations, some, um, not.
  13. Wyliefan

Same to you, NOT. :lol:
  14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Exit through the Gift Shop is awesome. Even if you aren't an art world follower, there are enough funny/ridiculous events in it to keep you entertained. Personally I would like to see it win just to see if Banksy, Mr. brainwash, or someone else entirely shows up to collect the award :lol:

However, it is up against the also very awesome Inside Job, which is a kick-ass documentary about the financial crisis. The take-no-prisoners interviews in this film were some of the best moments I witnessed in a theatre this past year. I would be very happy to see this one win too.

ETA that Inside Job was released by a major studio (Sony) so if there is politicking for the award it may have an advantage.
  15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I love her, hope she gets it--she is due.
  16. a56

a56 New Member

Too bad for Chris Nolan, getting snubbed year after year after year.

I am really curious to see whether Annette Bening will win the Oscar. I still think Natalie Portman is ahead. However, considering the Academy passed Annette over for the same actress twice within 5 years (!!), I don't think she's that popular among the Oscar voters. If she doesn't win this time around, I think Annette's best chance for an Oscar may be to just have a strong supporting role in a film and get a supporting actress Oscar as sort of a career achievement award. Actors like Morgan Freeman, Alan Arkin, Cate Blanchett, and Renee Zellweger all were nominated for at least 2-3 Lead Acting Oscars (some were even favored to win those Lead Acting Oscars, such as perhaps Zellweger after she won the SAG award for Chicago), but received one Supporting Acting Oscar as a consolation, career achievement prize.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

They did this to Tim Robbins for his wonderful performance in The Shawshank Redemption. Morgan Freeman clearly had the supporting role, but go the Best Actor nod...IIRC, Pulp Fiction had similar issues with Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson. Jackson had the meatier role but got a Supporting Actor nod. There are exceptions - like Thelma & Louise and All About Eve are two that I can think of now where both leads were nominated in the Best Actor/Actress category.

:respec: truce? ;)

I watched her in Love Affair over the holidays. It is by far the worst version of the three that have been made of this rather dated story (Beatty was godawful). But something about Annette's performance - she was so calm and centered when she could have went totally OTT...she was the saving grace here and in Bugsy. Again, with this Beatty guy :rolleyes: ;).
  18. Wyliefan

Truce! :) And here's something we have in common: I don't get Beatty either.

I understand the "one actor is lead, one is supporting" in a situation like the one Firth and Rush are in. But since Steinfeld appears to be the only woman with a major part in True Grit, and therefore not competing with any other actress in her film, it's a little harder to grasp the reasoning.
  19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh, he was beautiful back in the day, but I never thought of him as much of an actor. To his credit, he did get the role of the gigolo in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone by cruising Tennessee Williams in a bar...although Williams was a horny drunk who would have shagged the test pattern on his TV.
  20. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

While she was certainly the lead role in the film, I believe the studio purposefully campaigned her for Supporting in belief that the category would be less competitive.

I find it interesting, and perhaps telling, that we get 10 Best Picture nominees but still only 5 Directing nominees; those nominated for Best Picture and not Directing surely have the least chance. Reminds me of Whoopi's Moulin Rouge comment.
  21. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

James Franco continues to :rofl: me. The day before he hosts his first Oscar ceremony(/ attends his first Oscars as Lead Actor nominee), he'll have returned to his scene-chewing serial killer role at General Hospital.

And, oh, he hopes to be hosting the Daytime Emmys a couple of months after said Oscars. :lol:

Franco 1 / ego 0
  22. Artemis@BC

The other unwritten rule seems to be that child actors will be more likely nominated in supporting categories, no matter how "lead" their roles are.
  23. Artemis@BC

OMG, he might wear a kilt to the awards? I :swoon: at the very thought of it!
  24. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Was Despicable Me last year?

I've seen 5 of the 10 best picture noms (working on the rest) and so far I do like Black Swan the best. I enjoyed the social network but I think it was sort of more a great story than a great movie. I understand that a lot of people didn't like Black Swan, though. I loved Inception, but it isn't the kind of movie that wins. I still need to see King's Speech.
  25. Artemis@BC

It was 2010, but I'm glad it wasn't nominated. It was pretty lame IMO, certainly by comparison to the other noms, and it devalues the category if they nominate a film just because it "fits."
  26. Wyliefan

The characters in Despicable Me were cute -- especially the minions! -- but it had no real story to speak of. It was all right to sit through once, but I wouldn't bother seeing it again.
  27. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I honestly think Bening would have won (deservedly!) for American Beauty but she was up against Hilary Swank for Boys Don't Cry, and that one was a lock. 1999 was a very competitive year in all the major categories, unfortunately for the also-rans.

And the fact that Renee Zellweger has an Oscar for anything is :scream:

:eek: I LOVE Despicable Me!!!! :eek:
  28. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Did you see Cold Mountain? She saved that movie!!!
  29. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

:lol: I'd love to know what he was thinking when he signed up to do a soap - and then really enjoys it! Great to see some actors aren't total snobs.

Bummed for Andrew Garfield, not that surprised that Mila Kunis didn't get nominated. Her part wasn't all that much. Then again, neither was Amy Adams's, though I did highly enjoy her swear-word-laden intercom fight with Christian Bale's character. I'm rooting for Melissa Leo.
  30. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

May I join you down there?

:swoon:

Javier in a tux and Colin in a Kilt!!! (I'm of direct Scottish ancestry, so... :D ) I might not make through the Red Carpet Arrivals, forget the actual Awards. :D
  31. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I thought Bening should have been nominated for supporting role in American Beauty and she would have won. I did not feel it was a strong enough lead role to compete against Hillary's BDC role, which was practically unbeatable. I think another time Bening was up against another unbeatable role by Hillary (Million dollar baby).

I think Natalie's role this year is unbeatable too, and it will keep Bening from winning the Oscar yet again.

In order for Bening to win the Oscar she will need to play a flawed character, like mental or physical problem. Usually those types win the Oscar. I am not saying the actors did not deserve the awards; it's just that it somehow gets higher recognition.

P.S. Talking of supporting role, how did Hailee (True Grit) get nominated for supporting role when she is the main character in the movie? I will be quite upset if she wins the Oscar because of this.
  32. Michalle

Michalle New Member

Wasn't Melissa Leo fired from BOTH The Young Riders and Homicide for not being "hot" enough? First of all, she was totally hot in Homicide (didn't like how they dressed her in The Young Riders though) and also, she was as awesome then as she is now. I hope the morons who made those decisions feel like total idiots now that she's picked up Oscar Nomination #2...
  33. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks True Grit was overrated and did not really deserve that many (10) nominations? I disagree with the best pic and best lead actor noms. Bridges did fine, but I did not feel it was really one of the best roles, unless he is getting recognized for playing a role previously played by John Wayne.

BTW it was nice to see Winter's Bone and Kids are all right get the recognition with 4 noms each. Usually the artsy films are ignored. I am happy that there are 10 BP nominations since last year.
  34. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I saw Rush's role as supporting in the King's speech. The main character was very clearly Firth's. I don't think it should even be open to a debate. Rush was very very good, but I think Christian Bale had the best supporting actor performance this year in The Fighter.

About more than one lead in a movie, yes it is possible. IIRC in Thelma & Louise both actresses were nominated for the lead actress Oscar (and neither won, probably because the votes got split).
  35. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

ITA, Rush's role was supporting in every way. After seeing The Fighter, Christian Bale is as much of a lock as you can get. Phenomenal performance.
  36. Wyliefan

That would be my guess too. Natalie has gotten so much buzz for that role.
  37. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I thought Million Dollar Baby was overrated and awful. Anybody should have been able to beat Swank, but I think the Academy went with the 'safe' choice because the field was so loaded. As big a wuzrobbed as Bening was for Being Julia, there was also Imelda Staunton for Vera Drake and the girl who was Maria in Maria Full of Grace. Apologies to the fifth nominee; I don't remember who that was. In any case, this particular field was very strong.
  38. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I would have liked to have seen Nolan get a nomination. I also would have liked for The Town to have sneaked in to the Best Picture top ten list.

I don't think Annette Benning's performance was Oscar-worthy and I think might have had even less of a chance in the supporting category, which is a very strong category this year.

Rush was fabulous, but Christian Bale was even better.

I'm rooting for Colin Firth all the way -- kilt or no kilt. :lol:
  39. Artemis@BC

Shall we pray for a strong wind that night?
  40. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I can't believe Nolan wasn't nominated :blah:

I've seen more Best Picture noms than I usually have...Inception, The Kids Are All Right, Black Swan, The Social Network and Toy Story 3. I still need to see The King's Speech. I liked Inception and Black Swan both very much. I doubt either will win, though.

And count me as a Despicable Me hater. Ugh, boring, pointless and soooo annoying. :p