Academic article: "Does [CoP Judging] Transparency Reduce Favoritism & Corruption?"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 21, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

The Ideas section in the Boston Globe (under the headline of "Figure skating: more corrupt than ever?") cited a new article in a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Sports Economics by Eric Zitzewitz titled "Does Transparency Reduce Favoritism and Corruption? Evidence From the Reform of Figure Skating Judging"
    Excerpt from the Boston Globe article:
    If anyone is able to read the entire article, I would be interested to hear a summary of the evidence.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

3. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Conclusion:

4. agalisgv

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I found the abstract here: http://jse.sagepub.com/content/early/recent

Does the online version say in which forthcoming issue this article will appear? Thanks for quoting the conclusion.

6. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

The article was made available online on May 2, 2012 to those with access to the journal's OnlineFirst service.
    The article appears to be waiting to be assigned to an issue of the journal. No date is given that I can find.

7. caseyedwards

Maybe he updated it from the version available by Dartmouth.

8. agalisgv

From a brief skim, I couldn't see any updates.

It isn't unusual for articles to take a couple years or more to be published in an academic journal. So this one may just be in the hopper awaiting a future publication date.

It is unusual, however, to have the same article published elsewhere prior to it appearing in a peer-reviewed journal (I assume this journal is peer-reviewed). Generally prior publication is a disqualifier for academic journals.

9. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Not if it's just a working paper someone has up on their personal/university website. There's also a working paper version of it here.

The articles in the current issue of JSE were available online about a year ago, so that's the time frame - but really the only difference is that the published version will have a volume and issue as well as page numbers. I have access to the formatted article through my university's subscription, but I haven't checked to see what's changed from the Dartmouth version, which might have undergone some revisions before being accepted (although it's not a very highly ranked journal, so maybe not).

While I was Googling it, this came up... :slinkaway

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  11. caseyedwards

It is interesting how the corridor vanished for Plushenko! It was based on things he said and then spread by one of the most influential people in judging and would lead to the corridor being abandoned basically for Plushenko only. It was in effect for like all the other skaters but his big mouth ruined the corridor for him!! Going from 5's to 9's! One of the reason why it is always smart to talk like Lysacek.