About Gracie Gold - Phil Hersh

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Dec 21, 2011.

1. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I can't spell or pronounce the names of any of the Russian "wonder babies." At this point, I can't tell them apart. All I know is when I see one, I'm not overwhelmed.

None of that means they're not indivudually and as a unit great, or that they won't have outstanding careers, or that I won't develop nicknames for them, once I can tell them apart.

Gracie Gold is a very promising junior skater who had a fantastic junior season. She also has the best name of any upandcoming athlete in the sport. It's short, easy to spell, easy to remember, and very catchy.

Gracie Gold's name isn't going to guarantee her a successful skating career. But if she does have a successful skating career, her name is going to guarantee her a lot of publicity and attention.

Names make a difference, almost as much as nationality or physical appearance.

2. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yes and this is exactly who Mr. Hersh was vehemently promoting last year at this time...

He is so fickle and fair-weather it turns the stomach.......

3. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I don't know if Hersh is that fickle. He has his favorites for sure. In Alissa's tumultuous ten years as a senior skater he has defended and promoted her relentlessly - never once telling her to quit school and focus on skating even when she zambonied all over the place. Meanwhile, he's done nothing but criticize Caroline Zhang for years and when she had her nice comeback last month, he barely acknowledged it. Seems to me, like Christine Brennan, he has trouble remaining objective, That said, I do recall his saying Mirai would win gold in 2012.:shuffle:

4. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I think Hersh was fond of Alissa because she'd always make time to talk to him and it seems like they go along very well.

5. demetriosj

6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

She did a combination of on campus and online courses for college.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

She is also not very hard on the eyes.

8. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

is her name actually Gracie, or will she be replacing Kimmie as the new whipping post for pissy fans?

9. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Word. He claimed Emily Hughes went out of her way to talk to him and ask about his daughter. It didn't stop him from writing a column calling for her to attend Harvard full time. Alissa has always gotten a free pass when she bombs and I suspect it's because she's so pretty. I also suspect he'd be a lot harder on Mirai by now were it not for his silly prediction that she'd win in 2012.

10. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Meissner didn't had much other than her jumps and her 3A attemps

Gracie has finer lines and her technique is probably one of the best
    in the current us ladies field including all the seniors, her superior jumps you can see even before she sets in the air she will go high.
    Agnes, didn't had this much nor any of the
    the so called comparable to Gold.I don't know why some are hesitant
    but she proved her worth in JGP and at nationals

Gracie is the future of us ladies skating, she is the real deal
    imo I don't think there will be anyone that has come close to her atm
    and she needs all the support she can get.

11. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I think that some of Phil's not talking about Courtney Hicks is that she may not be doing very well. Flying out of Minneapolis into San Jose, Hannah Miller and her Mom were on my flight. After discussing her daughter, I asked Hannah's mother how Courtney was doing. Her response was, "Not well". Her tone stopped me from asking additional questions. It appears that Courtney needs some figurative and literal space to rest and heal.

12. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

(((Courtney))) I hope she can come back from this. What rotten luck. :(

13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I thought i read somewhere that Courtney was back on the ice.

14. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I just saw Gracie Gold juggling while being interviewed during the US Nationals gala. She's really good ;)

15. demetriosj

perhaps she can juggle while competing for extra points!

16. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

:(

17. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

In your opinion. I like Agnes. She moves well on the ice, is faster than Gracie and has a lot of spunk that comes out in her skating.

I like Gracie too. If I had to bet money on which juniors could successfully make the jump to seniors, I'd bet on her over the other junior ladies I saw at Nationals this year.

But I'm not going to start predicting she's the second coming of Ladies skating based on one good Nationals and one good season. I'm going to take a wait & see attitude.

And I think it's very wrong to discount all the other talent we have and act like only Gracie is going to come through for us and the rest of our Ladies skaters are utter crap. We've got Agnes and Ashley as well who are good competitors and have solid technical abilities and I'm not counting out Alyssa, Caroline or Mirai yet either.

18. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Well, after watching both Zawadzki and Gold at the gala- I prefer the former, think she has more fire & spunk in her skating.

19. demetriosj

Totally agree.

Some of the comments by members of her "team" border on trashtalk. It comes across as arrogant, braggadocious, and taunting. It's ok to be proud of your skater, of course, but not at the expense of putting down everyone else.

Yes, winning Junior was a major accomplishment, but let's try a little humility.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't USFS also sending 2 other ladies to compete at Junior World's? What are they? "chopped liver"?!

20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Well, maybe it will fire everyone else up.

We could definitely use a little push, that's for sure.

21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

No. They're seniors ;) Both skated in seniors the last 2 years at US Nationals. So far, they have shown solid skills, but based on their current results, have yet to show the ability to challenge the Russian juniors.

And neither has Gracie, yet.

Vanessa Lam (7th last year, 9th this year in US Seniors) and Christina Gao (4th last year at Jr Worlds, 5th last year in US Seniors, and 5th in US seniors the year before). Vanessa skated the JGP this year and finished 5th at the JGPF.

However, the overhyping in the past of Lam and Gao is a warning for those supporting Gracie. Sometimes it is better to wait for results before proclaiming victory. You can wind up being compared to chopped liver if the results don't materialize.

22. MacMadame

The comments made on FSU are not even remotely those of her actual team.

23. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I assumed that by "team" demetriosj meant the uber fans posting about her, not her coaches/parents, etc... The quotation marks being the clue.

24. demetriosj

actually, I did mean some of the comments put out there by members of her coaching team in interviews after she won Junior...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  25. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Then you shouldn't have used the quotation marks. That made it seem like you were being sarcastic.

26. demetriosj

sorry for the confusion

27. MacMadame

I haven't seen anything said by her team that was remotely as you describe. I have seen articles that said stupid things but if you look at the article, it's usually not her team being quoted, but the author speculating.

The most ambitious things she or her team have said is that, if she continues to skate how she's been skating, she'll be in the mix for Sochi. And I don't think they've even said it that definitively.

Since this is true... if she keeps going how she's been going, she'll definitely be in the mix... I don't have any issue with it.

28. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed. Very nice jumps, but I wasn't blown away by them. She skates very fast and goes into her jumps with lots of speed, gets good height, then lands practically at a standstill. That's not the best technique (indicative of a skater jumping up but not out), and it may make combinations troublesome.

I was also unimpressed by the choreography of her programs. Nothing but crossovers and a few basic steps that even I could do. She skated right through the music. Pretty arms, but she has breaks in posture and the long limbs can look a little Gumby-loose.

The PCS scores she got in Juniors don't surprise me - big-time jumps can pump up PCS scores like nothing else. Many judges try to get their technical marks and their presentation marks somewhat close, because it's strange to have an insane disparity unless a skater is really, really bad at one and really, really fantastic at the other. I've tracked tech vs PCS scores at big events, and they're almost always in line with each other or very, very close.

The talent and potential is there. She just has to refine it for Seniors. If she doesn't, and her jumps fail her, right now there's very little left.

29. demetriosj

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

If you are referring to this IceNetwork article on the Junior Ladies FS, the exact quote was:
    (Snark: I think having three active GG threads -- 2 in GSD, 1 in the Trash Can -- is a bit much. :shuffle:)