About Gracie Gold - Phil Hersh

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Dec 21, 2011.

1. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

But we're talking about GOLD. Clearly, by the fall season, she'll have a consistent 4A/3A combo! How could you ever doubt her!! :yikes:

2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

^
    why not ? imo if Ando was more than capable of doing a quad
    then Gold, imo who I think has a superior jumping technique
    cant get any new combo for the ladies or a quad for that matter
    less alone a 3A

but Gracie is done with her growth spurt !
    I think someone mentioned before she had a growth spurt two seasons ago.
    I think Gracie just needs polishing other than that, she has it all.

I would bet she would beat any of Ahley, Alissa, Caroline by a huge margin
    if they really pursued Gracie going seniors.

3. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

How do u know she is done growing? LOL.

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Maybe. I taught high school for 16 years and saw more than one girl have another one at 16 or 17. Not too mention that a lot of girls fill out with more curves around 17-19. She may be done with all of that, but there is no guarantee.

Can't we just be happy if she can do consistent 3/3s as a senior and not shoot for the moon??? :rolleyes:

5. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

THIS!

I feel terrible for Gracie and all the young talented Russian ladies, because they must feel quite burdened by fan and federation expectations.

6. bek

bek Guest

My being skeptical is not about Gracie's talent. She is talented enough to maybe get that jump. I'm being skeptical because from what I've read it took someone like Ito years to perfect that jump.

The issue isn't just the talent to do the jumps but how dangerous those jumps are; and how working on them practicing them can lead to injuries. Look what happened with Daisuke; he fell on the triple axel and he was out for an entire season. And he's frankly never been the same jump wise; its likely why he didn't win the Olympics. And Daisuke had a great triple axel and KNEW how to do that jump.

I can't imagine how much practice it would take to go from a triple axel in harness to a triple axel competition, and that frankly scares me. That's why Midori taking her time to perfect that jump, made sense. Its why Elizaveta not putting all of her effort into that jump makes sense. Mishin is being responsible by having her work on it a bit at a time; while having her work on her other jumps. That's responsible coaching.

it may be why Miki (who is an extremely talented jumper) never got that quad consistent. Miki had a long career; even without that quad and two world titles. If she had put all her effort into the quad; maybe not.

Gracie may not even need that triple axel to win. I'm fine with her working on it, but to be quite frank the triple axel alone won't make her a champion; there are other stuff she should be working on. And I hope that they aren't really planning on pushing it THAT much. For own health. I'm hoping WILL try means in practice (and maybe go from there)

Lots of coaches talk up things. I remember Tarasova saying Adelina would try quads, Mao would :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
  7. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Non! We must have at least one junior to dump all of our impossible and often ridiculous expectations on!

peibeck and (deleted member) like this.
  8. feraina

feraina Active Member

It's good that Gracie is shouldering all the hype right now. All the seniors, including Ashley, can just fly under the radar and not feel too pressured. :p

9. bek

bek Guest

:lol: I think its perfectly fine to be excited about young talent. But it really isn't fair to say for sure this junior will win/won't. It was disappointing for Kim/Asada that they couldn't go in 2006 but there's no telling either would stand up to the Olympic pressure and actually win. Neither won Worlds a year later.

To say Gracie would for sure win Nationals is a bit much because who knows how she'll handle the senior pressure. I do agree she's a big talent and I'm glad we in the US have someone to be excited about, but.

Still though its one thing to hype a junior but its another thing to be encouraging expectations that could actually shorten said jrs career. I.e a quad/3axel by next year.:(

10. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Yes. I think most people think she's very talented.

No. You will definitely not be getting most people to agree to that.

11. love_skate2011

^
    I think some are still hesitant , I maybe wrong but the future is bright for Gracie, I understand some of the other seniors us ladies skaters might be very threatened by Gold's superior technique and abilities. but I for one do not doubt Gracie would have eaten Caroline,Ashley,Alissa,Agnes and any us senior by by a huge score gap had she really pursued senior.

and that is why the us skating fed made it clear to the seniors to step it up !

hype is ok, as long as they can deliver
    and Gracie has the goods.

12. query5

query5 New Member

yes gracie skated well, her score was high.
    however i think they graded her according to junior standards of skating not senior standards of skating. (pc)wise

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Lower than she deserved? Because that's how junior PCS usually works ;)

14. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Well there was one judge who was scoring her with high 7s and even some 8s. :eek: Several other judges were scoring her in mid-low 7s as well.

We don't normally see that in juniors.

15. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I doubt it. I think her skate that won Jr. Ladies would have come in around 4-6 place. So better than Rachael and Mirai put out here, but on par with Zhang & Gao. Even if you take her raw score from Nationals and assume that everyone skates exactly the same and is scored exactly the same, she only comes in 3rd and doesn't beat everyone by a large gap.

But what is more likely to have happened is that inexperience would have caused her to make more mistakes and she'd have gotten a lower score. Staying in Juniors this year was a really smart move on her part and I think it sets her up nicely for next year in a way that jumping to Seniors would not.

16. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

She is powerful and very talented but she needs refinement, i.e. what to do with her arms, more stretched positions in spins and overall. But she has an awesome foundation. IMO, at this point, she is not particularly musical yet.

17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Gracie is a lot like Agnes when Agnes won the Jr. Title at US Nats, and while Agnes has done well for herself and is still one of the top up-and-comers, she didn't exactly take the senior international skating world by storm either. The pressure didn't seem to get to her at domestic junior competitions or JW that season, but once she made the jump to the big leagues, she was not nearly as consistent. Gracie is good but I'm not convinced she's going to dominate internationally right off the bat, especially with this crazy deep field!

18. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ and yet you were one of the biggest hypers of Zawadzki and Gao. (Go figure!)

Anyway, I think US skating fans are accustomed to early peaking because that's the pattern most of our successful skaters seemed to have followed, at least recently. Quick to hype up the Next Great One and when she doesn't fulfill expectations the very next season, toss her out and then look to the next youngster. And at the same time, we wonder, where did Czisny come from? Where did Zhang come from? Nagasu is the latest victim here, showing signs of being in a slump and tons of people are now writing her off. Have we learned anything from the past 2 years?

19. love_skate2011

:rofl:

in fairness, Gold is far better than Agnes, Agnes didn't had much to offer other than jumps. Gold will probably be the most successful us skater in this decade.
    she has a chance of winning all the us senior nationals consecutively once she makes a transition, even more successful than Alissa, imo

20. bek

bek Guest

I don't think Nagasu is the same situation though. Nagasu won nationals at 14 but since turning senior has made only one world team. She was fourth in the world, won the Worlds Short program; and now is back to not making the US team for two years straight. I think its more than fair to think Nagasu's results are disappointing. Mirai's success wasn't just Juniors success. And I think she's on more of a slump. But of course she could pull it together.

We've yet to see some of those juniors at the senior level.

I actually think Gracie is the one who doesn't have much to offer besides jumps although she does skate with speed/power so reportedly does Agnes.

I think Agnes is by far the more stylish skater AND the better spinner. This being said Agnes is quite inconsistent. In terms of Gracie who knows how she'll react to Seniors pressure... All this being said Gracie is younger so can develop style.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't think Gracie is that much younger than Agnes who is just 17. They both have time to develop.

22. bek

bek Guest

Well of course they do but I was a little huh? at Agnes doesn't have much besides jumps but Gracie does.

23. Gracie4Gold

Gracie4Gold New Member

Gracie is our hope for Sochi!That's for sure..I believe in her

24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'll wait for her South Korea :slinkaway

25. Gracie4Gold

Gracie4Gold New Member

Why?She is a complete package..

26. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Oh God, I haven't even seen much from this girl yet, but already sick of all the hype around her. No idea how she will handle all the pressure and expectations at JW where all three young Russians will compete, and later in seniors

27. bek

bek Guest

I love how people forget about Hicks for example.

28. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

That's how I feel about the Russian wonder babies. :shuffle:

29. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Russian wonder babies have competed a lot internationally... the least among them is Julia with 3 ISU event... since there were far too many of these wonder babies, the attention was spread among the girls. Gracie's single performance at a JGP event was enough for Hersh to write an article on her declaring her as the next best thing...I think hype Gracie is getting is much higher than all the wonder babies put together.

I am not saying she won't succeed but this is a whole new level of hype.

30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Gold certainly looks like she has sound jumping techniques, and they're impressive; However, the non-jump aspect of her skating isn't that impressive yet. For now it reminds me of someone like Kimmie Meissner.