ABC's "Happy Town"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by genevieve, May 3, 2010.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Anyone watch the premiere of this show last week? I forgot to, but I just watched on hulu. The ads have been relelntless and a bit annoying, but I was hoping this could be this year's "Harper's Island", with perhaps a less corny ending. I was surprised to find that it is a really good show...sadly, good in the vein of a zillion other shows I've followed in ABC's 10pm Wednesday slot that always get canceled too soon, but for now, I'll be watching.

The show was created by the team that did "October Road" a few years ago - it was a really understated show that I think I may have been the only person watching. One of the main actors from that show is on this one, plus Steven Weber, Amy Acker (that alone would get me to watch), the impeccable Sam Neill, Jerry from ER (Abraham Benrubi), and.... Tom Friendly from LOST! The actor, MC Gainey, is such a chameleon I didn't recognize him, but his voice is so distinctive. it was driving me nuts who he was until about halfway through the ep when I placed him.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I watched and liked it but not quite sure that I am in love with it yet. It might be a little too quirky for me, but I will watch it again. :)

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I liked it.
    I loved the sun streaming through the hole in the guys skull in the ice house.

4. genevieve

me too :lol:

5. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I watched and will probably tune in again. Is this a limited series like Harper's Island?

I was a bit surprised how quickly the show turned dark and violent. I was expecting a bit more of the happy in Happy Town to start. :lol:

6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:eek:

Did you mean to add an ;) add the end of this comment? You usually have such good taste!!!

I found this show to be so over-acted, but I think that's because the script is so sh***y that the actors are doing anything they can to salvage it. And obviously the director took VERY long coffee breaks and let the actors do whatever they wanted.

The sheriff's son is cute though... :swoon:

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  7. genevieve

No, I was serious! Of course, as I said, I was expecting it to be like Harper's Island, which was the epitome of cheezy tv horror. it could be that the brilliance of the show come through in the comparison ;) There were a couple of moments that were a bit schlocky and some lines that made me cringe, but I chose to find the boarding house of widows charming, and the whole sheriff channeling his inner Chloe was creepy enough to make me want to come back and learn more.

8. my little pony

not to mention
    Chloe's tattoo matching the grafitti in town

Peter's just peeing on our fun in order to get us to watch some documentary on Ottawa instead

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

OMG...isn't it GREAT??????????????????? :rofl:

10. my little pony

it's ok but how long do I have to watch before someone gets killed?

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm sure I'd off you before the opening credits are over.

:kisses:

:p

12. genevieve

PeterG, do not resist. You know you will have to watch Happy Town now, if only to disagree with mlp and me all spring/summer.

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol:

Now I'm considering watching episode two... If only they had filmed in the summer when we could see the sherriff's son in some skimpy swim trunks! :D

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  14. my little pony

doesnt all the icy tundra remind you of home?

judgejudy27 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. my little pony

how did Georgia get to Larry, Darryl and Darryl's living room?

16. jeffisjeff

Was the cop at the end (the one sent in to help) the same guy who was in the hospital cafeteria with the cream?

17. my little pony

if the guy who owns the pizza store found out from the guy in the ice house where all the bodies are, what is he waiting for? was he going to tell anyone?

18. genevieve

Now THIS is more of what I was expecting :lol:

Awesome heaping scoops of fromage! with a rather fascinating mystery (or two) festering underneath...

- Sheriff Mr Tom Friendly is still channeling truly creepy Chloe vibes, which was a tad more impressive last week when he wasn't pumped full of drugs and adrenaline that could explain away his delusions. Still, the shit he's coming out with makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Maybe because I'm expecting him to bust out with "See, we're gonna have to take the boy" or invoke ol' Smokey.

- I want to build a permanent ice rink in my back yard.

- Love the weirdness between Hedley/Chloe and Sam Neill, and love that he seems to know what she's up to and is helping her for reasons unknown and I don't know if she even realizes it, but that whole key replacement was pure Schlock :cheer2: I suspect that PeterG will be pointing to this scene as proof that Happy Town sucks, but smart people will recognize this to be a pivotal scene in the series :respec:

- WHO THE HELL IS THAT GUY WHO DRUGGED GEORGIA?!? And more importantly, when TC and wife were eating at Big Dave's and Georgia was visiting Sheriff Surrogate Daddy, who was watching TC's daughter?!? Awesome job filming Georgia's creamer-induced freakout, I'm now dealing with residue flashbacks, thanks. Oh, and TC? Please tell me you will check the credentials of the dude who felt the need to say "I'm here to help" 12 times in the space of 10 seconds. Cause that's kind of a big clue that he's not who he says he is.

- Aw, Big Dave...good thing your BFF is now Interim Sheriff and won't haul your ass to jail. Until Snoopy McCreamerson finds out anyway. Love that he bothers to have this totally sekret room, but when it's discovered he turns into Hagrid and says "you weren't supposed to find that - D'OH!". And I'm with mlp...what are you waiting for with the super valuable info on where the hidden peeps are, hmmmmmmmm? hop to it, dude.

- Hedley/Chloe is boarding in a really really old house. I hope she slipped some sleeping pills in Mrs Boardinghouse's apertif, cause clanking around a top floor room with a bunch of birds squawking isn't very sekretive.

- OMG KAMIKAZE BIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This show is so awesome :cool:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I forgot this was on. LOL

20. genevieve

21. my little pony

we jinxed it by tossing around Harper's Island references

22. jeffisjeff

Will we get any closure? :drama:

23. my little pony

so Jerry from ER gets away with murder but Andrew needs to do community service for getting knifed in his side?

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The kid is a brat but to press charges against him but let his friend walk on a murder charge?!

25. genevieve

I think Andrew is a brat on a par with Tyler from V, so I'm cool with Tommy's warped sense of justice and application of the law. Then again, I was so busy laughing over Greggy's smoooooooth transition from savior of car crash victim to afternoon delight that I wasn't paying that much attention.

Gotta admit, having Rachel disappear instead of the more predictable Emma was a nice touch.

26. Gypsy

Gypsy Thunder & Lightning!!!

This just sucks. :mad:

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Y'all shoulda bailed on this with me after episode one. :p

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  28. genevieve

You should have watched it so it would still be on the air for us :drama:

:p

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. genevieve

Looks like ABC is burning off the remaining eps of Happy Town starting tonight.

30. my little pony

didnt you watch it last wk?