ABC's Annual "The Ten Commandments" Broadcast Is On!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

For those who like bombastic, historically inaccurate epics with bad acting and dialogue, this is for you.

I watch it almost every year....just to hear Debra Paget sing "Death Cometh to Me..."
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh wow, when my mom was alive, she never missed this! I used to watch parts of it with her, but it seemed so long. I always fell asleep before the giving of the 10 Commandments. Awww, I'd forgotten about those memories! Thanks Rex for reminding me. :D
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  3. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

One of my grandmom's annual favorites. Right up there with Sound of Music. :)
  4. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:D

Bombastic and inaccurate it may be, but watching TTC every Passover is tradition in our family :lol: .
  5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

yul brynner and charlton heston (before he found out who his birth mother was) were really hot, i dont care how silly the parting of the red sea scene is
  6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Charlton Heston and an impressive chest, I'll say that much.
  7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Agree. (When the Apes in Planet of the Apes had him in chain and stripped him off his clothings .... :hat1: :lol: )

I used to watch bits and pieces of TC whenever it came on but could never stay awake long enough to see Moses receive the Ten Commandments.
  8. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

I was a teenager when I went to see this movie (for the first time) in a Movie Theater in Israel.
    It was in the mid 70's, so no wonder that my impression was "wow". The actors looked so hot, and the story... well, I - obviously - love the story of Exodus.
    I still remember how back then the entire audience was clapping for the parting of the Red Sea.
    Now, I teach the first graders about Passover, and they learn how to read in the Haggadah the four questions in Hebrew, but I think they (the first graders) prefer to watch the Rugrat's version of Exodus. ;)
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Ben Hur was on last night. :D
  10. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

We are watching it… :=)

a) We are all laughing that Brynner is actually part jewish and Heston is a goy…. :D.

b) I will always watch it…. I love the part when Moses chooses to stay a Jew rather than a Egyptian. Intuitively I did the same when I was 7 years old, back in Russia. My name is typical Russian not Jewish, and on the first day of school our new teacher took a role-call of students from the Student School register.

The register listed a name, an address, and “nationality” section (Russian, Georgian, Kazakh, Jewish, Latvian, etc) and each student when called had to verify the address and nationality. When the teacher called my name, and at the end stated “Tinami” – Russian, I jumped up and said “no, not Russian, but Jewish”. After all …why would any normal pragmatic kid would choose to belong to the tribe of “drunks and factory workers”, when in this kid’s surroundings the “other kind” are all engineers, doctors, scientists…. :D. Darn…. I am nothing less than Jewish even if I am only ¾ Jewish….

c) In this day and age … the hell will freeze over if some-one makes an epic movie about “Grate Jews”…… So I am watching the same old 10-coms year after year….. that and Exodus….. Few decades ago it was not politically incorrect to show Jews in good light”… :lol:
  11. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

It had been so many years since I've seen this (and poor remembering skills from religion class don't help me :shuffle:), explain the relations to me. And forgive the poor spelling please. :eek:

So Bethia is Moses adopted mother (she pulled him from the river and raised him). Correct?

Bethia is the King's (uhm, the bald guy, 'not' Yule Brenner) sister. Correct?

Nefarteri is the King's daughter. Correct?

Why does Moses refer to the King as his "father"? Just that he was raised by him with Bethia?

How does Ramses fit into this? He refered to the King as his father? And Moses as his brother? But wouldn't that make him and Nefarteri brother/sister? And Moses/Nefarteri are cousins (although not by blood since Bethia was not his real mother)?

Am I way to concerned about any of this? :rofl: But really ... I wanna know.
  12. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I hope I am right.
  13. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

do'op. I get it now. I always thought Nefateri was the King's daugther! Now it all makes sense to me! :cheer2:
  14. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Still love this movie. I'm so glad it's on later during the week of Passover. There were a few years when ABC showed it either on the first or second Seder night.
  15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Rex, I have a new favorite moment - Bithia's handmaids at the water's edge. Those costumes! Essentially pure 50s form-fitting bathing suits with a little draping to make them into handmaid attire. From now on whenever I see that scene all I am going to see is white 50s bathing suits.

Still love Nina Foch though.
  16. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

When I first saw TTC as a little girl, I was traumatized by the Angel of Death coming across the sky and around the town like a green skeleton hand-or so it seemed at the time. Scared me to death. I think I was 7. I also got a terrible earache because the sound was too loud, and I had chronic earaches all year.

But the movie is definitely worth watching.
  17. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I actually have a relative in this movie, appropriately from my paternal grandfather's side of the family (they are all Sephardic Jews). My father used to watch this movie every single year (and more once he got it on VHS/DVD) because he was trying to track down this relative in the actual film footage, because it isn't a large part, although he is listed in the credits.
  18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

LOL, it looked like they could do double duty in an Esther Williams musical.
  19. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Considering Egyptian kings often married their sisters, I thought the same thing.
  20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I know; I kept waiting for the aquacade to swim up the Nile.

Joking aside, I can't stop myself from watching this whenever it's on. I do wish they hadn't chopped it up so badly with so many commercials and shortened scenes. Luckily I had DVRed it and was able to retain some sense of continuity and power by fast-forwarding through the ads. I swear there were more ads than movies and the overall viewing experience was lacking in the effect it should have had.
  21. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I know Moses' wife was truly pissed off when he went up the mountain a virile, young man and came down an old looking, white haired, beared man. ;)
  22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I'd heard that Independence Day was banned in KSA because a Jew saves the world. There is a lot of emphasis on Jeff Goldblum's character being Jewish in that movie.
  23. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

:rofl: I'd ban the movie just for Randy Quaid's bombastic Shatner style of acting.
  24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I thought he does a good drunk. Drunks aren't exactly subtle when...um...drunk.
  25. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Not surprised since pretty much all movies are banned in the kingdom. There are no cinemas that I know of.
  26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Wow.
  27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I may breakdown and get the DVD.
  28. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I missed it until the last 15 minutes! :( Bummer, my family and I always look forward to watching "Moses, Moses" as we've dubbed it. :lol:
  29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I've never seen it. Should I?
  30. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

No.
  31. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ Aw, IceAlisa. You've got to see it at least once, but maybe you'd do better if you rented it so you wouldn't have to put up with all the commercials.
  32. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yes, you should. And have an ample supply of crackers - 'cause there is plenty of cheese! :D
  33. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Well there is definately some kind of fungi involved anyway.