Abbott: I am the frontrunner

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Abbott: I am the frontrunner
    http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=505856.html
    This year I absolutely want to defend my title and I'm focusing on that a little more than I was last season. That will probably make it different, but I feel confident going into Nationals this year because I really do feel like I am the leading man in the U.S.

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Very nice comments about Alissa.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Uh oh, I hope the SkateGods don't smack him down for that one...

4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

If it makes him feel better. Whatever.

5. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I think it's still okay with the SG's since Sugar didn't declare Jeremy a shoo-in. :p

Whew, close call, though!

6. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

It sounds boastful, but he actually sounds really practical about it. Yeah, he will get some competition from Rippon and Mroz, but it won't be at the same level as if Lysacek or Weir were there.

IMHO, the only way he wouldn't be the front-runner as the 2-time defending national champion, is if Lysacek were there.

7. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I've actually been wondering all season how he will handle being "The Man" at this year's Nationals. Last season, despite being the defending champ, he was practically an afterthought with Evan and Johnny receiving so much of the spotlight. This year, he's it and if he doesn't win I think most will consider it a pretty significant upset. It's good that he seems to be looking at it as a positive thing, but he's not the greatest under pressure. I hope he can keep it together.

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I don't think it's a braggy statement. Based on the fact he's a two time champion and has the most experience coming in, I think he is the frontrunner. But as he points out, the competition gets better each year and he certainly doesn't act like it's a conclusion that he's going to win. The last few years, Evan and Johnny did get the most attention and neither will be competing this year. That's liikely to mean some extra media attention for Abbott, but I certainly don't think he's overlooking the other contenders.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Any champion will tell you that confidence is part of what it takes to keep winning. I like that fact that he's evidencing some real confidence and if it sounds, to some, just a little bit cocky well, that's not necessarily a bad thing for him. Yuka is doing her job.

PS Met him at a Disson event in November and what a lovely young man. Very gracious and humorous.

10. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Well, I hope Abbott skates like it. I love his long program this year and would like to see it performed at the highest level.

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Abbott for Three-Time Tweet of the Week Champion!!!

12. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I hope Jeremy brings it. More power to him.

13. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Only in figure skating do the fans all think "the skaters should say 'I am not worthy' and 'I don't deserve to win'" I am sure that's how Eli and/or Peyton Manning prepare for thier games. I am sure it's how LeBron and his posse prepare....

UH NO! Athletes show up to WIN and the good ones know it. Nothing wrong with that!

I think a lot of our skaters believe the "i am not worthy" line that's FSU says they should toe.. and it shows. If you go into an event going "well XYZ is SO much better then me" then it tends to be self-fufilling. (Ms Kwan milked that one for years IMHO. I love her skating, but she tended to 'intimidate' the new kids in her group just by being there resulting in some "sub par" skates. Some skaters were able to rise above it, but those were the same ones that got "trashed" for "confidence.. see Tara)

14. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Maybe he shouldn't focus more on winning this year considering how well he skated at Nationals last year when he wasn't thinking about winning. I just hope he doesn't make himself too nervous as the frontrunner.

15. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I just hope he changes that sp shirt, if he does he should be good to go :D. That shirt just makes his shoulders look so stiff. He's obviously the front runner since he won last year, so yeah he can say that.

16. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

My one reaction: Blech! :p

17. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I like Jeremy, but hope Adam wins :D....maybe this will help light a fire under Mr Rippon even more.

18. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

:lol:

19. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Go Jeremy! :cheer2:

20. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

I like this kind of confidence and control, but he can't say this and then step onto the ice looking scared crapless and about to throw-up. He needs to followup these statements by showing a command, presence, and confidence on the ice.

21. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

It would be kinda awesome if he did take the ice in a leather outfit, complete with whips and chains, looking smug and ready to dominate.
    :shuffle: :saint:

22. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

When I saw Jeremy this past fall he did not look scared, act scared or skate scared. I hope he brings it at US Nationals. Quietly.

But then, I hope they all bring it when it really counts.

23. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

:rofl:

24. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

It sounds a little bit cocky but if it helps give him confidence then that's probably a good thing.

I still hope Rippon wins though...I want Jeremy to save his best for Worlds.

25. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I have seen skaters look nervous but to this day I don't think I have ever seen a skater look green, pale, and ready to puke the way Jeremey did at the Olympics.

26. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Yes, he's the front-runner. But what good does it ever do to proclaim oneself the front-runner? At best, it creates expectations, and at worst, it comes across as immodest. Why not let others declare who the front-runner is? Besides, when you're actually in the mix, it can be hard to see things objectively as well. Although I was never really a fan of her skating, I thought Kristi Yamaguchi handled such matters very well. I don't believe she ever declared herself the front-runner. Of course, she would never count herself out or anything, but, at least publicly, she always came across as modest and level-headed. She never created expectations that might get the better of her.

27. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

My podium prediction is Abbott, Rippon, Mroz, Mahbanoozadeh. I don't expect a huge margin of victory, though.

28. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I'd rather see Mahbanoozadeh over Mroz. He was fabulous at Skate America and near-fabulous at Nebelhorn. Mroz was not fabulous at either of his events.

29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think it will be:

1. Abbott
    2. Rippon
    3. Mroz/Mahbanoozadeh/Dornbush

The top 2, if they skate to their potential, are easy to predict, but that third spot on the world team is hard to predict. All three of the above men have proven to be contenders.

30. casken

casken Well-Known Member

It's not like he got up one morning and said "I'm going to call a reporter and proclaim myself the front runner!" :lol:

It was a causal interview and he said something off the cuff that isn't really untrue or unreasonable.

This is just another case of a misleading and sensationalized title.