A Unwelcome Christmas Snake!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Dec 5, 2011.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

2. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Well, I'm officially freaked out now. :scream:

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:scream:

4. Civic

Civic New Member

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

If there can be songs about Christmas shoes and Christmas donkeys, there needs to be a song about the Christmas Snake.

6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I question the story - I heard the snake in the tree story years ago. Probably something like 20 years ago from a friend who knew a friend who knew a friend who had a snake in their tree. A tree cut down and brought into the house and 8 hours later the snake slithered out.

I didn't click on the video, but that would be easily staged if you really wanted to have a story.

7. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Maybe it was hibernating in the garage! :D

8. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Christmas Snake needs a Twitter like the Bronx Zoo Snake.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  9. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

That is a harmless corn snake. I have four pet corn snakes. They are non-poisonous. How it got into their tree, though, I can't tell you.
    PHP:

10. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Poor little guy! It made me proud the dad held the little, baby snake and petted it and allowed his kids to touch it gently. Good for him! Innocent, non-venomous snakes are part of our environment, and there's nothing scary about such a tiny little snake! That mother shrieking made me want to strangle her. Teach your kids to be terrified of something that's really scary, OK? If it freaks you out, keep your mouth shut. It isn't a baby timber rattler or a copperhead like I have all over my area. Poisonous....but in 16 years I've never seen but a few.

Now, show me a 10' black mamba coming at me, and I'll show you some hysteria! I wouldn't let the guy in the Florida petting zoo put the python around my neck for a photo, but my husband did it. Nice snake. Too big for me to do anything but stroke gently. And no, I really don't feel like an Everglades airboat ride these days. But please....things in perspective!

11. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Some people are terrified of snakes... Doesn't matter what kind.

And it's hard to control your reaction when you're scared.

aka_gerbil and (deleted member) like this.
  12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Thank you! I am so terrified of snakes. Big, hairy spiders don't bother me, but snakes make my skin crawl... :scream: :scream:

13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I had to laugh when they said it was an artificial tree stored in the garage. I also thought the snake was something they brought in from the outside when they got the tree.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

How did that guy know this was not a venomous snake and grabbed it with his bare hands? I'd be calling animal control.

15. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I think it was staged.

16. carrot

carrot Member

Maybe that guy had seen that type of snake before, or went online to check it out.

17. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm exactly the opposite... I think most snakes are quite cute :shuffle: but spiders make me :scream:.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

DH is like that. I showed him the video and he goes: "Cute snake!"

I don't think "snake" and "cute" belong in the same sentence. :scream:

19. mkats

mkats New Member

Once when I was little, my parents found a tiny garden snake in the basement (about the length and width of a pencil) and freaked out and killed it. I cried because I felt bad for the poor snake.

:shuffle:

20. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Ditto what nubka said--Thanks! Some of us are terrified of snakes--all snakes-- and cannot help our reactions. Playing self-psychologist here, but I think my fear of snakes might be phobia of snakes. I get freaked out even by pictures in books and on tv. :slinkaway

I'm not much better about mice and rats. Spiders I can handle though. Red wasps also kind of scare me, but that's only because I'm very allergic to them. :/

21. fluorescein

fluorescein New Member

We had a 6 foot corn snake living in our detached garage for a while. Every now and then we would see a smaller (3ft) one coiled around the top of the bird feeder. I never wanted to pet them, but they were cute and we felt bad when they disappeared. It doesn't surprise me though that someone who lives where corn snakes do would pick one up. They aren't shy about being seen, as snakes go, and they're pretty docile.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

When I was in summer camp, I found a baby rattler, already outfitted with the rattle and using it too. I don't think I've ever recovered. :scream:

23. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I was out at the Detroit Skating Club back in July and we were sitting outside. All of a sudden a bunch of women started screeming and it turned out a snake was in front of the front door. It was a little gardner snake. I tried to pick it up but it bit me. About a minute later Keiffer Hubbell comes running out and takes the snake away! I guess he has pet snakes.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

:yikes::scream: I would have reacted worse than the mother did. I have no issues with spiders, rats, bees or any other animal, but I'm *terrified* of snakes. I have no reason to be, I've never had a bad experience or even have any dangerous snakes where I live, yet if I'm out for a hike with my dogs and see even a tiny garter snake I freeze in fear, my heart pounds and I can barely breathe.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I had a weird snake experience in the East Bay, driving with hubby on some rural road when a snake that was colored in black and white stripes like this one decided to cross the road. We stopped, of course. I think I climbed as high as the seat would let me (yes, I knew it couldn't get me in the car, it's not entirely rational) while hubby was all: "Awww, pretty snake".

A snake with coloring that dramatic has to be venomous. I thought it escaped from somewhere like the Bronx Zoo cobra. But I think it's a kind of king snake which are, IIRC constrictors.

26. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I'm scared of all of them :yikes::scream:

I'm a big chicken :slinkaway

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Haha...no, King Snakes are not venomous. In fact, Wikipedia says "Kingsnakes are generally docile, curious and gentle." They make good pets. Yeah, right. But we have had many king snakes in our yards over the years. They're a good snake because they scare away the venomous snakes and also keep the rodent population down.

One day I went flying out the front door to get something our of the yard. I started to make a flying leap off the front porch, only about 18" high, when I looked down and saw that I was probably going to land on a very long black snake all happy sunning himself in my yard. Baryshnikov would have been proud of the mid-air contortions I went through to ensure I landed as far away as possible. It was a harmless black rat snake, but I really, really didn't want to land on him.....My husband, who collected snakes as a kid, came out and declared him a rat snake and PICKED HIM UP and carried him back into the woods so he'd be safe. My husband has also PICKED UP COPPERHEADS and taken them to safety because people will kill them in a heartbeat. He just knows how to do it. Copperheads are poisonous, but not always and usually only to dogs or small children-so you really don't want them around. I think his craziest rescue was shooing a baby timber rattler to the side of the road with a stick so nobody would run over it. Timber rattlers are incredibly deadly and babies are just as deadly as mom and dad.

28. Louise

Louise Banned Member

In my backyard growing up we found copperheads, water moccasins, and coral snakes. One night I was coming in and just barely missed stepping on a copperhead. I freaked out. I cannot deal with snakes. At all.

29. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I know what you mean! I spent my teenage years living out in the Arizona desert in a very isolated farming community. We never went out in the evening without a flashlight. Small, sidewinder rattlesnakes are poisonous, and blend in well even in the daylight. I learned to always watch the ground in front of me when walking. :yikes: :yikes:

30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

There are only 4 types of venomous snakes in the US depending on where you live. Only the deep south has all 4. They are also very distinctive. Everybody should learn what species are indigenous to their area and what they look like. Just to be safe.