A Serious Question about Carry-on Luggage

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I've been doing a lot of work travel lately and haven't had any problems with carry-on luggage. I have a roller suitcase that's just small enough to fit through the aisle and also just small enough to fit depth-wise in the overhead compartment of the larger planes (6 seats in a row). When I'm on a smaller plane (4 seats in a row), they just check my bag at the gate and I receive it on the jetway rather than being stuck waiting at baggage claim (though when I travel, I generally try to find flights that don't involve regional jets so that I can avoid the smaller planes with less overhead bin space). I hate checking bags, not because of the extra cost (my company will cover it), but because: 1) I worry my luggage will get lost, 2) I hate wasting time to check the bag, and 3) I hate wasting time at baggage claim. Number one is my biggest concern because I don't have any non-stop flight options from my city to where I travel for work, therefore providing the airline an extra opportunity to lose my luggage at my transfer city.

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I will occasionally check bags to smaller airports. I try very hard not to check bags into Newark, where sometimes it can take up to an hour to get your bags after you land.

3. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

It's easy to judge when you're not in that situation. Posting things 20 000km isn't cheap, and when it's enough to be able to carry on your own stuff in a normal carry on rolling bag and a small backpack, without asking for help, when others carry a lot more, then I'll do that over paying $500 for one box any day.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

You're the one that used the word "defense" as though you recognized doing something wrong. If what you carried on was within the airline regs then shrug - no problem. I just don't like the argument that my circumstances are special.

5. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

It wasn't within airline regs. You're allowed one piece only, and I was over. But given that the restriction at that time was exactly half of what you could carry on US-EU flights which are half the length and cost, I don't know anyone who would have seriously called me out on it. '

Lots of people had more than I did, and they were going on holidays.

And I do feel that there are some circumstances where some people might need more luggage - not just that my circumstances were special. I think a few people have valid special circumstances. I find it bizzare that you have the same restriction if you're ticket is a week long of a year long. Also, people with kids and babies often need to carry more stuff than the airlines will allow, and the fact that a laptop counts as your carry-on on many airlines is absurd.

I get annoyed when people such as the lady who went shopping in Singapore for the weekend try to get 4 15kg carry-ons on board and get all :drama: when they can't. That's ridiculous.

6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry - this seems to be a "my time is more important than anyone else's" attitude. I get it, people need to have their luggage with them, they need to save their precious time.

I suppose that it is because I didn't travel for business very often. But even when I am on a vacation trip and try to schedule my connecting flights for at least 45 - 120 or more minutes between flights there are still delays or other weather related issues that make getting a connecting flight several terminals away difficult to make. I even try to schedule an additional day off just because I might miss my connection and get stranded in another airport.

Even if I am sitting mid plane rows, it can take a very long time to get off the plane.

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

You've assumed that I abuse the airline's rules re: carry on luggage. I never said I did. What I said was that I check when I travel unless I travel into Newark, and then I try not to check.

Doesn't mean I pack huge. I pack light. You've made an incorrect assumption.

8. numbers123

You have made an assumption that I only object to overstuff carry ons. I object to carryons in overhead bins in general. Where someone holds up the deplaning because they have to get something out of the overhead, blocking everyone from getting off the planes.

I think I said in an post that we should get rid of the overhead bins, save enough room for O2 masks and essential airline equipment such as an AED. Would give those tall people more head space.

9. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

What kind of planes are you flying on :confused: Because you'd have to be 10 foot high to hit your head on those overhead lockers from your seat, and they don't overhang into the aisle.

Zero overhead luggage might work if you're flying for a couple of hours. Try flying for 24 straight and then see if you still think it's a good idea :p

10. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yes, Newark is rather slow at getting the bags up. What's strange is that they get the first load of bags up quickly, then you wait endlessly for the next ones. If yours are not in that first load, you wait forever.

However, in other ways I find Newark to be a very easy to navigate airport.

When the airlines stop losing luggage people might be more willing to not bring essentials on the plane with them. Not full suitcases, but a small regulation bag that you can get a few necessities in.

11. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Depends on the airline and how full the flight is, but *damn* the flight attendants/crew can crack down. Especially on the later-boarding passengers. Not that it's the late row passengers fault. The overhead bins are full with all the early boarders stuff!

When I've been in the unlucky, late boarding rows, even with a carry on bag that below the regulation size, I've twice had a flight attendant - right at the door of the plane - go, SORRY! we're gonna have to gate check. Bins are full. And they just grab that luggage and give me a receipt. (I do get to keep my bag, in which I've learned to carry one night of essentials.

There was no charge for gate checking the bag.

I know it's a safety issue, because people are crazed about over-carrying carry on luggage. If you have to exit the plane in the hurry, you'll be crawling over piles of suitcases that fly everywhere when the overhead compartments burst open.

but the reason people freak out and carry so much crap: the airlines lose luggage.

12. Lizziebeth

Lizziebeth garden freak

I visit my sister several times of year and usuallyfly to Manchester, NH, Portland ME and most recently Bangor ME. I bought a smaller bag and pack light. Just the bag that meets the size requirement and a purse. The reason I use carryon is because there are no direct flights and almost every time I change planes in Chicago, Detroit or Boston my bag doesn't make the trip. I'm only going for a short trip and I hate not getting my bag. For a few years I wasn't averaging 50%! I would file a claim and then they would deliver the bag to my sisters home the nest day - a 2-1/2hour drive from Manchester or about 2 hours from Portland. Talk about inefficient. It would really be annoying to pay Delta to check the bag and then not receive it!

13. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

On a recent trip, the flight attendants had to make an announcement about some special offer the airline had in conjunction with some bank. You know, sign up for the bank's credit card and get tons of miles, etc. Well, I wasn't paying close attention, but one of the things you got if you signed up was guaranteed zone 2 seating for some duration of time (missed the part about how long). Zone 2, they noted, is the first group seated (after first class), so you're guaranteed to find room for your carry ons. :lol:

14. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm one of those people who tends to over-pack. Part of this is because I don't travel much, so don't have a simple packing system in place. And a large part of it is because the weather is unpredictable in most places I've flown in recent years. For example, Winnipeg requires me to pack for three seasons and often I've packed wrong because I encounter the fourth - intense heat in April and snow in August (seriously).

The carry-on I took with me on a recent flight was larger than the dimensions specified by the airline. Not a lot, but a good few inches in two of the dimension. Airline staff didn't look twice at it and there was no issue with space in the overhead cabinets on that flight, which was full. Given that this is an airline which charges for checked bags and the flight was just a few hours, I'd expect that overheads to be crammed to capacity. If they were, it wasn't a problem. . .

I concluded that the specified dimensions for carry-on luggage are just guidelines, as opposed to rules.

15. cruisin

Again, that depends on the airline and the airport. I have been in airports in Europe, where they have these little square things (smaller than the x-ray belt opening) that your luggage has to fit through. If it doesn't you have to check it. In Barcelona it was at the security check point. Which was rather annoying, because if your carry-on didn't fit through this square, you had to bring it back to check-in and go through security again. Or maybe that is a good thin, you do that once, you won't again. It didn't effect us, ours were fine, but it holds security up. Especially when there are families with large carry-on pieces who feel that arguing with the security people will actually get them anywhere.:rolleyes:

16. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

Quite! Even the things you might need as absolute essentials, plus valuables that shouldn't be checked, for a 24 hour flight require more than a handbag. That's before adding a couple of very thick books (I can't sleep on planes and the movies are usually rubbish, so I need lots of reading matter). I completely agree that people often have too much carry on luggage, but you need at least a back pack for proper long haul (yes Jen, Europe to USA is definitely medium haul!).

17. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

And even if you travel light, with just a small handbag, you don't want to be storing it under the seat for that kind of flight. You really, REALLY need the leg room under the seat in front.

I generally take my valuables, a toothbrush and a book on the plane with me, and that's all. I rarely use anything other than the toothbrush and the book, but I don't want to risk losing things if my luggage goes astray.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I object to flight attendants having to double as restaurant workers. I think if there's any food or drink, we should carry it on ourselves and carry out our garbage.

But that would be as popular as eliminating the overhead bins, although doing both would give us the hands to carry our food and drink on and our garbage off.

19. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Actually, serving food and collecting the garbage is a huge part of flight attendants' jobs. What else do they do? It's not that hard to find your seat.

I have friends who are flight attendants and know it's not a very easy job, but seriously? Maybe on a very short flight, but on longer ones, there's no way your food suggestion would work.

20. jeffisjeff

A flight attendant's primary job is to ensure the safety of the passengers. Everything else is quite secondary.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Quite.

22. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That goes without saying.

They tend to disappear for hours on end during the flight though, so I often wonder if safetly is secondary at all times other than take off and landing.

23. jeffisjeff

Apparently. ;)

24. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

Yes, no way I'm trusting my laptop and camera to checked luggage. Same goes for medications, which I will both need on a lengthy flight and would also become an issue if my checked bags were delayed (which is really what I mean by essentials, along with wallet, passport and so on). I can get all of that, plus books, into a normal sized backpack which will easily fit into the overhead locker though - it doesn't go under my seat for exactly the reason Jen mentioned. You need the leg room on long haul, and the seats are close enough together to start with.

As for the food service, completely agree that food is non-essential on short flights. I always find it ridiculous on a 90 minute flight where the flight attendants have to get the meal out and then have to start clearing again as soon as the reach the end of the cabin. But again, it's impractical on long haul for people to bring all their own food (in a single carry on bag!). More importantly, everyone would have to bring huge bottles of water with them, and have somewhere to put it, as you need to stay well hydrated on a very long flights to help avoid dehydration and potential DVT. So that is actually a health and safety issue, or at the very least, an airline-avoiding-litigation issue!

Not saying the safety aspect (which must often seem to the attendants like saving stupid people from themselves) isn't indeed a very important, if not the most important, aspect of a flight attendants job, just that it's not always true to say that the food service is unnecessary.

25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

And just as well, since the pilots can't always be trusted with it :yikes:

Oh I agree that food is unecessary on short flights like that :)

I feel I've mentioned 24 hour flight too often already but...it's hard to say that food is unecessary on those :slinkaway: That said, they could easily do without a meal. They have to serve two per leg, for some reason, but if you're doing both legs from Europe to Australia, then you end up with one meal more than you want or can comfortably digest. And it's usually at 4am :scream:

26. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Haven't read the thread yet, but I have to say I just LOVE (sarcasm) those precious people that place their hat (cowboy or some other type) in the overhead bin. Are you kidding me? And then they get all pissy when someone wants to use the overhead bin to place a reasonable sized carry-on case and moves their hat sideways or on top of a piece of carry-on to maximize the space. Put it on your damn head or under your feet!

27. numbers123

I haven't been on any 90 minute flight that has meal service. Sodas maybe. In fact, I haven't been on a 3 or 4 hour flight that serves meals. You can "purchase" a box lunch from a vendor like TGFridays, but that is about it.

I will admit that I have taken carry ons at times, but could really do without. I have a largish size purse that I use to carry my medications and books. And I guess I have to say that I must have been most fortunate to never have my luggage lost.

28. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

On the airlines I fly with, a purse IS a carry on. So you do have a carry on then ;)

29. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

YES!
    Some idiot once started with my family because we moved his jacket that was in our overhead bin. :wall:

I say "our" because we had all of the seats in that half-row, and he was siting a row or so back and across the aisle. All we did was put his jacket on top of someone else's carry-on that was already in the bin (there was space) and kept it folded exactly like it was. Then, there was space in the bin for our things. He jumps out of his seat and is all pissy we moved his jacket. What? I don't think his jacket should take up the place of 2 carry-ons when it can easily be placed on top of them. :rolleyes:

30. cruisin

Agree that the primary job is to ensure safety. However, I also agree with kwanfan1818. If their job only comprised of passenger safety, they could get rid of half of the flight attendants. They don't need 7 or 8 on one plane if all they have to do is keep people safe. Flight attendants have always been saftey persons who were pretty much glorified waiters and waitresses. They get paid to serve food and beverages and in the event of a dangerous situation they are trained to keep calm and keep others calm.