A. Savchenko/R. Szolkowy: 10 amazing years

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Eislauffan, May 20, 2013.

1. beyoncerocks

beyoncerocks Member

They are an amazing team. Unfortunately in Sochi I think the best they can hope for is the silver medal. I hope they can get that and atleast upgrade their 2010 bronze.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Yes, but of course that doesn't mean S/S are not good enough to win gold, just that the politics are seemingly not in their favor. In terms of their innovation, accomplishments, and unique on-ice style and charisma, S/S are better than V/T. Both teams are on a par technically, but V/T have the edge politically re the location of the Games and the powerful hold the Russian balletic tradition has had over pairs skating.

3. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

I think the Russians have the technical edge right now. Throws and lifts are about equal. However the Russians have a way stronger twist, stronger jumps and spins with better unision and consistency, and nicer death spirals. The Russians should score higher on the first mark if both skate well. Not sure on the 2nd. I do agree the Germans if they skated clean and the Russians had a couple big mistakes, the Germans hould win, but the Russians will even then because of the Olympics in Russia and their momentum now as the dominant team. An Olympic Gold is not in the cards for Aliona and Robin sadly.

4. aftershocks

^^ We all know there are huge odds not in S/S favor, but never say never.

5. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

I hope the Germans can win in part since I think the Russians would be forced to stay in another 4 years if they didnt win and I would like to see them do that since I dont see any other potential strong leaders should both teams retire. I think the Germans are retiring either way, but I think the top Russians will only stay if they are upset for the gold.

6. aftershocks

^^ All the more reason it would be wonderful if Aliona and Robin could win Olympic gold. Too bad the Olympics are not being held in Germany next year! Have they ever been held there?

It would be enjoyable to see Tatiana and Maxim grow as a team for another four years. They have not been together that long.

7. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I doubt the Russian will be "foreced" to stay and don't forget the team event. If V/T decide to compete twice they could win two medals.

8. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

9. Eislauffan

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts. I agree that Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov (RUS) have the advantage of the support of their strong Federation as they are the only realistic gold medal hope in figure skating. The Russian Figure Skating is throwing everything they have behind them, understandably. Tatiana and Maxim are a great team, obviously. Aljona and Robin need to skate lights out if they want to have a chance to win. They know this. I believe in them and in their chance to win Olympic gold. :) Whatever happens, the most important thing is that it is a fair result and whoever wins, wins fair and square. We don't need any scandals.

10. Proustable

Proustable New Member

1936 Winter games were in Germany. Intriguingly, that was the last time a four-time World Champion pairs figure skating team was unable to win Olympic gold (Emília Rotter / László Szollás). They lost to the home team (Maxi Herber / Ernst Baier - who went on to win 4 world titles as well).

butyrskafanatic, I'd argue that S/S have better throws than V/T. But I'd also argue that V/T have better lifts (position especially) than S/S. S/S should win on the second mark.

11. aftershocks

I hope S/S win, period. :saint:

12. Eislauffan

Savchenko/Szolkowy are now on an exhibition tour in Asia. They first performed in Japan, then in Taipei and now they are in mainland China. Overall they are staying about four weeks in Asia.

13. AKA

AKA Member

I wish US teams would stay together this long.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Some have. Longevity is one of the keys to pairs success at the highest level but not the only one.

The Art on Ice, Japan show thread in GSD has videos of S/S (also photo links and translated articles): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...e-first-time&p=3936581&viewfull=1#post3936581

Artistry on Ice event thread in GSD has photos, etc.: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...0-14-amp-16)&p=3934589&viewfull=1#post3934589

15. aftershocks

^^ Thanks for the info on S/S, Eislauffan and Sylvia. :)

Yes, among them are Tai and Randy; Starbuck and Shelley; Evora/ Ladwig; Marissa and Simon, so far. There are other teams too, including Meno and Sand (once they found each other, albeit after splitting from their former partners).

Maybe now with what looks to be some improved and potentially very good partnerships formed among U.S. pairs, perhaps more of them will go the distance.

16. Eislauffan

17. vocal

vocal New Member

Happy 10th anniversary!

Favorite program? Hard to pick one. What I like most about S/S is their DIVERSE routines/styles and them not working with the "big names" in choreography (besides this year) but with Ingo and thus showing something different. One can sense that everything is perfectly matched for that particular pair. So thank the three of them for bringing so much creativity to the the sport.

If I have to pick a program: music-wise and costume-wise it is "Souvenir" and choreography-wise it is definitively "Pina". The most remarkable performance considering their today's rivalry is undoubtably the double pair skating of Aliona/Robin and Ingo/Tatiana @ Art on Ice 2009, Ingo replacing Tatiana's injured partner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBdR30pYik

Also I can remember vividly the German National Championships in 2004. I was at the rink primarily to watch the relatively new Danish-German couple. I can not recall their names. Had not heard of S/S by that time. Was expecting another exquisite skate by the Danish girl (like in Euro's 1 or 2 years prior to that when she skated singles for Denmark) but after just a few seconds of the warm-up and having seen S/S just stroking it was immediately clear that there is a great new couple and indisputable German champions.

So, you go Ukrainian girls, have a great battle next season eventually ending in an OGM for S/S.

18. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

You speak of Mikkeline Kierkgaard and Norman Jeschke. How can you forget the name? :D This could have been a great match too, shame she got injured that bad.

19. vocal

vocal New Member

You are absolutely right, Jeschke. And, yes, shame on me (I am more into singles). I guess you are related to Norman?!

20. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

:) No, I just hate to find good nicknames and in a skating forum i thought, maybe i should just take one of those wasted german talents ;)

21. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Agree. Kierkgaard was absolutely lovely.

22. vocal

vocal New Member

Especially her appearances in 2000s Euro's and World's were fabulous.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Wheee, Grand Prix Final GOLD medalists! :cheer:

British Eurosport videos:
    Short program
    Free skate

ETA these lovely comments from the other S/S thread:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  24. shah

shah Shhh...

I'm so delighted they won the GPF! It made my day :).

Wow, I've never seen it :eek:. Battle of the clones :p.

25. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What's also surprising to me is how well Ingo can still skate. That's a great number.

Congrats to S&S on their GPF gold. It was wonderful to see them skating their free looking so genuinely happy.

26. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

The GPF could have made three of the Olympic favourites - Davis/White, Volosozhar/Trankov, and Chan - virtual locks for Gold but know it seems as though there is definite competition with pairs and men and the ice dance event has tightened.