A. Savchenko/R. Szolkowy: 10 amazing years

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Eislauffan, May 20, 2013.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I hope S/S win, period. :saint:
  2. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Savchenko/Szolkowy are now on an exhibition tour in Asia. They first performed in Japan, then in Taipei and now they are in mainland China. Overall they are staying about four weeks in Asia.
  3. AKA

AKA Member

I wish US teams would stay together this long.
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Some have. Longevity is one of the keys to pairs success at the highest level but not the only one.

The Art on Ice, Japan show thread in GSD has videos of S/S (also photo links and translated articles): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...e-first-time&p=3936581&viewfull=1#post3936581

Artistry on Ice event thread in GSD has photos, etc.: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...0-14-amp-16)&p=3934589&viewfull=1#post3934589
  5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks for the info on S/S, Eislauffan and Sylvia. :)

Yes, among them are Tai and Randy; Starbuck and Shelley; Evora/ Ladwig; Marissa and Simon, so far. There are other teams too, including Meno and Sand (once they found each other, albeit after splitting from their former partners).

Maybe now with what looks to be some improved and potentially very good partnerships formed among U.S. pairs, perhaps more of them will go the distance.
  6. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

7. vocal

vocal New Member

Happy 10th anniversary!

Favorite program? Hard to pick one. What I like most about S/S is their DIVERSE routines/styles and them not working with the "big names" in choreography (besides this year) but with Ingo and thus showing something different. One can sense that everything is perfectly matched for that particular pair. So thank the three of them for bringing so much creativity to the the sport.

If I have to pick a program: music-wise and costume-wise it is "Souvenir" and choreography-wise it is definitively "Pina". The most remarkable performance considering their today's rivalry is undoubtably the double pair skating of Aliona/Robin and Ingo/Tatiana @ Art on Ice 2009, Ingo replacing Tatiana's injured partner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBdR30pYik

Also I can remember vividly the German National Championships in 2004. I was at the rink primarily to watch the relatively new Danish-German couple. I can not recall their names. Had not heard of S/S by that time. Was expecting another exquisite skate by the Danish girl (like in Euro's 1 or 2 years prior to that when she skated singles for Denmark) but after just a few seconds of the warm-up and having seen S/S just stroking it was immediately clear that there is a great new couple and indisputable German champions.

So, you go Ukrainian girls, have a great battle next season eventually ending in an OGM for S/S.
  8. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

You speak of Mikkeline Kierkgaard and Norman Jeschke. How can you forget the name? :D This could have been a great match too, shame she got injured that bad.
  9. vocal

vocal New Member

You are absolutely right, Jeschke. And, yes, shame on me (I am more into singles). I guess you are related to Norman?!
  10. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

:) No, I just hate to find good nicknames and in a skating forum i thought, maybe i should just take one of those wasted german talents ;)
  11. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Agree. Kierkgaard was absolutely lovely.
  12. vocal

vocal New Member

Especially her appearances in 2000s Euro's and World's were fabulous.
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Wheee, Grand Prix Final GOLD medalists! :cheer:

British Eurosport videos:
    Short program
    Free skate

ETA these lovely comments from the other S/S thread:
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  14. shah

shah Well-Known Member

I'm so delighted they won the GPF! It made my day :).

Wow, I've never seen it :eek:. Battle of the clones :p.
  15. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What's also surprising to me is how well Ingo can still skate. That's a great number.

Congrats to S&S on their GPF gold. It was wonderful to see them skating their free looking so genuinely happy.
  16. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

The GPF could have made three of the Olympic favourites - Davis/White, Volosozhar/Trankov, and Chan - virtual locks for Gold but know it seems as though there is definite competition with pairs and men and the ice dance event has tightened.