A real Trash Can Question if ever there was one!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Here's a real Trash Can/Silly question...but something that I find baffling:

Can anybody please explain the latest craze in some sectors (Russia & maybe also Japan?) for displaying banners of support at competitions in which the skaters depicted in the banners (a) are not skating at that event or (b) retired from eligible competitions...in some case, YEARS AGO!!!???

Yagudin & Plushy banners at 2011 Worlds, for example.

If this is the way to go then maybe I should work on a Dick Button or Peggy Fleming banner. :rofl:

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

I don't know why they do this! My husband and I were freaked out by some of the ENORMOUS Plushy heads in the stands.

3. Frau Muller

By the way, I've also seen them this season for Lambiel, Arakawa, and Anissina/Peizarat ("Allez, Marina & Gwendal")...well, they "allez'ed" a long time ago. LOL!

Not just a Russian thing, in other words. I'm getting to work on my "Allez, Peggy Fleming" banner soon.

4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I fully endorse your Peggy and Dick banners. I am designing my Sonja Hennie banners as we speak.

5. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Well while you guys are off wasting time on your Henie and Fleming banners, I'll be hanging my Ulrich Salchow banner!

6. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I'm glad there's going to be a Henie banner at future events. I was afraid of the conscience pangs attendant on covering some living skater's fan-made banner with my blindingly silver-glittered tribute to Cecilia Colledge.

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Cecilia Colledge! Sonja's figures were way better than Cecilia's! Her figures made me swoon. I will have to make my Sonja banner twice as big.

8. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Yeah, and Henie's double jumps were so much better than Colledge's...oh wait...

Fortunately, my "This competition is bullshit without Mabel Fairbanks" banner* will cover the excess yardage from the Henie thing.

* Sadly, there was a time when that would've been an excellent idea. I don't mean to make too much light of it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  9. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that I might not question this trend . . . until after I hang a Michelle Kwan banner up at 2012 US Nationals :D

10. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I'm no where near 70-100 years old and could not really know, so I just have to side with the Austrian judge from the 1936 Olympics, who tied them in both portions of the competition.

Figures: 253.9
    Freeskating: 172.5

Not even the British judge dared to do that.

. . . My Cecelia banner would be green to match the little green dress she would have preferred to wear during the freeskating, which is the portion I would have probably attended, the portion where the Swedish judge thought Cecelia was better :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  11. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

D*mn. I thought mine would be the only one. :lol:

12. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

So I'd be the only one with a Trixi Schuba banner?

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

This made me think that someone should do a banner for Vanessa Reilly, the ultimate British judge.

14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

MADGE SYERS!!! Two-time British champ among the men, a world silver skating against men, and two world titles and an OGM on her own in the ladies' division (plus Olympic bronze in pairs).

15. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I will supply the glitter.

16. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I will supply the Brian Boitano banners.

17. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Yes, you would be.

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I see your Trixi banner and raise you a Janet Lynn banner. And my Janet Lynn banner will jump all over your Trixi banner.

19. pumba

pumba New Member

Panin-Kolomenkin! :cheer2:

20. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I <3 Panin-Kolomenkin. His snail swirl figure was the dreamiest.

21. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

My Trixi banner would be SO-O-O far ahead of your banner by the time the LPs started that your banner would stand no chance!
    :D

22. monty

monty Active Member

Worlds and GP could be great fun next year if we have the Battle of the Banners. Previous competitions, such as the last Olympics, could be re-fought in the stands while the skaters stop their programs to watch the mayhem. Banner regulations would control size and sharpness of staff. World Banner Teams would be chosen.

Back to reality, I don't know if I would enjoy sitting near a banner-wielding fan. At the very least, it would be distracting and aggravating. At worst, it could be dangerous. One might have to buy insurance in the competition ticket package. Maybe I should go back to bed until sanity returns.

23. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

My Barbara Ann Scott banner is in the works.

24. misskarne

misskarne #408

Actually, something I did notice was that the banners in the OP (the Yagudin and Plushenko ones) were hung over the railings and not held up in the crowd, which is an excellent idea as it gets the banner seen, but doesn't impede anyone.

I'm glad to know I'm the only person working on a Kulik banner!

25. jcopper

jcopper New Member

I'm with you. :)

26. Mafke

Mafke New Member

No, you would not be.

27. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

My Trixi banner will feature perfectly traced paragraph loops. HA!

28. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Maybe because people made expensive banners years ago and want to get their money's worth? :lol:

29. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

My Hans Brinker banner will feature his "silver skates"

30. Frau Muller

Well, it seems that these wacky historical banners worked for Plushy...so maybe Dick Button will be reinstated after I wave my "I Stick with Dick" and "On the Button" creations at the next Skate America!