A question to the Americans

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by TAHbKA, Jan 9, 2012.

1. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

if you were reading a program documentation spelled in an american english (aka program, center etc) would you expect grey to be spelled as gray or as grey or it wouldn't matter?
    (reading our product user guide, it spells grey and center in the same document. Am clueless whether it's good, bad, unimportant).

Thanks!

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

It doesn't matter as long as you are consistent. :)

3. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Grey = GB
    Gray = US

4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

No, both are commonly used in the US.

5. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I meant. The technical writer spelled `color' and `center' and then `grey'.

emason, thank you! That explains:)

Grey it is!

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I can never remember which is the "American" spelling of the word, but the copy-editor at work tells me that Gray is the american spelling. Looking at all the major style guides ing the office, they all say gray is American and grey British.

You can remember it because A = American, E = English

Both are commonly used here, so I don't think anyone would give it a second glance, but I think that is because most Americans don't know which is the "British" spelling (because it doesn't follow any style convention that normally Americanizes words- why have two different words at all?)

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I use both. Seriously. I can never remember which to use. Somedays it's a, others it's e.

8. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

What Aceon6 said ^^^^^^^

9. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Gray, graigh, grae, greigh. I prefer grey.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

"Gray" is far more commonly used in the U.S.

I was taught in second grade that "grey" is the British spelling and shouldn't be used in written U.S. English.

It I were reading an article that used the spellings "center," "color," and "grey," I would wonder why the writer was switching between American and British spelling conventions.

11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I don't agree; grey and gray were used interchangeably when I was growing up and there was no differentiation. There were just alternate spellings of the same word.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I had a teacher named "Grey". And I have always interchanged grey and gray. When I had this teacher, I assumed that Grey was the spelling when it's a name, and gray when it's a color. But when reading, grey and gray are used to mean color. So I just figured nobody gives a crap and grey and gray can co-exist peacefully. :D

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

My American dictionary at hand lists grey as a variant of gray. I.e., grey is not incorrect, but gray is preferred. It doesn't say anything about grey being primarily a British spelling.

Same with theater vs. theatre.

So I'd agree with emason -- either is correct as long as it's consistent.

14. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I really don't read any difference. for example grey-dolloped horse seems to be the write spelling. Gray is a color in a crayola box. I had a friend who named her daughter Gray. So perhaps I read them: grey as a descriptive term and gray as a noun?
    I agree with PrincessLeppard and emason, just be consistent.

15. Skittl1321

I was taught that in American English a theater is a building and theatre is the art form.

I don't know if that is a "real" rule though.

(Oh- and I prefer grey, but the editors have conditioned me to use gray.)

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Grey looks much nicer.

17. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

They are. But gray is defined as "the US spelling of grey" by the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries when grey is a "variant of gray" for the Merriam-Webster. Gray is a color, grey is a colour ;). In the US the two spellings are acceptable. In the UK, they are not. Use "gray" in a Bristish document and it will be considered mispelling. I know that because I once did... Hence my reply to Tanya.

18. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

cholla is correct about Britain. Here in the UK, 'grey' is used universally, whereas if I came across the word 'gray' without knowing the source I would assume it was written by an American writer (or else it was a spelling mistake).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I always think of grey as having yellowish undertones and gray as having bluish undertones.

21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Thank you for asking this question, it's one I have wondered about and now I will know that I will be spelling good in the future.

22. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

23. Skittl1321

Do you have synesthesia?

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  24. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

The bigger question is why are there separate spellings for British and American English? I get that "color" is shorter than "colour", but why "realize" and "realise"? Is it a reminder for Americans to hit those consonants harder?

25. Skittl1321

I have no idea how it began, but I've often read that American spellings are more phonetic. Theatre/Theater is a good example, and realize/realise is too (though not quite as much).

Maybe a long time ago we had a tough time learning how to read, so they made it easier?

26. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I agree! :)

27. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

It may be urban myth, but I was told that the NY Times and other newspapers were quick to adopt a change if it meant they could set fewer letters and use less ink.

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

YOU BETTER WATCH IT.

29. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Um, no. After the Revolutionary War, Noah Webster changed a lot of American spellings, partly because he was an advocate of spelling reform and partly because he wanted American English to be different from British English because we weren't British any more.

Of course, that's overly simplistic; many of the spelling changes were actually well underway in the colonies while they still were colonies and some of the spelling changes were holdovers from British spellings of earlier periods, as well as variants brought by immigrants from other countries, but Webster's original dictionary is what made them standard American spellings.

30. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

When I read the word "color," the voice in my head always pronounces it "cul-oor," i.e rhymes with "poor."