A question about Synchro. VS. Pairs and Ice-Dance.

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Mar 6, 2013.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,it might very well just be me. So somebody please correct me on this if I'm wrong,and if it just SEEMS this way.But can anyone please tell me why Synchronized Skating is the ONLY Discipline of Skating that restricts a Move (Lifts) to just one Level (Senior)? VS. Pair and Ice-Dance that allow move on ALL Levels (please correct me if I'm wrong on that too)?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The lowest levels of pairs and dance have restrictions too. The lowest ice dancers don't do free dance yet so there are no lifts, and even senior ice dancers cannot do pair style lift with fully extended arms. Pairs the lowest levels don't do overhead lifts but rather lift to shoulder height.

I would guess the reason for only allowing senior synchro teams to lift is due to safety concerns. Also that there are many other elements to do, so those must be mastered first.

(I do want to clarify that it is not safety, but style, that prevents ice dancers from doing pairs lifts. It is something that differentiates the disciplines- makes the different)

3. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

In Canada, synchro teams in the Open category are also permitted to do lifts, with restrictions.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I would say it is because they have too many other things to do in a Synchro program that there is only time for one lift.