A question about Intersections in Synchronized Skating.

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Oct 15, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I was wondering how Synchronized Skaters when they do an Intesection on the ice can tell well skating were to intersect through? Can anyone answer this?

2. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

It's planned out in advance. Each skater in one line has a "partner" in the other line. You look for your partner and pass around each other.

3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Aren't all skaters connected with an Arm-Hold? How can each Skater have 1 Partner? Can you or someone explain so I understand better? An example.

4. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

We refer to it as "knowing your hole". You can think of it as Clarice said above as having a partner though.

For instance this year we are doing a triangle intersection so we always pass through the "holes" to the left of our partner. The arms are dropped just before intersecting. You have to intersect while turning so you have to drop arms regardless. So if it helps the lines are all offset slightly so that you meet up with a "hole" rather than a person.

5. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

How is it like having a Partner? I'm confused. I think I'd need to see what your talking about. Though,I don't know how good it will do.

6. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I'll try to explain it better. Let's imagine a small team of 8 skaters doing a simple intersection, because it will be easier to explain. The team is divided into two lines, each with 4 skaters. The lines are going to skate forwards towards each others, and intersect so the two lines pass through each other.

Line 1: Skater 1 Skater 2 Skater 3 Skater 4
    Line 2: Skater 1 Skater 2 Skater 3 Skater 4

As the lines approach each other, see how the Skater 1s come together, and the Skater 2s, etc.? The way I think about it, the Skater 1s are "partners", and as they skate towards each other they're not going to crash into each other because they're going to go around each other. On my team, we go to the right of our partner. On Synchkat's team, they go to the left. The lines are holding on as they skate towards each other, but they let go for the intersection, and then hold on again.

To think about it Synchkat's way, think of the lines coming together like this:

Line 1: Skater 1xxxxxxxxSkater 2xxxxxxxxSkater 3xxxxxxxxSkater 4xxxxxxxx
    Line 2: xxxxxxxxSkater 1xxxxxxxxSkater 2xxxxxxxxSkater 3xxxxxxxxSkater 4

See how each skater has a "hole" to go through? (I had to put "x" where the holes were so the computer wouldn't change the way I had the words lined up when I posted.) Each skater just has to know which hole is theirs. They're still going to drop hands as they pass through, and then grab hold again.

7. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Kind of like counting while skating.