A Question About English Fruitcake...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Mar 27, 2011.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

That's why I was suprised that William & Kate had chosen fruitcake for their wedding.

2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Not something I'm going to serve anytime soon. I noticed that most people at the table ate one or two of the items. But even though I like grapefruit and love blue cheese, even those two don't go together well. That's one recipe that I suspect most of us in the dinner group scratched off our copy of the recipes.

Oh well, the Bailey's & Irish Whiskey pie for dessert made up for it!

3. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

So did my sister. I'm not surprised at all that they're having fruitcake - it's a traditional wedding, and fruitcake is traditional.

It still sells pretty well at Christmas, so while it might not be the cake of choice for many, most still like it here. Still, my invitation seems to have gone missing in the mail, so I won't be able to report back on what this one tastes like :drama:

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's a nod to tradition.
    Most guests will take a piece of cake, as a "memento" from the wedding.
    I wonder how many of them will eat it?

5. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I absolutely hate fruitcake.. and I remember as a kid at my nana and grandad's eating a piece (forced really) and it had a shilling in it as per Christmas tradition with English fruitcake (silver coin) and it went into my filling a :yikes:.. ghastly stuff, hated it since :slinkaway

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

My wedding cake was fine without fondant. I don't think the frosting was butter cream either though, don't remember. All I know is it wasn't fondant.

7. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

I've always thought fruitcake was BLECH, but can you imagine what people will bid on ebay for a slice of the royal wedding fruitcake?! Should be fun to watch.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe Will & Kate will create a new interest in fruitcakes for a new generation.

................Nah. Who are we kidding :lol:.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I expect that, also.

10. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Yes indeed! I remember seeing a pic a few years ago of a slice of the Duke of Windsor & Mrs. Simpson's wedding cake. It was remarkably well preserved.

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

We found my grandmother's when we cleaned out her freezer on her passing. She'd had it 60+ years. Didn't look that great, though, probably as there was insufficient booze in it.