A Question About English Fruitcake...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Mar 27, 2011.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/03/26/uk.royal.wedding.cake/index.html?hpt=C2

According to this, Kate & William are having a fruitcake wedding cake.:yikes: My question is this: is English fruitcake like what we have in America? You know, 95% fruit chunks with a tiny bit of "cake" crumb holding it together? I always have a hard time thinking of fruitcake as actually being a real cake. Just too loaded with fruit for my tastes...

How many here at FSU like fruitcake? Please chime in. My response is no.

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i love fruitcake :slinkaway

3. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

That's o.k.! No worries. :) Do you like it super-chunky?

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

yes, i like a lot of fruit and nuts and please dont leave out the alcohol

5. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Fruit cake is very traditional for wedding cakes.

My mother's, mine and my sister's were.

And yes, I love it. I usually make mine in September or October, cover it in cheesecloth, and unwrap it every few weeks to pour more rum on it.

eta: I also prefer a dark cake, not crazy about the light ones.

6. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I love fruitcake, although it often gives me ulcers. There are several types of English fruitcake. The type you describe reminds me more of Christmas cake - i'm not so keen on that.

They aren't all that dense... some just have raisins and a few almonds on top. It goes very well with tea.

7. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

What kind do you think they will have at the royal wedding? I can't imagine a Christmas-type fruitcake all frosted up!

8. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

fruit cake? :scream:

9. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Well English Chrismas cake is frosted up! http://www.essentially-england.com/images/christmas_cake1.jpg

And now I think of it, most wedding cakes are kind of like Christmas cakes (the traditional ones anyway).
    The tradition is for the couple to keep a slice to eat on their first anniversary :lol: so it has to be the dense kind.

10. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I love fruit cake, but leave out the nuts. Yuck. I love nuts, but they do NOT go well in that cake.

11. Jodi

Jodi Caulkhead forever

Most of it's been covered already, but from previous discussions of the subject it seems to be common for American fruit cakes to contain mostly candied fruit? In British ones you might get some glace cherries, but mostly it's dried fruit - raisins, currants and sultanas. All juicy with brandy or something. Yum :)

12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Oh yes, fondant! That works well. For some reason, I had buttercream frosting on my mind, though I don't know why. It seems that most wedding cakes now-a-days use fondant instead.

I love the taste of buttercream, though (as long as it's not too sweet!:))

13. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm trying to imagine fruitcake covered in fondant, and it is not an appealing thought.

14. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'm trying to imagine one with buttercream :confused:

My mother's fruit cake has marzipan on it :swoon:

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Traditional English wedding cake is a very dense fruitcake (as mentioned usually made with things like dried currants, raisins, sultanas, etc) covered with marzipan. It's meant to be easily preserved to eat later.

As long as they put enough alcohol in it, I'm good.

16. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Fruitcake was used for wedding cakes for a long time. As far as I know, it's only in the last 20 or 30 years that it became more common to use chocolate cake, vanilla etc. Both my mother and sister had fruitcake as wedding cakes. Extra cake was cut up in advance and wrapped with cellophane and doilies to give out to the guests. Then you slept on it overnight to dream about your future husband!

17. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Fruit cake...I cannot respect them anymore. That's disgusting. Well, I shouldn't say that. I had one fruit cake I liked ONCE. It was an Alton Brown recipe that called for dried fruit instead of candied.
    But I wouldn't want to eat a lot of it. :lol:

My neighbors make a fruitcake every year and put GUMMY BEARS in it, and it's so weird, you can't tell the fruit from the gummy bears in color, taste, or texture. :yikes:

18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere that fondant is not really meant for eating. It basically just lard and sugar.

English fruitcake's images

Um...looks exactly like the same old one-and-only American fruitcake that get pass from generation to generation, because no one wants to eat it, LOL.

19. emason

emason Well-Known Member

You must be thinking of something else. Fondant is meant for eating and it absolutely does not have lard in it. It may have glycerin and agar and who knows what, but no lard.

20. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

21. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

That's right. Most homemakers owned a set of three tins with removable bottoms. They were of different sizes so you could make a cake with three tiers. They would be covered in marizpan, then with a stiff white icing and decorations. Fondant icing, I think it is called.

Last time I moved I threw out about 6 pieces of wedding cake from various marriages.....all ended by divorce.

BTW, I love dark fruitcake but in my advanced years I can no longer digest it. For the sake of any guests I now refrain from indulging.

22. ElizabethAnne

ElizabethAnne Member

I use pecans and they seem to work ok.

23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I love, love, LOVE fruitcake, with lots of fruit (candied and/or dried), tons of nuts and as much alcohol as it will take! (hiccup...)

24. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I like fruit. I like nuts. I like spirits. Any two seem to go together fine, but all three in a fruitcake...haven't met one I love yet.

(Reminds me of the dinner party I was at last week, featuring a composed salad of shredded beets, grapefruit slices, and blue cheese.)

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Fruitcake. :scream:
    Honestly, I'd much rather eat the cake I had at my wedding. IIRC, it was chocolate (no fondant) with raspberry mousse and fresh raspberries.

26. Civic

Civic New Member

According to my caterer friend, fondant holds up at room temperature far better than buttercream frosting which tends to start melting. Since wedding cakes usually sit at room temperature for several hours, frosting stability is important. Also, fondant offers cakemakers a lot of flexibility when it comes to decorating the cake. I prefer a good buttercream frosting but resign myself to eating fondant when attending weddings.

27. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

How was it?

28. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

:yikes: That makes me cringe - my tongue starts to curdle thinking of those three joined together.

We made the Christmas/wedding/fruit cakes in two huge plastic tubs and I still have the tins for them. All different sizes. I think they might have been my grandmothers.

29. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I just realised what candied fruit is. If that's what's in American fruitcakes, then no wonder no one likes them :scream: It should be dried fruit, not candied :drama: ;)

In reality, I think it's more of a generational thing. Young people don't eat fruitcake much any more.

30. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I just realised what candied fruit is. If that's what's in American fruitcakes, then no wonder no one likes them :scream: It should be dried fruit, not candied :drama: ;)

In reality, I think it's more of a generational thing. Young people don't eat fruitcake much any more.