A question about bagels

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Last Saturday, I had brought about 50-55 bagels to a toastmasters speech contest. They were made on Fri. at Einstein Bros, and myself and another toastmaster got them for free (total around 100; we split them between us) at the end of the day on Fri.

The Saturday gathering was very nice, and everyone enjoyed the bagels with different types of cream cheese. One of my helpers took some bagels to a volunteer meeting he was at, later that day, and he said the kids there were very happy.

I brought home what was left of the bagels- around 16-17, I think- and put them in freezer bags and froze them. I was thinking that I could take them to work either this week or next, because at our meetings someone buys bagels (everyone chips in with money).

Would it be in poor taste if I took my frozen bagels, defrosted them and served them at our meeting at work? In all the cases I have provided 3 types of cream cheese tubs, which I will provide again.

I just don't want people to say these bagels taste awful. Should I even let them know they were frozen?

Personally I have no problem eating one bagel out of the freezer at a time, but I am likely to eat about 2 bagels per week (i am not a huge bagel eater; they are rather heavy and quite filling if I eat a whole bagel at a time). I am just thinking it will be nice to share them, but how will it be viewed by others?

How long do frozen bagels last? I have never tried freezing bagels.

Any advice will be appreciated.

2. acraven

acraven Active Member

I don't have access to decent bakery bagels, so I buy mine at the bakery counter of a supermarket. I do freeze them, but I toast them before I eat them.

In my experience, bagels get tough very quickly. Frankly, I'm surprised bagels bought on Friday were still good on Saturday. I think the amount of time between baking and freezing is probably at least as important as the time spent in your freezer, assuming the bagels are well wrapped.

I'm doubtful that the bagels will be in good condition for your meeting, especially since (I assume) they aren't going to be toasted before consumption. However, you're starting with better quality bagels, so who knows?

I think you should take one bagel out of your freezer the day before your meeting and taste-test it.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

^I concur about doing a taste-test the day before. I also have my doubts about how good the defrosted bagels would be unless they were toasted. Back in the day before there were any bagel places in my town (now there are several), Lenders Frozen Bagels were a staple in my freezer -- but I don't think that I ever ate one without toasting it.

4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I agree.

Fresh bagels: Good for all occasions.

Frozen and toasted: Good for own use.

Frozen and thawed without toasting: No good for anyone.

5. Vash01

Sounds like I will need to go to work early and toast those bagels.

Is Microwave OK or do you recommend a Toaster oven (that's all we have at work)?

6. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Microwave to thaw. Toaster oven to toast.

NJL

7. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

vash01, you are a menace. Last week, you caused me to buy donuts and today, you've got me craving bagels and cream cheese.

8. Vash01

May be I should start a thread about cakes or cookies.:lol:

9. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

100% agree with this

10. Vash01

Sounds like I need to eat those bagels myself, at home (thawed and toasted).

11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

The thing is, toasting them in advance really doesn't help a lot, imo. They need to be served soon after toasting, so unless you have an enormous toaster oven that can handle a half dozen bagels at a time, you'd be toasting bagels one by one, all meeting long.

12. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I think at this point the only critters who should be eating those bagels are the ducks in the local pond. The ducks won't care if they're toasted or not and they'll even bring their own algae to spread on them.

13. Vash01

LOL!

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I have not had good experiences trying to keep bagels fresh. If you freeze them or put them in the fridge, they just get soggy and gross. :lol: