A Latest Interview with Oleg Vasiliev

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by angietang, Aug 19, 2010.

1. angietang

angietang Member

Here is the link: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/403649A

Any forum translator, please.

I only know that Maria has returned to St. Petersburg from Chicago with her coach whereas Jerome is currently stranded in Paris because of his visa problem. Mr. Vasiliev said that their SP is ready for the test skate.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Oleg Vasiliev: Life will tell who is the spare wheel. The world class coach tells why the new pair Mukhortova/Blanchard didn't make it to Novogorsk

The test skates started in Novogorsk yesterday. Mukhortova/Blanchard - the couple which emerged from the ashes of the dramatic and scandalous break up of Maria and Maxim were not there. The rumours were running, but the reality was simple.

Apparently Maria and the coach are in St. Petersburg, while Blanchard...

- Oleg, how come your couple is not in Novogorsk? You were not invited or decided not to go?
    - Neither. We really wanted to skate in Novogorst, but Jerome got stuck in France - his Russian visa will only be ready tomorrow and by the time he'd get here the test skates in Novogorsk will be over.

- What will you do?
    - We'll wait for Jerome and skate later - separately from the others. We'll have a talk with the federation right after the skate. We realize that in order for Blanchard to represent Russia he needs a Russian citizenship. He is not going to give up his French, but fortunately France allows the double citizenship. The question is how fast can all that be done. If the Federation supports us it will be a possibility, otherwise...
    Whether the federation is to support us will become clear after the test skate. If they like the couple, and have to tell they turned to be a gorgeous couple - with great elements and all, so if they like us - things will become easy.

- The camp in Chicago is over just now and probably, you are the only one to judge what kind of couple they are.
    - Am satisfied with the camp all and all. We had plenty of ice, we worked on the floor. Much word was done. Next week will be 2 months since they started skating together. We perfectioned some hard elements, some re-learned, some cleaned. Most importantly - the guys understand each other and do everything willingly

more to come....

LynnW, hanca, kwanfan1818 and 5 others like this.
  3. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

damn... I can't believe it happened... I just translated till the end of the article and for some reason the FSU logged me out and the translation is lost....

4. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Oleg, a slippery moment you can't avoid - your pair is meant to be n. 3, hence the spare wheel. It is obvious all the resources will be given to the first 2 pairs - Kawaguti/Smirnov and Volosozhar/Trankov, who were already named as potentially the best pair in the world. They are working with Nikolay Morozov on their LP. The third pair, as we all know, is always left to it's own devices.
    - Am used to that. My pairs were never the favourites. I don't want to give credits and promises, but let's wait for the Russian nationals - it's just 4 months left. Life will tell who is the spare wheel...

- If you could choose - would it be the support or a chance?
    - The support is always nice. But the lack of it has it's advantages. Your pair realizes no one will come to their help. It's a huge motivator. They work harder, through `I can't'. They want to prove themselves even more to themselves and the others.

- Are you going to put any UltraC elements, including the quad throw?
    - Sertainly not this season! It's impossible now - Jerome spent several years skating in the shows and he is not ready yet. But since our goals are clear - the Sochi Olympics... Actually I don't want to elucidate on that yet. Whether we are going to progress slowly or will we tear the field is a secret which no coach would reveal. Neither me, nor Moskvina nor anyone else.

- Do you agree that Trankov's leave is a huge blow on Maria's career and future? Are you sorry for not having the right words for him to stay?
    - Why a blow? At long last she feels human. A free person who is treatened right. You see, every story has it's good and bad sides. Yes, Maxim progressed during the years we spent together, he is more experienced than Jerome, but Jerome is not stressed as Maxim is with the Olympics, Europeans and Worlds. it means alot.
    As for Muhortova/Trankov - they split at 2006. By the time they rolled to me they were counted off. They changed coaches till they got to me. Add their relantionship - constant fighting and you'll get the picture.
    Then Maxim was asked to remain and skate with Maria. As a matter of fact he was pressed on. One could say `If the Federation cared enough about this pair now as well...' but I personally am not sure had they remained together I could, and even more so, wanted to work with them

5. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

- Did they ever get into a physical fight under you?
    - Never! They might had before, but it's something not acceptable in my groups. I didn't have to get in the middle - my word was enough to stop any fighting.

- I noticed the one who always wanted to leave was Maxim, while Maria kept repeating `I will only skate with him!'
    - Yes, at 2007 he was serious about leaving and I did tell Maria `Take a look at Jerome Blanchard. A great guy! and is left without a partner'. But no! She only wanted to skate with Maxim. While Maxim... He told me many times about being offended I make more remarks about his skating than of hers, while in reality Maria got twice more remarks on her skating than his. But you can't really tell a person how to be real, can you?

- Your critiques always mention that the male partner is always the suffering party.
    - Go ask Maxim Marinin. He skated under me for almost 6 years - did he feel like a victim? Try asking Blanchard the same. I realize he haven't skated under me for more than a couple of months, but we've met a while ago and I think, the fact that he returned from the professional shows and is ready to work really hard and be under such a pressure after my one call means alot.

- Right, that's in the past. It's just interesting what will become of all that situation. For you as a coach as well.
    - Indeed, it is the past. As for the future... Right now the fact is : we had one pair - Mukhortova/Trankov, now we have two. They both might remain `promising' and `potential' and get stuck there. They might fly to the sky and fight in the highest level. Or, perhaps, one might sink.
    No one can predict what will become of them, what will it mean for Russia and for the figure skating in general.

6. angietang

angietang Member

Oh, thank you so much, TAHbKA, for your great translation!

I had been logged out on many occasions before I was trying to post something at FSU, so, next time you'd better make a copy of your text before posting. LOL

7. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Yes, thank you very much, TAHbKA.

It's a shame that they didn't make it to the test skate, but perhaps this will work out better for them in that there might be less pressure.

8. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

TAHbKA, your translation is much appreciated, as always. :)

9. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Thanks so much as always TANbKA. It's, um, an interesting interview. I do agree that he is right, in time we will see who is the "spare wheel". A shame that they couldn't make it to test skate because of Jerome's visa, but as someone else said, maybe that will help take some pressure off of them. They could perhaps test privately, and possibly earn a Cup of Russia spot.

10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

TAHbKA, :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

11. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the translation TAHbKA!!!

:D Somehow, I suspect Jerome isn't the only one "not ready yet" for ultra moves including a quad throw. Just sayin.

12. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

:lol: Seriously. It's so silly to ask about quads.

:rofl: Gotta love these Russian interviews. Always amusing! Thank you for translating.

13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Thanks again, TAHbKA!:rockstar:
    Let´s hope that Blanchard gets his visa items cleared. I love dramatic rivalries, and the Russian pairs are now so interesting in that way.
    I am a bit :rolleyes:that Vasiliev already acts like M/B will be non-supported underdogs. But I guess it is called politikking...

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

My eville side wonders if they didn't decide to just have Jerome stay in France a few extra days and make up the story about getting stuck, in order to avoid comparison to V&T (understandable really because V&T have had more time together). I know it sounds far-fetched, but there was that incident where they went on vacation while supposedly visiting Maria's sick grandmother. :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing them though. I think Oleg is right, they're going to make a gorgeous couple, I'm just concerned about the technical aspects.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  15. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Thank you TAHbKA for the translation!

I agree with that assessment, although TV/SM and MM/MT just got done skating only a few months earlier (with the exception of worlds) so it only stands to reason TV/MT would look better than MM/JB who haven't skated together as long. And Jerome has been out of serious competitive training for a while so he maybe a little greener than the rest of the field, but I have always loved Maria. She always had an elegance and grace about her skating especially her arms and hands. She reminds me of a ballerina. I know people often blamed her for bad jumps hopefully with a different partner the dynamics will change and she will change too. Oleg is a great coach and I don't think he is far off with people counting him and his team out. No one seems to be as excited to see M/B as they are V/T. Some people have V/T already winning worlds next year. That must make him re-think the way he treats his skaters, even if you only believe half of what you read.

16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I think Oleg downplaying expectations of his new team is a wise idea. Maria, as beautiful as she is in positions and elegance, has never been a strong jumper. Jerome hasn't competed in years. They are going to be raw, at least in the beginning. Perhaps he is hoping that people will be pleasantly surprised that they are not as rough around the edges as he's making us think. And to claim that they will be underdogs I think is just smart, since technically they will probably, at least in the beginning, have a hard time meeting the standards of the big two Russian teams now, one being an established team and one being the new team that includes the "partner that got away".