A Divine Sport blog

Spun Silver

Thanks for the preview, Claire. I haven't been following US pairs closely of late but you make me feel well prepared to follow the drama at Nats... assuming I get to watch. (Difficult personal circumstances....)

Spun Silver

I love your "why pairs" post, Claire. Focusing on speed and the practice session at Nats was brilliant. I've been meaning to post and applaud you for creating a blog focused on the least-loved discipline. You are meeting a need, and doing it so well!

Xela M

I love your "why pairs" post, Claire. Focusing on speed and the practice session at Nats was brilliant. I've been meaning to post and applaud you for creating a blog focused on the least-loved discipline. You are meeting a need, and doing it so well!

Eek! Least loved?! I thought it's figure skating's most prized discipline? It's certainly one Russia cares most about and takes most pride in.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Fairly certain clairecloutier is indicating that pairs is seemingly the least loved skating discipline by the general public, not necessarily by all skating fans. She is definitely correct that pairs does not receive the coverage it deserves (especially in a country where coverage of skating in general is severely lacking). I'm so glad that clairecloutier has the passion, analytical judgment, writing skill, and energy to fill that lack with her blog for lovers of skating and especially for lovers of pairs skating!

With Russia's long and revered ballet tradition and enormous contribution to the art of ballet, it is certainly no surprise that pairs and then dance is where Russian skaters first made their mark in the sport.

Xela M

I always considered pairs to be figure skating's most important discipline as it's also the most difficult, risky and the most beautiful. It's the jewel in the crown.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ If you haven't yet read clairecloutier's "Why Pairs?" blog post, you should, as she expresses very much the same sentiments. :)

clairecloutier

Eek! Least loved?! I thought it's figure skating's most prized discipline? It's certainly one Russia cares most about and takes most pride in.

Unfortunately, Xela, such is not the case in the U.S. Here, pairs tends to be quite overlooked in favor of singles and, more recently, ice dance. The indifference either reflects--or contributes to--our lack of success in pairs. The U.S. has won only one world championship in pairs; our last Olympics pairs medalists were in 1988; and our last world pairs medalists in 2002. We're far more successful in singles, so that's what fans tend to focus on.

^^ Fairly certain clairecloutier is indicating that pairs is seemingly the least loved skating discipline by the general public, not necessarily by all skating fans.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, aftershocks. :)

I always considered pairs to be figure skating's most important discipline as it's also the most difficult, risky and the most beautiful. It's the jewel in the crown.

I quite agree with you! As I said in my blog post, I love all the disciplines, but pairs is my favorite: https://adivinesport.wordpress.com/.

WanderlustTO

Claire, I really enjoy your blog (I also love seeing your comments on The Skating Lesson site) - is there any way to sign up for email notifications or RSS?

clairecloutier

Thanks so much Wanderlust! Glad you like it! :)

Right now, I'm not sure there's a way to sign up for email/RSS notifications. I'll have to look into this. If I find out there is a way, I'll let you know.

I do send out a notification on Twitter whenever I put up a new post. So if you're on Twitter and want to get updates, you can follow me at @clairecloutier. Also, I post updates on this thread. I'll keep you posted on the email/RSS question.

Spun Silver

Nice job, Claire. You brought something different to the conversation. I have not followed K/S closely enough to comment on your argument in detail but I appreciate your spelling out the gamble they are taking. It still makes no sense to me!

clairecloutier

Nice job, Claire. You brought something different to the conversation. I have not followed K/S closely enough to comment on your argument in detail but I appreciate your spelling out the gamble they are taking. It still makes no sense to me!

Thanks, Spun! Yes, I wanted to look at how Stolbova/Klimov's decision may or may not work out. I have strong doubts about it, myself.

Claire, I really enjoy your blog (I also love seeing your comments on The Skating Lesson site) - is there any way to sign up for email notifications or RSS?

Wanderlust: Just wanted to say that you can now sign up for my blog via email! There's a signup box on the top right of the page. It will send you an email automatically every time there's a new post on the blog.

cocovica

A new post: "Will Stolbova/Klimov's Decision to Skip Worlds Pay Off?" https://adivinesport.wordpress.com/
Very interesting, thanks for sharing! I must say, I also still didnt get why would they skip the season right before its top. Doesnt make sense...as you wrote anyway...let's see what will the next season show for them...I personally really like them so I hope to see them again..

Spun Silver

What a great review, Claire. If Scott H still owns SOI, you are his best friend! It sounds like the best SOI ever. Jeff Buttle is its secret weapon nowadays and seems to have made a huge difference. When I used to go I would grit my teeth to make it through all the easy routines and, worse, the sing-song narration aimed at children. It sounds like they are playing to an adult audience now, thank heavens. I am bummed that it is not coming to Newark or the Meadowlands any more.

Interesting words about Patrick. I wonder if he has the charisma and audience love to succeed Browning as national or international icon (or male equivalent of Sweetheart). I also appreciated your raves for Joannie - she is another one who, while excellent as a competitor, is perfection as a show skater, for me. I respect her so much for keeping up her skills and the way she has flowered in her connection with the audience. Re Kimmie, I suspect that she does not put that much time into training these days -- could certainly be wrong but the descriptions of her skating as underwhelming have been pretty consistent. I saw Tanith and Ben a year and a half ago and was utterly delighted with them, so I can well believe they were a highlight. Love the pic you chose of the beauteous Tanith with Charlie and Ryan! As for Meryl and Charlie - well, they deserve everything they're getting. I really like their Sleeping Beauty number. Now THAT is how you play to kids (AND adults) - not with baby talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information