A Brit Just Won The Masters

Lorac

Well done Danny :encore:Really holding his nerve then and having to wait for the final 2 pairings to finish. But what a collapse by Jordan Spieth at the 12th hole. A quadruple bogey lost him a 2nd consecutive Green Jacket. Still great showing from the Englishmen in this year's Masters. 3 in the top 4. :respec:

Cachoo

I didn't know what happened...I tuned in for 60 Minutes and they were talking about Danny and his new baby and the collapse of Spieth. I think the best way to win one of the big four is not to be the favorite and fly in under the radar and play your patootie off. And that is exactly what Willett did...masterful!

ilovepaydays

Congrats to Willett. But that implosion by Spieth was insane. But apparently he has been playing a LOT of tournaments lately - even overseas - enough that many pro golf experts were saying it was worrying them.

Seerek

Only the second since Nick Faldo. Congrats to Danny Willett!!!!!! Cheers.

Having Willett win on the 20th anniversary of Nick Faldo's 1996 comeback win over (a very flustered) Greg Norman does provide an interesting parallel with Spieth's collapse on the back 9.

Also interesting side note with Willett's win, fellow Englishman Lee Westwood (tied 2nd) now has 9 top-3 finishes in majors without a win while Willett and Justin Rose have 1 major each.

Cachoo

I thought about Greg Norman too. At least Spieth already has a green jacket and I would tell him over and over that he has no "monkey on his back" because he hasn't won the Masters. He just had a bad day.

One of the sports shows on ESPN was talking about Willett: The journalist had run into the great golfer Darren Clarke in a bar and he was introduced to Willett who then said he needed to leave to get rest before some tournament. As Willett was well out of the top 100 golfers the journalist had never heard of him. Clarke told him that he had just met the best European golfer playing anywhere. I think the journalist was surprised because there are great European golfers that everyone knows about and this guy was a nobody to him. Not anymore....

WildRose

Willett has been coming on strong for awhile now, I'm really surprised a golf journalist wouldn't have heard of him but I suppose it's because he's European. Very exciting finish to the Masters, disappointed for McIlroy again this year, but great to see a Euro win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information