A Book is Like a Garden in Your Pocket

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Summer fun on my coming soon list:
    June 21: New Sarah Booth (Southern Belle Mystery) by Caroline Haines and new Amish mystery by Linda Castillo
    August: New Pendergast :cheer2: (Preston and Child series)

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Got Keith Richards' biography for hubby for Father's day. Hope he likes it.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have plenty of books for this darned history summer class if anyone wants to borrow. Maybe you could read it and tell me what they are all about so I don't have to, haha. I have 6 weeks to read 5 books. I am NOT a reader. :wuzrobbed

4. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

What kind of history class? :D

Love the the thread title.

5. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Well, rfisher, I owe you one. The title reminded me that I have been caught completely unprepared for Poem in Your Pocket Day at work for three years in a row. And now I see that they have an app for that :).

I'm finishing The Informationist; the last section is supposed to be one long wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee, so I am withholding judgment until then, but for now, I have mixed feelings.

Next up is Attachments, which was one of B&N's recommended books last month.

The new recommendations for summer reading are here: http://ebm.e.bn.com/c/tag/hAAAAAAB8...-BN-_-product_page-_-booksellers_guide_6.8.11

I ordered Robopocalypse for my husband, but I thought of PL first :lol:.

6. BigB08822

Louisiana History. I have 4 books, not 5. In my :drama: I miscounted. :lol:

One is titled something like Louisiana: A History and should be sufficiently boring. One is quite short and is about some convent, at least it will be quick. Another is called Pistols and Politics, I think. The last is a thick book titled The Day Huey Long Was Shot. I find him interesting and it will be more modern so it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't A) quite long and B) focused on one day??? I hope the title is misleading.

I am also reading A History of Psychiatry in another class but I find the subject interesting. The book is not written in a style that I can easily follow. The author likes to show off their use of fancy never before seen words and that bothers me.

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Sorry, just can't. No matter how "ultimately rewarding" it is, I just can't bear to read about animals suffering/in pain. It's bad enough when it's only a small part of a fiction (like in One Good Dog, or Playing for the Ashes), but as a major focus in a non-fiction ... uh uh, nope, can't do it. But I'm very glad to hear it is a happy ending!

I haven't had much reading time lately so I'm still working through Best Laid Plans. I think some readers may be turned off by all the parliamentary procedure stuff, but I was a parliamentary geek in my youth so it's a fun flashback for me. Plus it's very witty.

8. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I've been reading Johnny Weir's "Welcome to my world" while floating in the tub the last few weeks. I've always liked Johnny as a skater. The book.....is ok for a bathroom book ;)

9. rfisher

I have a wooden garden plaque with this saying. It's currently hanging from a tree branch over my chaise lounge. :)

10. rfisher

I think all of those sound very interesting, especially the Pistols and Politics. I got a minor in history and absolutely love it.

11. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

What number is this book in the series?

I enjoyed the first three or four but the last one I read didn't inspire me to continue. The couple (Ayla and __?) had returned to his community and there was little story - descriptions of pottery making went on for pages and pages. . .

12. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I've almost finished The Art Of Driving In The Rain. I'm about to read the last chapter, but I just know that it is going to break my heart, and I can't deal with that right now.

13. rfisher

This was number 6 and is the last one. It's a cut and paste remix of the other 5 books probably written by Jean Auel's son (since she's like 90 or so). No plot. Just endless "oh, look. There's a cave. It must be sacred to the Mother. Let's go inside and paint the walls." For every freaking cave site in France.

And you couldn't have read pottery making descriptions as they didn't make pottery at that time. :lol: Most of the *Venus* (described in the 3rd book) were carved from ivory. There are endless discussions on fllint knapping. His name is Jondalar and their daughter is Jonayla. The big reveal in this book apart from the cave paintings is everyone begins to believe Ayla's wild theory that children come from having Pleasures with a man and not from random spirits. Men can be male mothers or as the term comes to be: fathers.

14. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I did that once, for my sister in high school. I read the book, told her about it, she wrote the paper and got an "A". Three years later, I rewrote some of her paper on the same book, submitted it, and got a "B". Miserable teacher. :slinkaway

Am currently reading Long Lost, by David Morrell. Last week I discovered Stuart Woods, and his Stone Barrington novels. They are a treat - a nice, light, entertaining read.

15. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I'm trying to get through Mary Barton. I've been sledging through it for months. I stop and then I start reading it again. In the meantime, I picked up The Communist Manifesto from the library. I had no idea that it was so thin. I have to admit some parts were a bit dense but most of it was accessible (which also surprised me).

So I have some other books (more modern) from both the library and on my nook but I'm not sure which one to read yet.

I was thinking I need something a bit light. Has anyone read Phillipa Ashley? Her novel, Mr. December, was a free e-book and I have it. Is it worth a read or should I pick something else?

16. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I think the novels which followed Mary Barton were better.

I've been on a real "crime spree" this week, buying noir novels by Chandler, Hammett, Goodis, Thompson, and Highsmith. I might go for the Jim Thompson next - the blurb on the back cover decribes him as "Willa Cather steeped in rot-gut and armed with a .45." :lol:

17. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I downloaded it but it's so far down my reading list that I might never get to it unless someone posts a rave. The customer 'net reviews are pretty good.

Do you have a Nook? If so, you NEED this thread: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com...Kbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT/td-p/713884

There are new posts every day and some of the books listed are free for a very limited time (the best ones are usually free for only a day or two), so be sure to look frequently.

And you should check out Kristy Haining's B&N page: http://my.barnesandnoble.com/Best-Nookbook-Bargains-KirstyHaining/el/16550169/

Apologies if you already have the links. :)

18. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I remember the flint knapping. But there was also a lot of detail about the making of eating utensils or pots I think. Perhaps baskets too?

At any rate, it really wasn't very interesting.

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

We should have numbered the reading threads. It would be nice to know what edition of it this is. LOL Probably something like #50! We do seem to read a lot around here. Me not as much as I used to but I am still seduced by the promise of a good story every now and then. :D

20. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

The only other Gaskell novel I've read so far is North and South and I definitely prefer it thus far to Mary Barton. Although I have to say that the love triangle between Mary, Jem and Carson is starting to heat things up just a bit.

Thanks for the links! :) I just went to the first one. I'm always on the lookout for freebies. I hoard them on my nook so I never run out of something to read. :shuffle:

21. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

I picked up an ARC of Alice LaPlante's Turn of Mind at work yesterday. Looks quite interesting, about an aging doctor with dimentia whose best friend is murdered and she can't remember if she's involved. Written in a stream of conciousness narrative style that invokes the torment of the mental breakdown of the main character, it's getting LOTS of good buzz in book circles online. So far about 50 pages in and it's really good!

22. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I had something like that happen to me. My brother was a year behind me in school. He was smart, but didn't like to read. So, a year after I turned in a history book report, he copied it and turned it in to the same teacher. The teacher not only failed to notice the plagiarism, but gave him a higher grade than I received. I didn't find out about it until I was about to go off to college and was rummaging through his room to find all my things he'd taken, and there were the papers. :lol: He ended up having to take a remedial English course when he got to college. :(

23. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I think that it does cover a bit more than just one day -- sounds like it would be a good read. Too bad you are "NOT a reader" or you could also read Robert Penn Warren's All the King's Men and compare the novel to the real life events. Or you could just watch the movie (1949 version with Broderick Crawford).

24. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I'm reading the Shawnia Twain book and so far it's very depressing. The thing that is making me mad is she keeps making excuses for her parent behavior.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Actually, there was one community that had "discovered" pottery (clay firing) in The Plains of Passage. It was that group led by the psychopath that captured Jondalar -- their spiritual leader had discovered it by accident when some wet clay fell into a fire or something. Then she perfected the technique.

Might have been the only significant discovery at the time that was not made by Ayla. :rolleyes:

Spoiler alert! :D

26. BigB08822

I started reading the first book and it is the one on the convent. I don't have it in front of me but it is about the Ursuline Convent. I actually like it. It is a collection of letters written by one of the women in the group. I always preferred actual accounts over a boring history textbook anyday.

27. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I really liked Ruth and Sylvia's Lovers. Haven't got around to Wives and Daughters yet, though.

While I wouldn't rank Jim Thompson with Willa Cather, Heed the Thunder
    was pretty good in a gritty, sordid kind of way. I think I need another comic novel as a palate cleanser, though.

28. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Two history courses. Eight weeks, eight books. Five book reviews. One research paper. Three essay exams.

It's roughly 400 pages of reading a week. But I am a history major so it is actually a relief to me to be reading history which I generally enjoy.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. mkats

mkats New Member

If you are planning on reading Land of Painted Caves, I suggest you skip Parts I and II. Literally (no pun intended), NOTHING happens.

Part III can be summed up as follows:

Ayla is busy. Very. Jondalar sleeps with Marona in his and Ayla's "special pool" and gets caught by Ayla. We then never hear from/about Marona again. Ayla takes out her revenge by sleeping with Laramar, aka Mr. deadbeat-father who just makes barma all day. Jondalar reacts by punching in Laramar's face.

Ayla gets "called" to the Zelandoni by learning that men also help produce babies and adds another verse to the already interminably long Mother's Song. She also finds in her cave some stuff that proves that Madroman (guy Jondalar punched ages ago) faked his "calling". Madroman gets mad and leaves. We never hear from him again.

Brukeval, the quarter (or half?) Clan guy whose role is mostly to run around yelling that he's not a flathead, is very displeased by Ayla's revelation. He also runs away and we never hear from him again.

Ayla gives up on life because Jondalar is mad at her and Laramar's face is ruined and it's ALL HER FAULT, so she brings out the ancient Clan Root and drinks a great big bowl of it with the rest of the Zelandoni and almost dies. Only Jondalar's overwhelming love brings her back in an incredibly cheesy Sleeping-Beauty sort of incident. (I think they actually say that legends about Jondalar and his one true love, Ayla, were told for years afterwards or something :lol:)

As a punishment for beating up Laramar, Jondalar agrees to care for Tremeda (his wife) and their many children.

THE END!

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Loved Elizabet Chadwick and I think I will check out more of her books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.