A Baking Question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Dec 16, 2012.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

2. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I always omit the salt if I'm using salted butter. You can never tell how much salt is in salted butter, some brands are saltier than the other.

3. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

Omit. Dansh recipes almost always call for salted butter, and no salt for sweet bakery. Granted European style butter s less salted too, but even in the US I rarely get unsalted butter.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I agree - no added salt. Although I am a failed baker. ;)

5. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

I would use a good pinch of salt. You can't be sure there is enough salt in the salted butter.

6. milanessa

What does salt do in a recipe like that? Honest question.

signed - failed baker.

7. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

It's supposed to enhance the flavor. I rarely put in as much as they say to begin with and often use unsalted butter even if the recipe doesn't call for it because a lot of my recipes are older and I think they overdo the salt. But you can't have none or your baked goods will be bland. This is especially true if chocolate is involved.

Also, you must have salt in bread as it helps with the rising. Otherwise your bread will be a brick. :)

Here's an article on it if you want to know more:

http://shaunasever.com/2011/06/why-salt-is-important-in-baking.html

8. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Salt really helps bring out the flavor when you're baking. I made a batch of cookies a couple weeks ago and forgot to add salt and I could really taste the difference. The cookies had a very bland sweet taste to them.

9. maatTheViking

Salt is a flavor enhancer, but I really think sweet stuff is often over salted.

Savory bread is another issue.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Savory bread :kickass: I had some great anise-flavored brown bread at a Jul party last weekend.

11. milanessa

Huh. Never knew all that. Which is probably why I'm a failed baker. :lol:

12. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

13. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

But that's only for bread.

14. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I always use salt as well as salted butter for quick-breaks - and my banana bread and corn bread are divine. Using buttermilk helps as well.

15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I always use salted butter and never omit the salt. I bake all the time and everything always comes out well.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I never use salted butter when baking. I just make sure to add the amount of salt the recipe calls for.

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Salt assit with the leavening process. Omit the salt and the item will be denser than you expect.

18. maatTheViking

Salt has no effect on chemical leavening agents.

How much salt you want it a matter of personal taste. Even when using unsalted butter I use less than a recipe calls for, if the recipe is American.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I use unsalted butter for everything, and often cut salt significantly in recipes without any issue. I use half the salt in my tied and true pastry recipe, and just made popovers this week with 1/3 the salt suggested - no texture or leavening problems with either.

20. milanessa

No wonder us failed bakers have failed. So many opinions. :lol: Well, maybe not but it makes me feel better.

21. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I always wondered who was buying the salted butter :lol:

22. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone! I'm going to buy some bananas tomorrow and give it a whirl...

I love baking/cooking threads - so fun to read! :) :) :)

23. milanessa

But the burning question is...will you use salt or no salt? ;)

24. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Well, I'm going use my salted butter and just add a pinch of salt. :D

25. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Salted butter is not the same as unsalted butter with salt added. Salt is a moisture retainer, so the amount of moisture in unsalted butter is different than the amount in the corresponding size of salted butter.

AS for me, I use salted butter 99% of the time, no matter what the recipe calls for, and I use the amount of salt called for in the recipe. No complaints from any of my food testers so far.

26. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

salted vs unsalted is the new Mao vs Yuna

27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Me - I can tell the difference when I have toast with butter, or any meal in which I can taste butter directly.

The word "salt" is starting to look weird now :lol:

28. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Lol!! :D

29. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I try to get whatever butter a recipe calls for. But, if I have salted butter, I still add the salt, just a bit less.

Milanessa, baking can be tricky. With general cooking amounts are not critical. With baking it's almost like chemistry - and the amounts/sifting/kind of flour is critical. My Italian grandma taught me to cook. She cooked by throwing handfulls of things into a pot, tasting it and adjusting. How she managed to be a great baker is beyond me! But, she passed her techniques on to me. My daughter, however, makes chicken and rice and beans. :lol: My son is an excellent cook.

Real Tuscan bread has no salt. It is very dense and has a slight sweetness to it, even though there is no sugar in it. It tastes strange, at first. But, once you get used to it it is delicious. I make a Tuscan soup (Ribollita), that calls for Tuscan bread layered through it. I make the soup exactly the same as I've had it in Italy. But the breads here all have salt, so that changes the density and flavor a bit. I suppose I could bake my own bread first, but the soup is so much work!

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Why would anyone use salted butter in the first place, let alone add salt to salted butter for a recipe calls for unsalted butter? :confused:

We (North Americans, that is) get more than enough salt in our diet as it is, and you can't be certain how much salt is already in salted butter.