A 4-year-old fashionista????

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Really, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Fashion rules for stylish Edmonton four-year-old

:rolleyes::yikes::scream:

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

30 pairs of shoes? Are you serious? :rolleyes:

3. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I guess it's like having a real live Barbie doll for the mother.

4. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

She has more pairs of shoes than I have :eek:

10 to 15 times a day . Good grief.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. floskate

floskate Vacant

Jeeeeezus that's just so skary!! What on earth is that child going to be like in 10 years time???? :yikes:

6. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

She probably has more pairs than my mom, my brother and I altogether! :eek:

7. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

30 pairs of shoes is not excessive for an adult. For a growing child, that's insane.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Since she's such a fashionista at 4, I wonder if she's humanitarian enough to send a few pair to less fortunate kids. Or doesn't the mother teach/mention things like that to a child?

I agree with the above poster. It's like the mother plays with a living doll.

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:scream:

The explanation the mom gives, saying that obviously they are in a position to pay for it all, and that she grew up Russian Orthodox and until the age of 20 wore only handmade Russian dresses, gives some insight as to why she lets her kid be such a clotheshorse, but good grief. Forget in 10 years, she already sounds like a nightmare.

10. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I agree. I have a few dozen shoes (all types), but they've accumulated over the last decade. Does a 4 year old's feet even stay the same size long enough to wear all the shoes?!

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Kids love playing dress up, so this is not surprising at all. Changing 10 to 15 times a day is just like having a great dress up trunk, but with normal clothes and not costumes.

30 pairs of shoes for a growing child is a bit silly, but maybe some are hand me downs from other kids in the family?

12. genevieve

the article talks about the parent spending thousands of dollars a year on clothes for this kid - I would be very surprised if there is anything handed down to her.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Boy, talk about enabling.

Yes, kids like to play dress-up, but any parent who allows her kid to change clothes 10-15 times a day is not teaching that kid very good lessons about what's worth spending time on and what isn't.

And I notice that the mom and kid are shown shopping at a high end kids' boutique, which makes me think that the kid is learning that labels and $$$ are what's important in possessions. Which is not a very good lesson either.

14. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

It's not? :shuffle:

I'm already on PL's list. ;)

15. Skittl1321

Well better to spend thousands on lots of stuff (that can go to a charity shop when she's done) than thousands on a single purse for a 4-year old Suri-Cruise style.

If they have the money, I see no problem in them spending it.

16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Hmmmm. Wonder if I could make some serious money introducing the parents to the word NO? And people wonder where entitlement comes from!

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I guess I don't know why this is deemed story worthy, but to each his own...

18. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Pffft. 30 pairs of shoes. Big deal.

Why don't you have a mini-giraffe, little girl? Huh???? Tell mommy you want a mini-giraffe and you want it NOW.

19. overedge

How do we know they have the money? They claim they can afford it. But lots of people think they can afford that amount/$$$ of stuff and it's only because they're ignoring the mountain of debt that they're piling up.

20. genevieve

why do we care if they're accumulating debt turning their kid into a materialistic diva?

21. overedge

If they are, that makes the situation even worse IMHO.

22. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Why is it important to pass judgment on people we don't know based on a mediated account of a small amount of their behavior presented in the media?

(That question can apply to a large number of threads in this area of the board, not to mention all the skater interview threads.)

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  23. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Well, if we all took that attitude, the board would die, now wouldn't it? :p

24. Skittl1321

I can just as easily say "what makes you think they don't have the money".

Can go back and forth forever on this one. It's pointless too.

25. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I would be worn out helping her change clothes 10 - 15 times a day.

If she gets 9-10 hours of night sleep and a 60 minute afternoon nap, 30 minutes to eat meals (which would be a rush time), 20 minute bath, 10 minute misc stuff (like going to the bathroom), that leaves ~ 12 hours for dress up play? for 15 outfit changes a day? It is not the expensive of the wardrobe that concerns me, it is the lack or other activities.

26. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is how my shopaholic aunt's daughter would have ended up. Luckily she got two boys and my tomboy mom got the two girls. :rofl:

Nearly 10 years ago, when my family helped my aunt sort out all of her shoes, she had more than 450 pairs. I'm a little afraid of how many she might have now. :slinkaway

27. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Maybe the child will grow up to be a great designer, fashion merchandiser, or Joan Rivers, so thousands of dollars spent on wardrobe now might turn out to be a wise investment. :shuffle:

This reminds me of the time a few of my family members and friends all worked in fashion and I kept getting free designer stuffs. I never even get to try on half of those, so I'm totally at loss how anyone can actually pay their own bucks for that much stuff, but each to his own.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's right. Opulence, you don't has it. :mitchell:

But to be honest, in Mini Ice's preschool little girls wear those pink poofy sparkly princess dresses all day every day. It seems to be the trend. Not sure how many pairs of shoes they own.

Also, I recall being about 5 and having very strong opinions about what I want and don't want to wear. Of course, in the FSU fashion choices for kids and adults were limited but I did have the coolest pair of platforms. :p

Mini Ice does express a preference occasionally but it seems to revolve around wanting to wear his favorite team's jersey (Go Sharks!) or something involving Superman or Spiderman or whatever super hero he is into at the moment.

29. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

My question is, why doesn't the parent buy used? They already sell, so if they buy as well, they can indulge their daughter's fashion taste while not breaking the bank. It's even an opportunity to spin it into a teaching lesson about sharing and recycling.

Plus, didn't anyone tell the girl that vintage is trendy?

30. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Thank gOodness I have boys.