9 yr/old girl dies after being forced to run for 3 hours

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bostonfan, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

http://www.whnt.com/news/whnt-step-...rder-of-9yearold-girl-20120222,0,932859.story

While I'm sure they didn't intend for her to run to death, what possible rationale can there be to make a child run for 3 hours over a chocolate bar? Talk about an extreme punishment. They say she was punished because she ate the chocolate which contributes to a bladder issue (which I bet is bullsh*t), and you make her run for 3 hours?

And I wonder about the little girl. Was she so afraid that if she stopped running, there would be a worse punishment? There's more to this story.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Not sure what the temperatures were like where she ran but even not considering that factor, for a non-athlete to run for that long without replenishing fluids and lytes is asking for trouble. Even for an athlete the problem is the same. Poor thing.

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

So she has a medical condition that chocolate triggers---she eats chocolate putting her in jeopardy medically and her "loved ones" response is to make her run for three hours. ITA with those who believe there is a lot more to this story and it will get even uglier. Poor child....

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

When will these stories of abuse masquerading as discipline, end?

5. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Is it common for parents to use exercise as a form of punishment?* I wonder if the physical taxation is conceptualized as cruel or corporal.

*"Reasonably", not to the extreme degree as cited in the article in the OP.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The article said that the "condition" could not be confirmed, not that it really matters either way.

7. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I'm being a jerk, but why am I not surprised this took place in Alabama?

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You ARE being a jerk.

9. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Possibly in their mind, they were punishing her by making her exercise away the calories gained from eating the chocolate bar.

10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to find much on a bladder medical condition and relationship to eating chocolate other than a neurogenic bladder - which the article stated that there *might be a relationship between diet and control of the bladder condition*.

Urinary incontinence that might be helped by diet factors constitutes a punishment that severe?

Neurogenic bladder has many physical causes that make bladder control difficult

11. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Look, when I was a kid, my mom doled out punishments that involved physical activity, usually in the form of long and boring chores (weeding, cleaning out the garage, etc). I've seen middle school and high school athletes go through double and triple sessions during the summer to prepare for their sports. I've seen some parents require their children to do push-ups (never more than 10 or so pushups) to deal with behavior. But in those cases, the activities were monitored and didn't preclude drinking or going to the bathroom.

I'm sure the defense will be that they had no intent to harm and the result was unintentional, they have remorse, etc. I can already hear the plea for leniency. Grrrrr....

I have no basis for this opinion, but I can't help but wonder if they were the kind of guardians that were obsessed with weight and freaked out that she ate candy - thus having her "run it off" as a punishment.

12. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Well, at least you acknowledged it.

13. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Oh, yay -- the mom's expecting another child soon. What wonderful news. :rolleyes:

14. floskate

floskate Vacant

This is truly shocking and that's saying something in this day and age where we seem to be bombarded with stories of horrific child abuse on a daily basis. That poor girl :(

15. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Correction (I originally said 'parent's)

Poor little girl. I think her stepmother and grandmother are monsters.

RIP. :(

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I think that it is important to know that reportedly it was the grandmother and step mother. And according to one news account that I heard, the mother lives in Florida and the father was overseas.

And not jump to parents being the monsters. Perhaps the parents didn't have the child in the best care situation, but it appears that it was not the parents directly?

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Haven't spent much time in Alabama, have you?

18. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

RIP to this poor child.

19. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

There must have been a history of abuse here. She must have been too scared to tell them she needed to stop. :( That poor little girl.

20. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Yeah, I missed the stepmother part on the first read. And they updated the article to note that she gave birth yesterday. I feel very badly for that newborn.

21. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

From a non-American, what's Alabama got to do with it?

22. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Alabama is stereotyped to be a kick state full of inbred idiots who wear Confederate flags on a daily basis and run around shooting at random things with guns.

In other words, it has absolutely nothing to do with this story unless you decide to apply said stereotypes.

23. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Thanks for the explanation.

24. milanessa

Well I spent half my childhood and teenage years in Alabama and also have spent many months (all told) there as an adult but I never meant, said nor implied any of what you just wrote.

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

You left out that Alabama is in the South where corporal punishment and more harsh forms of punishment are more social acceptable.

Which I suspect was where the OP was coming from.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Irrelevant.

27. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

28. milanessa

Not really.

29. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

What a devastating story. I agree with Badams that she was probably too scared to stop. I've heard of high school football players dying after being pressured to practice in extreme heat and not wanting to stop because of that peer pressure. In this case, she was probably afraid that she might somehow receive even worse punishment. RIP to this child.

30. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know I was being a jerk, but it is pretty well known that physical punishment is part and parcel of Southern culture. This horrible story made me think of that viral video of a *Family Court* judge in Texas beating the living sh*t out of his daughter.

IMO, when physical punishment is so ingrained in a cultural area, you have stories like this one.

But yes, I'm biased. I admit that.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.