9 Year Old Girl Accidentally shoots Instructor

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Aug 27, 2014.

1. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't think there were age appropriate guns for 4 or 5 years old kids.

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

How can this be an accident? It was a totally avoidable situation and didn't need to happen.

3. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Burgers and Bullets? Really? I'm ashamed that such a place actually exists in reality and not in some Saturday Night Live skit. I would never set foot in a place that serves burgers and shoots guns. Wow. And to bring children into such a place? Wow. Just...wow.

4rkidz, myhoneyhoney, emason and 4 others like this.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Many accidents are avoidable.

5. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

There aren't. No one said there were.

6. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I definitely agree on the Uzi part, and the child services... The parents and the firing range was irresponsible.

But children can fire guns - shooting is an sport, and a skill. I had a friend growing up (in Denmark!) who went shooting at a range around 10-12 years. it was rifle shooting, as a sport, and the rifle was stored at the range, and there were instruction. I don't see anything wrong with that.

But an Uzi is not appropriate for anyone NOT in the military. I find it inappropriate for police too, btw.

7. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

You have a point there. It was always my grandfather's way or no way - you did what he said or worked with him, not against, things were fine. But any kind of push-back and he'd go hell and high water on you. This was a man who threatened to have the hospital charged with kidnapping when they refused to let my grandparents take their oldest daughter home when she was born because there was no name on the birth certificate yet (they were having trouble deciding on a name for her). He was my age when that happened.Scary thing is, I seem to have inherited his temper (from my father, who has it too).

If any of us kids ever touched his firearms without permission or supervision... I don't want to think about what kind of "hell to pay" would have ensued. And he didn't have to hit you, all he had to do was to raise his voice in your direction. As a youngster (he died when I was 16) I was scared of the man from watching him in action during family discussions/debates. I never wanted him yelling at me for any reason if I could at all help it. My grandmother used to serve as the "peacemaker" intermediary between him and others at times.

8. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

:rofl: It's actually "Bullets and Burgers." The bullets come first, don't you forget that!

9. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

My thoughts are with the little girl and what she must be going through. Hope she can deal with this.

Can't drive a car until you're 16. Can't vote unless you're 18. Can't drink alcohol until you're 21. But you can own a gun and fire an UZI at 9 years old. It makes no sense.

CantALoop, shutterbug and judiz like this.
  10. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

The name really does sound like it came straight out of a Simpsons episode.

Jubak, CantALoop, antmanb and 3 others like this.
  11. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

LOL! Crap I should have known that the bullets took top billing. :lol:

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Basically it's a recreational shooting range with a snackbar?

13. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Per Wikipedia on the general "Gun Law in the United States" page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States):
    • An individual 21 years of age or older may acquire a handgun from a dealer federally licensed to sell firearms in the individual's state of residence.[7]
    • An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state. However, the applicant may not purchase a pistol gripped long gun that does not have a shoulder stock until he or she is 21 years of age.
    Can a child legally have a gun registered under their name if it's purchased by an adult?

14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Maybe that's a thing? Though allowing children to shoot Uzis apparently isn't:
    I wonder if that's the name Mr. Cohen was born with.

skatesindreams likes this.
  15. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Genghis Cohen? :rofl: and:yikes:at the same time.

quartz and skatesindreams like this.
  16. Vash01

There are usually exceptions but that doesn't make it right for everyone.

17. madm

madm Active Member

Riflery is definitely a sport. That's why biathlon is an Olympic event. But it involves air rifles that can't kill people. If someone wants to learn shooting skills at a practice range, why can't they use weapons that are non-lethal? Or shoot rubber bullets?

18. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

That's a very typical age though I think my old boss had his son start at 8 with an air rifle.

He was a competitive shooter in the army and his kids were following in his footsteps learning to shoot to be on teams and compete. They start with air rifles and work their way up. There's lots of training and emphasis on safety and he kept all his guns unloaded and locked in gun cabinets with the ammunition locked up separately.

19. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Better yet, just get rid of the guns.

Jubak, Vash01, sk8pics and 9 others like this.
  20. misskarne

misskarne #408

Nailed it.

once_upon likes this.
  21. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

When I was a kid( albeit in the 70's) my dad, who grew up on a farm, took my brother & me out rifle target shooting. First thing he did was showed us how to line up the site with the target & then shoot. The gun recoiled and knocked me in the eye - that was the lesson - the power of the gun. Never had a desire to shoot since. Neither did my brother. My father kept his firearms under lock & key.

Today, I just don't get the need for firearms but lots of people do. I've heard all the arguments and the US needs stricter gun laws. Register. Background checks. And no military grade weapons being sold. Period. No hunter needs a military grade weapon.

satine94, Meredith, Vash01 and 4 others like this.
  22. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

new article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/u...instructor-had-been-shot-police-say.html?_r=1

:duh: :duh: :duh:

well that's coincidental. Seems unlikely that this would be the one and only time the paperwork at this range has been "blown away by the wind".

No charges will be filed :blah:

23. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Is that the shooting range equivalent of the dog ate my homework?

24. moojja

moojja Active Member

What charges are you thinking of? What charges could be filed? It's legal to allow children to fire Uzi in that state (stupid as it is). Easy enough for the owners to say instructors always make the final safety call. The instructor is dead, and no DA is going to charge the kid.

25. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Delete

26. Vash01

Sure sounds like it.

A business that lets important documents like a signed waiver get blown away by wind??? Shouldn't those go to a drawer or a box - something like that? (Roll eyes- I am not yet used to the emoticons on the new board)

27. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Convenient excuse.

28. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yes, but i would add. And then the dog ate my brain.

mag and Kasey like this.
  29. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I always did expect the family to sue the establishment for emotional distress. Which I think would be fair. That girl is going to have to live with this for the rest of her life. Nobody that young should be shooting Uzis - the people in charge should not have allowed it.

30. Vash01

The parents should not have taken the little girl to participate in a dangerous activity like shooting an Uzi. There are multiple guilty parties here, although legally none will be charged, from the sound of it.

satine94 likes this.