9 Nights of Glory tonight (Sunday) 9PM

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by mysticchic, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

9 Nights of Glory tonight features the battle of the Brian's and figure skating in Calgery from 88. Produced by Greenspan. It's on Universal Sports 9PM

2. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I have it listed as '88 Calgary: 16 Days of Glory.
    It's also supposed to feature K. Witt and speedskater Boucher (he is first up). It ends at midnight EST.

3. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up! I'm recording it now. Sounds like a good show.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Perhaps it's just me, but the narrator's voice sounds computer-like and monotone.

5. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

I still like Orser better. :p But sad to see Bowman and even Orser's mom, who died not that many years later.

And I just had to google Uschi Kezler to see what she's doing nowadays!

As an Olympics fan in general I still remember so many names from those other sports - like Nykunen (sp?) the ski jumper.

6. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I love these movies! I wish they would air more of them this week but I'm sure there's a time constraint for Universal Sports. I plan to enjoy what they're showing and I can't wait to see the next ones. Love reliving the Battle of the Brians and the ladies event. I still adore Liz Manley! :cheer:

7. tlk

tlk Active Member

Lots of fun to see all the backstage footage!

8. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

I would watch the 1984 Summer film from the library over and over again as a kid. I watched that last night, and tonight am enjoying 1988 Winter. I don't think I've ever seen the others, so I can't wait!

9. tlk

tlk Active Member

Monday night will be the '94 Lillehammer film. I haven't seen it, really looking forward to it! 9 pm Eastern time, Universal Sports.

10. beebee

beebee Active Member

The "Nine Nights of Glory" refers to the nine different Bud Greenspan Olympic documentaries that Universal Sports will air on consecutive nights from Jan. 1 to Jan. 9 (9:00 pm to 12:00 midnight Eastern) as a tribute to him following his recent death. The rest of the schedule is:

1/3 Lillehammer '94
    1/4 Atlanta '96
    1/5 Nagano '98
    1/6 Sydney '00
    1/7 Salt Lake City '02
    1/8 Athens '04
    1/9 Torino '06

These documentaries are fabulous and I'm not sure if they ever aired on non-premium cable. I seem to recall them shown on either HBO or Showtime, but I could very well be wrong about that. For me, they are a must-see!

11. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Some of us don't get Universal Sports no matter how hard we beg our cable provider...grrrr.

12. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The older ones were shown on ESPN Classic back in 2004, but all of the films from 1998 to present have only aired on Showtime. I wish they'd release all of the films on DVD--some of the newer ones are, but the older ones are only available on VHS (and are very hard to find). Universal Sports has not been showing the entire films--just selected stories from the films.

13. HeatherC

FYI: They're repeating the 9 PM-midnight version again from midnight-3 AM in case anyone misses something during the original broadcast. My regular TV shows are all new this week (figures they'd come back during this week when I want to watch Bud's movies, LOL) but I'm hoping to catch the stuff I end up missing during the second broadcast. :)

14. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

As an Olympics fan, I've been wanting to see these documentaries for some time. The first one I remember seeing as a kid was the Barcelona one. IIRC, it aired on the Disney Channel and I caught it during one of those free preview weekends that it would have every few months. (This was when the Disney Channel was a premium channel, long before we heard of Hannah Montana and High School Musical.) As of late, I saw the Salt Lake City edition and a special called "Bud Greenspan's Favorite Stories of Winter Olympic Glory" on Showtime in 2005. The "Favorite Stories" had the following stories:

The Battle of the Carmens in 1988 (Katarina Witt and Debi Thomas)

Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean (from their early years to the 1994 Olympics)

Jack Shea (one of the first US Winter Olympic champions; his grandson Jim Shea won men's skeleton gold in 2002)

Billy Fiske (two-time Olympic bobsleigh champion who was the first US pilot to die in World War II, serving in the Royal Air Force of Great Britain)

Colin Coates (Australian speed skater who competed in six Olympic Games and earned the respect of his competitors even while having to eke out a meager existence)

Maurilio de Zolt (Italian cross-country skier who, at the age of 41, helped Italy to defeat Norway in the 1994 Olympic men's cross-country ski relay)

I hope that Bud Greenspan worked on a documentary for Vancouver 2010. I wonder, can you get any of these on DVD? If so, hopefully they'll have updated information on the featured athletes. For instance, Matti Nykaenen, after winning three gold medals in 1988, had a life that would make many wild Hollywood stars look positively saintly by comparison: four failed marriages, bouts with alcoholism, stints as a singer and a stripper, and assaulting his fourth wife in 2009...

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

16. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I have been watching too. Fabulous documentaries.

17. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I get it on my laptop with a TV tuner and antenna. Can't you get over-the-air broadcast in your area? That sucks if you don't.:violin:

18. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Even if you've seen the skating before, the Greenspan documentaries reveal something new -- a new angle, at least, on the events.

The crew uses film (35mm) cameras, set up in different parts of the arenas than what we get to see with TV coverage. In more recent years, they use HD cameras, too - it's really cool how things are edited - you get a sense of being both inside and outside the athlete's mind as they recall the competition, re-live it.

19. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Just noticed tonight that the musical score is done by Lee Holdridge. :)

20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I feel your pain!
    I'm too far away for an antenna to work, either.

21. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I've been enjoying the specials. I hope they'll show even more in the future.

On a side note...Universal Sports' main poll on its front page right now is about which World Championships are you looking forward to watching this year. A couple days ago when I voted for figure skating it was winning with 50% of the vote. Now it's losing to track and field who currently has 45% and figure skating is down to 17%.

22. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Interesting that the Nagano skating one pretty much glossed over Kwan/Lipinski and really focused on Lu Chen.

Also, I was curious about Kirsten Holum, the speedskating prodigy . . . after quitting skating to get her art degree, she ended up becoming a franciscan nun!

23. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Interesting that the Nagano skating one pretty much glossed over Kwan/Lipinski and really focused on Lu Chen.

Also, I was curious about Kirsten Holum, the speedskating prodigy . . . after quitting skating to get her art degree, she ended up becoming a franciscan nun!

24. tlk

tlk Active Member

Thanks for posting about the poll. Skating is now at 18% behind track & field with 44%.

25. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing up my title. These are great. They have repeated them in the afternoons the following day. It's weird I forgot a lot of the stories over the years and it's all coming back to me. If I recall the 2002 one will deal with Kwan. I wish they had added G&G to 88 and 84.

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I just voted for figure skating. Let's all boost fs in this poll! :D

27. HeatherC

I didn't watch much of the Sydney one tonight (did they do anything for the gymnastics mess from that year?) but I'm definitely watching the SLC one tomorrow night. I am extremely happy that the Shea family story is being told on that one. They're previewing it right now and I'm all ready getting teary. :(

28. aliceanne

You should start a thread for the poll. People would be more likely to see your message.

29. aliceanne

Too late. The poll (which world championship do you plan to watch) is closed. Results:

Track and Field 37%
    Alpine Skiing 20%
    Figure Skating 20%
    Gymnastics 15%
    Swimming 5% (I think)

Oh well, I got one vote in.

30. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

I saw eight of the nine Bud Greenspan docs that Universal Sports showed this past week. I have to say, however, that I'm somewhat underwhelmed. Not at the documentaries themselves, but who Bud Greenspan chose to do his features on. Having watched the Olympics religiously since 1992, there have been so many stories that could have easily been part of the documentaries. Some features were not that interesting, IMHO. I wonder how Bud and his team chose who to focus on. Perhaps there were some that they wanted to get, but couldn't for some reasons. Of all the stories Bud Greenspan told, I like the stories of the athletes who weren't necessarily favorites or eventual medal winners or came from powerhouse countries (in their respective sports) the best.

When I heard that the 2008 documentary focused exclusively on American athletes in Beijing, I was actually kind of aghast. I felt that there were stories from the international set that deserved some of Bud's magic:

* Matthew Mitcham, the diver who prevented a Chinese sweep of the diving golds on the penultimate day of the Games; a former junior prodigy who burned out two years before the Olympics, and soon came out of the closet and rediscovered his talent for diving

* Rebecca Adlington, who came out of nowhere to become the first British woman to win Olympic swimming gold (2 times in Beijing), and who demolished Janet Evans' 800m freestyle world record

* the men's handball team from Iceland, who against all odds, won the silver medal even though they were not one of the favorites

* Nino Salukvadze of Georgia and Natal'ya Paderina of Russia, who won silver and bronze in a shooting event and embraced warmly, despite their respective countries being at war at the same time

* Abhinav Bindra, who became India's first individual Olympic champion EVER

I don't know if Bud deliberately chose to focus on American athletes in Beijing, or if that's ultimately what he ended up with. I just hope that when the Vancouver 2010 documentary comes around, there's a more balanced array of stories.

I'm probably a little irrational in this regard.