8.8 magnitude earthquake off Japanese Coast

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by gingercrush, Mar 11, 2011.

1. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

OMG the poor people. Having been through a 7.1 and 6.3 magnitude earthquake here in Christchurch that killed lives. I can't imagine how a 8.8 magnitude earthquake felt. And unfortunately Japan was hit by tsunami and more warnings has been made.

The earthquake itself was some distance but the sheer size and the tsunami has caused horrible damage.

Best wishes to those in Japan and elsewhere who are impacted by the Tsunami.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.quake/?hpt=T2

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I hope all our Japanese FSUers are safe. I have a friend studying in Tokyo, I hope he's okay.

I heard there will be tsunami warnings for the US West Coast.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Apparently a bad tsunami has hit. Water rushing in at a mile a minute! :(

4. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

So far just Hawaii.

But yeah. Thoughts and prayers for everyone in Japan.

5. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Oh god it looks absolute terrible on television. Reports of whole towns being swept away in Northern Japan.

6. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

The video feed on CNN is horrifying! The water is coming in so fast there's no escape. Most of the people aren't even aware what's happening until the water hits. {{{{{{{{People of Japan}}}}}}}}}} :fragile:

7. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

The entire town of Sendai is lost :(

8. BigB08822

I don't want to know what the death toll will be. The shots on CNN are horrifying. How populated is this area?

9. walei

walei Well-Known Member

O_O What!!!!?

10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

How terrible, the images are so scary :(

I wonder if some skaters are already there for worlds?

11. BigB08822

Oh wow, I didn't even think about Worlds. I know that is the least important right now but I do wonder what they will do. Can it still go on as planned? I know Tokyo isn't decimated but will travel be shut down?

12. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

This is just the next in a series of earthquakes they've had in that region over the last few days. Hopefully it won't mean there is more to come.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_big.php

13. BigB08822

Unfortunately there is no way to tell. :(

14. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

There is actually live footage being shown on the Weather Channel right now. How frightening. All of the Pacific rim countries, Russia and Alaska are under tsumani warnings. So far no fatalities thank goodness. :eek: :(

Everyone will be in my prayers.

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

That was one monster quake. There are no words good enough right now to discribe what is happening right now. All I can say is may god be with all those effected by the quake.

16. BigB08822

I hate to be the pessimist but I can't imagine everyone got out of the way of all of that water. There was apparently some warning but still only a few minutes. No way did everyone get to higher ground. I just hope the fatalities are minimal, considering...

17. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

We've had a number of Japanese journalists here because many Japanese died in the CBD. They in a building called the CTV building where many were studying English.

We've had a warning here for parts of New Zealand. I'm guessing its a precaution at this stage. But very scary and I feel so sorry for those in Japan.

18. floskate

floskate Vacant

What awful news to wake up to :( My thoughts are with the people of Japan.

19. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

Wow. I know there's gonna be casualties, but I'm praying there aren't. They mentioned the place Sendai on the news and I looked it up because I've heard of it before- it turns out it's Arakawa's hometown. I hope and pray for her family's safety.

20. BigB08822

They said that Hawaii should get the first wave at 2:59 AM local time. I guess that is a few hours from now as it isn't even that time yet on the East coast of the US. I remember a few months ago they watched Hawaii as a tsunami hit but it was really nothing at all. I hope this won't be bad for anyone else, Japan has suffered enough for everyone.

21. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Sadly BigBO, you are probably right. Once everything is over and the water recedes we probably will see fatalities.

The tsunami watch for Hawaii is now a warning. Ugh, :(.

22. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Quake upgraded to 8.9. Scary. Hope all our FSUsers in Japan are okay (plus everyone else obviously). :(

23. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I go to Sendai every year for snowboarding...I hope the damage is minimal and everyone is able to reach safety :(

24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

My gods :( …….sending my thoughts and hopes to the citizens of Japan.

25. Carmen Ovsiannikov

It just gets worse. Now countries involved include South America (Peru) and Mexico. The rep from the U.S. Geological Society speaking with the Weather Channel is discussing an outside possibility that CA could be affected. It look like most of the countries in the pacific will be affected.

Isn't Austrailia is still recovering from major flooding?

Unbelievable.

26. BigB08822

I don't know much about tsunamis. Do they weaken as they travel long distances? What I mean is, as it travels the VERY long journey across the Pacific, will it become less of an issue so that if it does make it to Hawaii and then even California it may be a complete non issue? Or do they maintain their strength and size until they hit something?

This video is so scary on CNN. Some of it, if not all of it by now, is being looped so I don't know how old it is but they just showed some waters rushing into farm land and you can see vehicles fleeing. I hope they all can beat the water!

27. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

(((All the people affected by tsunami))). We canĀ“t control the nature.

28. cheriepopo

cheriepopo New Member

Hope they could make it :( I know it's very difficult for all the people to escape/be rescued in such a short time and such a mad situation, but those who survived, hope they could be strong enough to handle the sadness and rebuilding their homes, that's how life goes on... There were several serious earthquakes in China in the past few years, no one should ever deserve to suffer this in their lives :(

29. BigB08822

Oh no, I just saw video and the water most definitely catches up to some of the vehicles. I doubt those people survived. :( This is so sad, I am in tears.

30. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Our Japanese tenants are very worried.

Japan has a very sophisticated tsunami warning system but unfortunately with such a big earthquake many people would not have had a chance. I think the toll is going to be huge.