&

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by essence_of_soy, Apr 4, 2011.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I'm going to Moscow for Worlds in 3 weeks.

Any tips as to how I can get around using public transport (without too much human interaction if possible).

For instance, do they have automated ticket machines I can use?

I think the length of my request cut off the thread title...so apologies for the incomplete translation.

2. senzafine371

senzafine371 New Member

I spent a month in Moscow a couple of months ago. You'll have to buy your metro card at the counters but if you simply state the number of rides you want then they'll give you the price and you pay... not much of an interaction. As for the metro there it's just an automated "gate" type thing, hold your card in front of it it subtracts 1 ride from your card digitally and you're on your way. You don't have to deal with anyone.

Learn the metro map!

3. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    the best way to avoid too much human interaction is to avoid using public transport....:lol:

Moscow metro is your friend! and like senzafine371 said: buy a card (and avoid rush hours).....:D

4. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

If you're feeling adventurous, you can use the mashrutkas. They're smallish vans/largish cars that follow established taxi cab routes that pick you up and take you wherever. Some are nice and very professional. Some fall into the nebulous category of "interesting." It's less people and more cogenial, in general, OTOH, if you are in the van with someone crazy or who smells funky, it's not like you can get up and move.

5. Elkmaria

Elkmaria New Member

I just hope they arrange for shuttle buses to and from the arena, because 'marshrutka' drivers are capable of taking people on very exotic trips, and you can never be sure where you end up :D You can also take a walk to Megasport Arena from Dynamo (Динамо) metro station (on the metro map, this station is in the upper part of the dark green line). If you're a fast walker, it takes about 15 minutes, and it won't be difficult to figure out the route - just follow the croud!

6. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Has anybody recently had any troubles in Moscow or St-Petersburg with using in ATMs credit cards issued abroad, not in Russia?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

USA issued cards have been having problems with some ATM machines and check-out devices through out Europe, because they don't have a "chip" (only magnetic tape). Most of card scanning equipment in Europe is switching to "chips recognition". But there are many variations, exceptions, and details to what I am saying. US cards still do work in many places.

8. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

:cold: