70th Tony Awards - Sunday, June 12, 2016

jenny12

Always enjoy the Tony's. I only know of Hamilton which I'm sure will sweep the awards.

Skittl1321

I missed the first hour, other than the opening, which I already watched, anything I need to search for?

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I think Lin's beautiful speech was in that first hour so go find that to hear his touching sonnet. I can't remember anything else specific that you need to search for right now.

Sylvia

TBD
Wow that was awesome
Love is love is love is love is love
Wow! Lin-Manuel Miranda! Beautiful speech.
I think Lin's beautiful speech was in that first hour so go find that to hear his touching sonnet.
ETA new link to Miranda's acceptance sonnet on CBS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nsg0tE11Gw
What a classy speech from Frank Langella.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkrUoXWPzM
(more videos from the Tonys are on CBS' YT channel)

James Corden's "Broadway Carpool Karaoke ft. Hamilton & More" skit with Miranda, Audra McDonald, Jane Krakowski can be watched here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YshgmStEZh0

Link to the official Tony Awards YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgTKPfton70dBiDrGmlhCSw

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
A few years ago it seemed that there were a lot of presenters who were there because they were famous from TV or movies, not theatre. It seemed like this year they made a point of choosing presenters who may have been famous from other media, but who actually had theatre experience on Broadway. I really liked that - we can see movie or TV stars on lots of other award shows, so give the theatre folks their chance to be recognized.

(and while I know that Barbra Streisand is an icon and is in her 70s, her face looked more waxy and frozen than her statue in Madame Tussaud's. Please, Babs, don't do this to yourself...)

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Oh ouch sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you! I'm feeling a bit better today but its definitely bruised (nice long dark bruise where my back hit the step) and still pretty sore. Hopefully I'm on the mend now though since I can move around more today than I could yesterday or Saturday! :)

Debbie S

Glad you are feeling better, @HeatherC!

I usually don't watch the Tony's, but I wanted to see the Hamilton performance and found myself enjoying all the performances, even if I hadn't heard much about a lot of the plays and musicals. Now, I want to spend a week in NYC seeing all of them. :)

screech

Loved that they showed Carpool Karaoke, though kind of surprised that it was a different version than what he aired on his show last week. The original didn't have "You'll Be Back" (Hamilton), but included "Seasons of Love" (Rent) and "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" (Jersey Boys).

I was slightly underwhelmed by James as the host. I really enjoyed the bits with the nominees singing outside before commercials - a nice treat for those out there too. And for some reason I always forget that Steve Martin is a (5 time!!!) Grammy winning musician, so it's always a shock at first when I see him with his banjo, then it just makes me smile.

You've almost got to feel bad for every non-Hamilton musical, though. They were probably all thinking 'why the hell did we have to choose this year for our release?'

Cachoo

I keep going back to Miranda's beautiful sonnet over and over again. That might be the most beautiful award acceptance speech I've ever heard. He is a treasure and maybe in ten years I'll be able to get tickets to "Hamilton."

Sarah

@Cachoo -- I keep watching Miranda's sonnet too. Truly beautiful. I managed to get Hamilton tickets Sunday night from the new block for April. So I have almost a year, but I'm going to see Hamilton!

I really enjoyed this year's Tonys. I normally fall asleep during award shows, but not this year. I definitely want to see the Color Purple and Waitress now.

As for James Corden, I really liked him as a host. Much more than I expected. The Law and Order part was brilliant!

Cachoo

@Cachoo -- I keep watching Miranda's sonnet too. Truly beautiful. I managed to get Hamilton tickets Sunday night from the new block for April. So I have almost a year, but I'm going to see Hamilton!

I really enjoyed this year's Tonys. I normally fall asleep during award shows, but not this year. I definitely want to see the Color Purple and Waitress now.

As for James Corden, I really liked him as a host. Much more than I expected. The Law and Order part was brilliant!

It is, by far, my favorite awards show and even knowing one show would win most of the awards it was still interesting and vibrant. I loved the way the cast of "Hamilton" closed the show. And there is a reason Corden hosted the MTV (Europe) awards show year after year ( I think it was James.) He is a wonderful talent. That opening number was awesome. I liked his opening comment---It's like the Academy Awards ...with diversity. So true. You must post your review of "Hamilton" one day.

Skittl1321

You've almost got to feel bad for every non-Hamilton musical, though. They were probably all thinking 'why the hell did we have to choose this year for our release?'

I think last year's musicals though the same thing about Fun Home.

Spareoom

Make no mistake, these shows may not be willing the awards that they might be winning other years, but they are without a doubt benefiting from being in the same season as Hamilton. People are planning trips to NY to see Hamilton, but they're not *just* seeing Hamilton. They're picking up tickets to other shows as well. I actually think that there's a handful of shows that made the transfer to Broadway this season simply because there is a demand of theatergoers, and Hamilton can't satisfy it alone. So other shows are picking up the strays, and they wanted to be that show. Think of how many people tuned into the Tony's last night that normally wouldn't have, and how many shows got some really incredible publicity that normally would not be so impactful. People tuned in for Hamilton, but left wanting to buy tickets to shows like The Color Purple or Waitress. THAT is the power of riding off the success of others.

Of course there's all the shows that opened and then closed rather quickly, but there's ALWAYS shows like that every season. Trust me, Hamilton has been a guaranteed hit for over a year; producers knew exactly what they were getting into when they decided to move their shows this season. It was all very calculated and as long as they're making money and filling seats, I doubt anyone is going to be kicking themselves for not winning an award or two.

BelleBway

a monkey stole my title
I think last year's musicals though the same thing about Fun Home.

But Fun Home was never a foregone conclusion to win Best Musical (a lot of people were predicting American in Paris), and had nowhere near the level of hype as Hamilton in general. Also, it won 5 Tonys which is not even half of what Hamilton won, so it wasn't as lopsided as this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information