70 Years Ago Today…December 7, 1941….

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

70 years have now passed since that terrible morning…..A horrific attack that ushered the US into a horrific war started two years before, with a horrific loss of life, both military and civilian, from so many countries from both Allied and Axis nations.

Back then, Japan and the US were bitter enemies…..Today they are strong Allies.

Pearl Harbor Through The Eyes of a LIFE Photographer (Photo Gallery)

Nation Pauses To Remember Pearl Harbor (CNN Article)

I will be taking a few minutes today to reflect on the events that happened 70 years ago, to honor the memories of the 2,402 men who died aboard the ships that were destroyed or damaged - especially the USS Arizona, the USS Oklahoma, the USS West Virginia, and the USS California , as well as the 57 civilians killed in the attack, and the 1,282 military and civilian wounded. I hope others will, as well.

May this world never experience a dark time in history again such as this. May there never be another war of this level of depravity and with as devastating a loss of life. May there one day be peace, freedom, and liberty - for everyone.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

3. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

One of greatest moments of my life was visiting the Arizona Memorial in 1964 and seeing the name of one of my uncles on the wall....

4. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

"....a day that will live in infamy..."

NJL

5. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Well said.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Lest we forget....

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The day lives in my memory.
    My late parents made me realize how important it was, when they described their thoughts, feelings and how the event impacted them - as I grew up.

My mother worked in a defense plant.
    My father was an aviator in the Army Air Force, serving in Europe and North Africa.

Bless all those who served and sacrificed so that we might have the lives and opportunities we enjoy today.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

In 2007 I visited Pearl Harbor. I took several pictures there; one of them was of the USS Arizona Memorial. It was quite an experience to visit it. Every Dec.7th I place that picture on my desktop.